Enrique Carro
Spain
La Coruña
La Coruña
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After several games of Dunwich Horror, I moved to KiY. Since I had mixed all the monsters from that expansion with the core game (except Mask and Spawn monsters), I kept them for this game. It pitched Dexter Drake, Jenny Barnes and Mandy Thompson against Yog-Sothoth and the Herald. Let's see how it went.

First Gate opens at the Cemetery. (Clue at Unvisited Island). The Mythos card makes the Terror Level rise by1, so I put a Yellow Sign on the Terror Track, and draw a Blight card. It's Doyle Jeffries, so the Mobs enter game, all of them near my investigators. So near in fact that Jenny stays at her initial location (the train station), because she can't sneak past the mob at North Town. Dexter goes to the Forest and picks a clue and the Old Diary (common object). Mandy sneaks past a mob and reaches the Science Building, and gets a clue (her fifth, she starts with four) and the Petrifiant Solution.

Second Gate opens at the History Society (Clue at Silver Twilight's Lodge) the Mythos card releases another two monsters, so after only one turn for the Investigators there are 7!! monsters on the board (the three mobs, two that entered through Gates, and these two brought by the Mythos card). The mobs move, so Jenny can go to the Curiosity Shop (she gets Holy Water). Mandy kills the two monsters that entered this turn at the Streets of the University of Miskatonic (a Shoggoth using the Solution, a Rat Being through Fight rolls), and Dexter reaches the Church.

Third Gate opens at Unvisited Island (Clue at Science Building). A Hunting Horror moves to Mandy's Street, but she sneaks past it and gets to River Quarter. Dexter has luck at Silver Twilight's and gets two clues, Ruby Standish as Ally, and an Unique Object that turns out to be an Elder Sign.

Fourth Gate opens at Hibb Motel (Clue at Independence Square). Dexter arrives at Uninvited Island and enters R'lyeh through that Gate (with its -3 to the roll for sealing it, it's the best place to use the Elder Sign). Mandy sneaks past the Dark Young protecting the Gate of the Cemetery, and enters the Plateau of Leng. None of their encounters is relevant. Jenny gets to the streets of the Center, evading a mob.

Fifth Gate opens at Independence Square (Clue at The Unnamable). The Mythos card takes the Dark Young back to the reserve, and rises the Terror Level. This time I decide to put a Yellow Sign on the Doom Track. A Gul enters and moves to the Centre, where Jenny kills it. Mandy and Dexter past their second otherworldly encounters without further problems.

Next turn, again ind. Square, (and another clue at The Unnamable) so we have a monster wave. Luckily, with all the defeated monsters, the Terror level is not increased. The first two monsters go to the Outskirts. With the Mythos card, a Shoggoth reaches the streets of the Center (from Independence Square), and also the Hunting Horror. This proves too much for Jenny, and she must go to the Hospital after failing her dice roll.
Dexter seals the Gate with the Elder Sign, but Mandy fails. Jenny pays 2$ and gets all her stamina back.

Next Gate opens at the Forest. The Mythos card gives the investigators a chance to get Blessed if they get a Luck (-1) roll, but they all miss.
Dexter reahces the Unnamable and gets three Clue tokens (he has 6 now), and another one with his encounter. Mandy evades the monster at her Location (an Elder Thing), and manages to get two successes (Yog-Sothoth makes more difficult to close and seal Gates) to close and seal the Gate, sending a Shoggoth, a Hunting Horror and an Elder Thing back to the reserve, leaving only one on Arkham, and the mobs. A lucky turn, this time.

Next turn, again Ind. Sq., another 4 monsters enter the board. The card is a Rumour. Each turn I'll have to send an Ally back to the box, until any of the investigators delivers 5 clue tokens at Ma's. This turn Dexter is too far, so he picks a clue at Witch's House. Jenny buys Consuption at the Magic Shop, and Mandy meets "Mountain" Murphy, but can't pick his card.

"The Next Act Begins". Terror Level increases (again I put a Yellow Sign on the Doom Track), Mandy gets a Clue, and I DON'T put two Doom markers on the Track, so the Act is still going on.
This turn Dexter gets to Ma's and delivers the 5 clue tokens, so all the investigators get 5$, Mandy kills a Sectarian on East town, and Jenny sneaks past a Hound of Tindalos that moved to the Magic Shop last turn.

Next turn, another monster wave (yes, Ind. Sq. again, another clue at The Unnamable) rises the Terror level to 4, and I put another yellow Sign on the Doom track. Of all the monsters that entered game this turn, two of them go for Jenny (a Flying Polip and a Formless Spawn). She kills the Spawn with the Holy Water, and manages to evade the Polyp. Dexter, still at the streets of south Town, can't sneak past a Maniac, so he kills it.Mandy goes to the Police Station, and delivers the Gate and monsters Trophies needed to get the Commisioner cards.

Next turn, the Unvisited Island, so nothing happens. A clue appears at the Science Building, and two monsters appear on the streets of the Center. Dexter gets to the Science Building and picks two Clue tokens, so he has 5 again. Mandy gets to the Unnamable and picks a clue, and another with her encounter. Jenny enters the Gate at the Forest, although without clues, and enters Yuggoth. There, she gets a clue.

Next turn a Gate opens at Witch's House (clue on Black Cave). Mandy goes to the Black Cave and gets her fifth clue. Drake enters the Gate at Witch's House and goes to Other Dimension. Jenny gets three clues, but gets delayed 1 turn on Yuggoth.

Next Gate opens at the Black Cave (there are now 6 open Gates. Another one will make Yog-Sothoth awake), absorbing Mandy to Celaeno. The Doom Track is now at 10 (Y-S awakes at 12). The three investigators have harmless encounters this turn.

Next turn, another monster wave at Ind. Sq. (with clue at The Unnamable) rises the Terror Level. This time I have to put the Yellow Sign on the Terror level, and I pick a Blight card. It's the Dean, so I have to take an Elder Sign off the board. In a very ill-fated decision, I pick the one on the Cemetery.
On this turn Dexter Drake seals the Gate at Witch's House, and Jenny closes the Gate at the Forest. With this, three monsters on Arkham and one of the Outskirts go back to the reserve.

Next turn, a Gate opens at The Unnamable, taking the Doom track to 11. the clue appears on the Forest, giving Jenny her fifth clue just in time. Mandy returns from Celaeno, but doesn't manage to seal the Gate. She makes a roll to keep the Patrol Car, and she gets a 4, so she keeps it. Dexter goes to the church to be blessed.

Next turn, the Mythos card opens a Gate... AT THE CEMETERY!!! This takes the Doom Track to 12, and Yog Sothoth awakes. Mandy has no Gate trophies, so she gets devoured. The other two investigators manage to resist a couple of turns before being devoured too...

I must admit this was a very bad game on my side. I put too many yellow Signs on the Doom Track, considering that my investigators this time manage to kill a good amount of monsters. The icying of the cake was that very wise decision of taking the Elder Sign from the Cemetery, where the last Gate opened...

I wasn't expecting to beat this expansion at the first game, but I must admit this hasn't been my most brilliant game. I had a very good time, as usual, but things could have been better.

Can't wait for my second round...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report.

Did you play with the KiY cards on top, or shuffled in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report! I've beaten Dunwich alone and King in Yellow alone, but I've never tried using the two together. Sounds nasty! Let us know how the next attempt goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique Carro
Spain
La Coruña
La Coruña
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I shuffled the cards. With all the monsters from the Dunwich Horror in play, I thought that playing with TKiY cards on top would be too difficult. Seeing the results, perhaps next time I'll play with them on top, it can't go worse...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.