Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a joke.

Some one walked into a pharmacy, stole some drugs shot two people who work there and two people who shop there.

Technically, a mass murder is 4 or more.

The guys then ran from the place towards my house.

When my brother arrived for Father's Day festivities, he noted there were cops everywhere and that they were detoured around.

Several times, the wireless speakers in my back yard got all static and my son would point out it was police radio as a cop car went by.

It was a manhunt.

The guy is still loose.

I've never been to this pharmacy myself, but its in the same parking lot as my dentist.

This is close enough to home that it is in the area my 12 year old son has permission to bike. I run past it sometimes. I drive by it every day.

This is unsettling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Several times, the wireless speakers in my back yard got all static and my son would point out it was police radio as a cop car went by.
What brand of wireless speaker? I built the protocol stack for chips used in some fairly popular wireless or outdoor speakers, and we're in 2.4GHz which I wouldn't expect a police car to use. Police have their own bands. If they are bleeding into ours strongly enough to screw up the speakers, that's a problem. If we bled out of the public use band badly enough to interfere with police communications, the FCC would shut us down so fast our heads would spin!

(I'm working now on a new chipset that moves into the 5GHz band, but again, should be far away from police use spectrums.)

Edit: Sorry, I realize that the main point of your article was on people being killed and not outdoor speaker technology, but as a nerd I focus on what interests me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
They're simply labelled Brookstone, not sure who the actual manufacturer is. It would be blasts of static, no recognizable signal, just something cutting off ours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/06/20/new.york.pharmacy.shooti...

CNN wrote:
New York (CNN) -- New York authorities are searching for a gunman wanted in the killings of four people shot to death inside a Long Island pharmacy, police said.

Police described the suspect, who was also caught on surveillance video, as a thin man about 5 feet 8 inches tall. He was unshaven or had a dark beard and mustache along with short, dark hair.

He was wearing a white baseball hat, sunglasses, a dark-colored hooded sweatshirt, blue jeans and dark shoes, authorities said. He was wearing a black backpack.

The shootings, which took place Sunday morning at Haven Drugs in Medford, occurred during a robbery of the pharmacy, Suffolk County police said. The suspect stole prescription drugs after the shootings and fled on foot, authorities said.

Police identified the dead as Raymond Ferguson, 45, and Jennifer Mejia, 17, both pharmacy employees, as well as customers Bryon Sheffield, 71, and Jamie Taccetta, 33.

Mejia's death comes just before her prom -- scheduled for Wednesday night -- and her graduation from Bellport High School on Thursday, said school secretary Maryann Malcolm.

Police said the suspect should be considered "armed and extremely dangerous."

Calls to Haven Drugs were not immediately returned Monday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha, they're not mine. It sounds like they use analog (AM or FM) transmission. Ours never make static; if there is interference, we first drop the audio quality, then if necessary cut to silence for as long as the interference lasts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

The guy is still loose.

When he gets to prison, he'll be even looser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

This is unsettling.

I know that feeling. The first day of the DC sniper attacks, the four shootings were in what amounted to a square around my house. Of course, they moved further away after that, but those were a scary few days.

Here's hoping they find this guy soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Our building at work was on lockdown last year when a UAH professor shot and killed several faculty members across the street. That was disturbing but it probably would have been more so if she had been on the loose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Wayne Gacey dumped a few bodies about a mile from the house I grew up in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuri Walkiw
Canada
Sturgeon County
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's really scary stuff. It really hits hard when it's close to home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
They keep telling me hyper vigilance is a side effect of living in a warzone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoweel wrote:
Our building at work was on lockdown last year when a UAH professor shot and killed several faculty members across the street. That was disturbing but it probably would have been more so if she had been on the loose.

As a biology professor, this hits very close to home. How did I not hear about it when it happened?

I hope the find the guy in your area soon, Paul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
snoweel wrote:

As a biology professor, this hits very close to home. How did I not hear about it when it happened?

This was in the biology department here, last February.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_University_of_Alabama_in_H...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This is unsettling.

As it should be. I've read more about the incident yesterday. It is tragedy that the drug addict / shooter felt it was necessary to kill everyone in the shop just to obtain pills. I hope they get the killer soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cosmic Charlie
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I just whipped out gmaps pedometer, and I measured my house to where the six killings by the D.C. snipers in Montgomery County, MD, happened. The average is about 2.75 miles, and the closest was a shade over a half mile away. That was a pretty paranoid time for many in my county, though strangely enough not for me. I knew the odds were high I'd get shot next. MANY people around me were jumpy, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cosmic Charlie
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoweel wrote:

Amy Bishop?

She was quite wacky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.