United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
It gives the impression that there will be no way for me to read any part of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Brown
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the difficulty is that there is no text in the logo to be read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely unreadable.

Also, the ratings for the game are... uh... weird.

Not a good way to "push" a Kickstarter project, according to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rocchi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer

That's hilarious. I saw the ad banner on the Geek a few days ago. It was just that unreadable logo and nothing else. I guess I thought it was another of those puerile MMOPG, or whatever you call them and gave it a pass.

Now that you've called my attention to it, the game does actually look interesting. The one card I have seen is too cluttered with that gothic script. Couldn't you just have found an interesting clear font, and not one that looks like the cards were illuminated by monks?

I will agree though, that the shill ratings are crazy. No way I'd kickstart this, but I will wait and see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sizemore
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.NevermoreGames.com
badge
This is NOT a Chihuahua. It is a Sphynx cat. A bald, grouchy Sphynx cat who will bite you if you mistake him for a Chihuahua.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, give the poor guy a break! I agree that the text in the ads is difficult to read--I actually clicked on it to see what the word was--but it looks like an interesting game. And if you're working on a game that you truly believe to be as good as or better than anything else on the Geek, what should you rate it? A five?

I'm certainly going to Kickstart it, at least at the $1 "make me a PnP playtester" level. It's apparent that a lot of care has been taken to polish and improve Lyssan. If it turns out to be half as good as it promises to be, I'll go the full Monty and chuckle at the folks who have to pay $100 (see: Alien Frontiers) for a used copy after it's released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to post the exact same thing.

As far as the ratings/comments go, this one stood out for me:

Quote:
The self-contained turns -- giving you the ability to step away from the table -- are a welcome bonus. It makes play feel more relaxed, even while other nations' borders are crushing in on your own.

I don't want to play a game that is "highly engaging" yet I can step away from the table and feel no disconnection. Admittedly these are comments from the dreaded "new user" realm so they may not be completely authentic, but the idea that I can get up from the table and wander away for awhile while everyone else does their thing doesn't sound like the social experience I try to have when I play a board game with my friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baudot wrote:
Perhaps the difficulty is that there is no text in the logo to be read.

If it isn't too late, you should really look into creating a more readable game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we talking about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. If you didn't know what you were looking for you would never be able to parse that out. Take that, turn it sideways on a box, and it will be nothing but a brown streak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came to this site for the same reason. I wanted to let the designer know that the word Lyssan is totally unreadable without already knowing what it says. Even the title words on the example cards on the company's website are not that easy to read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
I too found the title unreadable...and clicked on the ad because I was curious what the hell it was. whistle

mbialeck wrote:
I came to this site for the same reason. I wanted to let the designer know that the word Lyssan is totally unreadable without already knowing what it says. Even the title words on the example cards on the company's website are not that easy to read.

Seeing a sample card with the same font worries me a bit, though. This sounds like a neat game, the art on the card is gorgeous, and the rest of the card design is clean. But "Tangled Schemes" and "Courtier" are both pretty annoying to try to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie T
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castef wrote:
Also, the ratings for the game are... uh... weird.

Not a good way to "push" a Kickstarter project, according to me.

Reading those comments in the ratings are like those crappy ads on TV where 'random' people are asked their opinions. Anyone with half a brain can smell the BS a mile away.

Change the font & get rid of those crappy ratings. I think it would be for the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sizemore
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.NevermoreGames.com
badge
This is NOT a Chihuahua. It is a Sphynx cat. A bald, grouchy Sphynx cat who will bite you if you mistake him for a Chihuahua.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shyne wrote:

Reading those comments in the ratings are like those crappy ads on TV where 'random' people are asked their opinions. Anyone with half a brain can smell the BS a mile away.

Change the font & get rid of those crappy ratings. I think it would be for the best.

Yeah, get all your friends to rate the game a three, and talk about how mediocre it is. That will convince everyone that you're "genuine", and the Kickstarter pledges will storm in! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sisteray wrote:
Yes. If you didn't know what you were looking for you would never be able to parse that out. Take that, turn it sideways on a box, and it will be nothing but a brown streak.

i second that.thumbsup I clicked on the ad just to be redirected someplace where the text was readable

BTW if the logo was meant as a way to attract banner clicks, then it served it's purpose well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Brown
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, good to know what's bugging folks. I'm catching up with Allan (who's doing the graphic design for the card backs) tomorrow, and will raise the concern with him.

Regarding the ratings, I asked some of the alpha testers to give it a rating and write a review before it hit KS, just so folks could see that it was being played and wasn't a pipe dream. That's pretty much all that was said. Naturally, I asked the testers who seemed most enthused about the game and who'd gotten some of the most plays in. And yeah, they all gave it 10s. Presumably they were just meaning to be supportive of a friend. It looks suspicious? Yeah, it does. Sorry 'bout that. The print & play version should be ready to go before too much longer, and hopefully then we can get some more ratings on the game from a broader audience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cc the calm
Austria
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparos Achaparos wrote:
I clicked on the ad just to be redirected someplace where the text was readable

That´s exactly what I did

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Lazaroski
United States
Montgomery
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will have to throw my hat into the ring as well and say that the logo is nearly unreadable. Hopefully you will sort it out as it probably does need to change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say I really like the logo stylistically. However, I can't argue with the lack of readability
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasoncarlough wrote:
I have to say I really like the logo stylistically. However, I can't argue with the lack of readability

Agreed. I like the look of the card overall, but the logo needs to be more legible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sizemore
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.NevermoreGames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cyalume wrote:
jasoncarlough wrote:

Agreed. I like the look of the card overall, but the logo needs to be more legible.

I'm not sure it matters so much for the card backs, but I think you'll want the name to be easily readable somewhere on the box. The style of the art is very attractive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just preordered the game because it looks really interesting and I like the artwork. I do agree with folks here that the Lyssan logo is nearly unreadable and needs to be reworked.

Anyhoo, good luck on your project!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing...

I can see how the '10' ratings will turn some people off, having the opposite effect of what you were intending. Perhaps another way to approach this is through Session Reports and having the playtesters answer questions here on the forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Soderlund
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumping on the wagon re: the unreadable logo. But the artwork looks great and I am intrigued by the game, which looks like it might be right in my wheelhouse. I watched the two-minute video at the Kickstarter site, but I'd love to see a longer video that goes into more depth on gameplay (like a DiceTower or Drakkenstrike style review). Maybe you could make one of those to generate more interest and get some more backing. I'm seriously considering kicking something in to this. I was fortunate enough to get a first-run Alien Frontiers game and am a slavish devotee of the cult of the new. Anyhoo, good luck to you on this endeavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Brown
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Equalitytime wrote:
I watched the two-minute video at the Kickstarter site, but I'd love to see a longer video that goes into more depth on gameplay (like a DiceTower or Drakkenstrike style review).... Anyhoo, good luck to you on this endeavor.

Thanks!

Kevin over at 2d6.org was the first to request a review copy, so keep your eyes peeled in that direction for the first independent review. I'm very chuffed at the notion of getting more review copies out. Drakkenstrike, from what I've seen, reviews finished products and components, so their take on the game is likely months away. I'll be excited for the day that happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
At first glance, I thought it said "Tyson." A gothic boxing game? Actually, it looks pretty interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.