Q !

Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmb
The incident that I'm referring to in the subject title was in a game I played earlier today. We had a rift open in Devil Reef on the Innsmouth board. What--if anything--is supposed to happen if the rift moves into a vortex?

It didn't actually enter the vortex in our game; we had sealed Devil Reef and kept pulling Devil Reef mythos cards, so the Deep One track filled up faster than we could get there to do anything about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless things have changed, it goes into the vortex and sits there, spewing out monsters that immediately enter the vortex. Rift alos still adds a doomer if you draw the correct color movement symbol (since the doomer is keyed off the color of the symbol on the Mythos card, not the arrow it moves on).

"[KH] 3. What happens if a Rift appears in Kingsport and moves into a Vortice? I would say it simply remains there, spitting out a monster that instantly passes through the vortice every time it is supposed to move, but again, the rulebook doesn't say. (06/13/08)
If a rift moves into a vortex, it just sits there, as you surmised. Note that a rift will still add a doom token / spit out monsters if it cannot move. The drawing of the proper dimensional symbol on a mythos card is the trigger for that, NOT the actual movement."

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and this is why Rifts open in Kingsport in my games (the last token placed on the Rift Track reveals the location of the open Rift).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JGT
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a Rift opens in a non-Arkham location, I just grab halfway down the Mythos deck, cut, and put the Rift on the Arkham Location on that Mythos card. So the Rift opens where it belongs: in Arkham, where it doesn't need extra rules to make it work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
...and this is why Rifts open in Kingsport in my games (the last token placed on the Rift Track reveals the location of the open Rift).
yeah, I like that - it seems to fit better thematically and - and it's a big and - it means you get serious activity in Kingsport, which - like Dunwich - always seems such a sleepy little town. Once Rifts start opening you're definitely going to need at least two Investigators in Kingsport - one to deal with monsters so that the other can get to Locations to Investigate them. Almost makes me want to play Kingsport again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I must admit, I don't play by strict canon...

All of my games consist of 4 Investigators. Presently, I use all of the following components: AH + CotDP + DH + KiY + KH + LatT

With two additional boards, I reduce the "# of Investigators" to 2, vice 4, for things such as...

- # of Gates Open to Awaken GOO: 8
- Monster Surge: 2, or number of Open Gates
- Monsters in Arkham: 5 (2+3)
- Monsters in Outskirts: 6
- Rumors (requiring per player placements)

Rifts open in Kingsport (seems like they should when you read the box!)
- Place Rift Markers on the Rift Track only when a Gate Opens (including Gate Bursts), but not Monster Surges (as Kingsport otherwise doesn't dilute...at all)
- The last placed Rift Token on the Rift Track identifies the location upon which the Rift opens in Kingsport

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.