Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don’t like to alter games much but here is a small tweak that is working well for my group.

-The leader does not get a Boost bonus if their sled is balanced.
-The other players get the regular bonus (2nd position = 2 space bonus, 3 position = 3 space bonus, etc...)

This is a very small tweak but it seems to be doing the trick. We have played 4 games now and it has worked quite well.

Oh, and we have also avoided using the bottleneck track piece that tend to help the leader while hurting the other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like this would change the strategy to "stay in 2nd as long as possible, and boost ahead for the win at the end"

Not sure about this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a VERY small tweak. At the end of the race the most the leading player will be missing out on is a single speed point. The trick, as the leader, is to try and block the trailing player from passing you.

Drafting or tracking is a common strategy in a lot of racing and I think having the possibility of passing the leader is better than not having the possibility.

Of course the important thing is balance. You don’t want 2nd place to be superior to 1st. I think this variant does that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobagabe wrote:
This is a VERY small tweak. At the end of the race the most the leading player will be missing out on is a single speed point.

The most? If he was balanced 6 times, you've taken 6 spots away from him, not 1. If player two and player one both balance 6 times, that's 12 bonus to 0 now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was not aware the game needed a catch-up mechanic tweak...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Dogs 5+5 > Brake 1 > 5th place. Who needs to Fix the Catch Up Mechanic???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete S
United States
MACUNGIE
PA
flag msg tools
Check out my shop at BoardGameBoost.com!
badge
mbmbmbmb
I don't understand why the game needs a catch-up mechanic at all. The order in which sleds cross the finish has nothing to do with who wins. You're basically just playing against yourself and the track during the race, and then trying to get as far as possible past the finish line to win. Am I wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcpete22 wrote:
The order in which sleds cross the finish has nothing to do with who wins. You're basically just playing against yourself and the track during the race, and then trying to get as far as possible past the finish line to win. Am I wrong?

Yes. The amount of space you run over the finish line only decides the winner among those sleds who cross the line in the same round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete S
United States
MACUNGIE
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You are right, I am wrong! I'm glad we had this little discussion, as I had read the rulebook improperly. I missed that one little word "round" in the book, and just saw the part that specifies the person farthest past the finish is considered first, which may differ from who crossed the finish first.

Now this game will be much more fun (though the 2 plays I've had with it so far were fun already, even the wrong way)! Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The most? If he was balanced 6 times, you've taken 6 spots away from him, not 1. If player two and player one both balance 6 times, that's 12 bonus to 0 now.

Of course, you only get to those 6 bonus spaces if player 2 never overtakes player 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.