Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Jones
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the extensions that allow a player to turn in 2 squires for an upgrade and 3 squires for another (1) knight. Is this limited to one use per round or as many times as a player has squires to meet the requirement? We decided to play it as one use per turn but I suppose it could go either way. Any comments and/or help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We also played that it is one use per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Cramer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Each knight / castle extension / noble can be scored only once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Jones
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response Matthias

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lino L
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sleeran wrote:
Each knight / castle extension / noble can be scored only once.

why is that so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably just a wild guess on his part. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lino L
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Beyond being the designer, I think its important to understand the why. A designer is no more in charge of the way gamers play and their interpretation, than a writer really knows how her story is read and interpreted.

My own experience, is that I found NOT being able to use the castle upgrade more than once (the army upgrades) made absolutely no sense to me. And was incredibly frustrating. I had assumed when playing that I could use the army upgrades as long as I had the income and serfs to upgrade. Intuitively I interpreted this as a economic expansion strategy. And it made sense to invest heavily in the castles and to try to dominate the acquisition of banners to do so. Which I did. Reading the rule clarification didn't exclude that interpretation either. And there was debate (after the game was over) on our table about whether it means once or as per income.

It handicapped me immensely not being able to use all that surplus, and I found myself losing parity with the other armies who followed the direct military path. Even though, absurdly, I was awash in cash and serfs. I certainly had the income, but was knee-capped by what I experienced as an absurd mechanic--not being able to spend what I had accumulated.

It also really made castles (developing self economy) quite pointless, that is to focus on aquiring self sufficiency through building up a decent economy--in terms of money, serfs and upgrades. It would make a big difference to allow multiple upgrades.

I actually think when interpreted this way, as is possible, it still provides a balanced game. And widens the strategy options too--in terms of specializing on conquest, foreign ventures, or economy for example.

I'd be inclined at the very least, to have this possibility as a variant or house rule.

Best, and by the way, fantastic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
With regard to the rules as written, clearly the other castle extensions can only be used once per turn. Once cannot keep taking +2 squires and +2 coins ad infinitum. So by "extension" (pun intended), they all can be used only once per turn.

In terms of balance, the castle would become an economic engine that would overshadow other paths to victory as it would all but guarantee the early leader in extensions would always be the leader in knights, which equates at some point to actions. It would snowball as the additional actions would allow for more collection of squires than get run through the engine.

As it is, it is a tight balance where one cannot afford to fall behind on knight upgrades and additions. By the third game or so, players realize they must place a knight in the castle for a one time action if they are bounced from the rewards in the counties and acquire squires to facilitate this.

I believe your alignment toward your interpretation came from your initial misunderstanding that would imbalance the game. You can play it several times each way, but I expect that with your house rule players who do not get castle extensions early will fall hoplessly behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, squires and coins are really there to be spent in the counties, more so than in the castle extension military industrial complex.

Squires help you take control of a county and money helps you realize dual rewards for that control (the noble and the upgrade/extension/etc/).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Shackelford
msg tools
Just got the game. It's great. Are you saying only once per round, or only once for the whole game? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Once per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.