Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darcy Hartwick
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Simple question really - when do you reshuffle your discard pile to recreate your deck?

Is it "when you need to draw a card but can't" OR "when you need to draw OR REVEAL a card but can't"?

This applies to lots of cards - thief, pirate ship, swindler, fortune teller, hunting party, golem... I always thought you'd just set the revealed cards so-far aside, then reshuffle your discard and continue revealing.

Yet I feel like I've seen cases on isotropic where it didn't go like this... but on the other hand I've never seen a pirate ship only reveal 1 or 0 cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
aitrus wrote:

Simple question really - when do you reshuffle your discard pile to recreate your deck?

Is it "when you need to draw a card but can't" OR "when you need to draw OR REVEAL a card but can't"?

This applies to lots of cards - thief, pirate ship, swindler, fortune teller, hunting party, golem... I always thought you'd just set the revealed cards so-far aside, then reshuffle your discard and continue revealing.

Yet I feel like I've seen cases on isotropic where it didn't go like this... but on the other hand I've never seen a pirate ship only reveal 1 or 0 cards?

You have it right--you shuffle the cards that were in your discard, not including any that have already been "set aside." That's (I think) the reason for the distinction between "set aside" and "discard" for cards like Library and Golem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Hartwick
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if someone plays fortune teller, I reveal my last 5 cards with no victories cards... I keep those 5 aside, shuffle my discard pile up, and then continue revealing from there until I hit a victory card.

If I happen to go through all and there are no victory cards, I just shuffle everything together and fortune teller effectively "misses"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aitrus wrote:
As above, the latter, though I'd suggest a phrasing such as "any time you need a card from your deck and one isn't present." This will also cover things like needing to discard off the deck (Jester, etc) and other mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Hartwick
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got curious enough to go check the rules pdf.

“Reveal” – when a player reveals a card, he shows a card to all players and
then returns it to wherever it came from (unless instructed specifically to
put it elsewhere). If the player is required to reveal cards from the top of his Deck, and he does not have enough cards, he shuffles in order to
reveal the required number of cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
aitrus wrote:
As above, the latter, though I'd suggest a phrasing such as "any time you need a card from your deck and one isn't present." This will also cover things like needing to discard off the deck (Jester, etc) and other mechanics.

Yes, there are many mechanisms that access your deck, any one of which might trigger a reshuffle: draw, reveal, look at, discard, trash. It doesn't even need to be accessing the top of your deck: Pearl Diver will trigger a reshuffle if your deck is empty when you need to look at the bottom of your deck. The only thing that really doesn't trigger a reshuffle is putting something on to your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
aitrus wrote:

The general rule is, any time you need to do anything with cards from your deck and there aren't enough, you use the remaining cards, and shuffle to get the rest you need. This is spelled out in a later rulebook; for the main set rulebook only drawing and revealing are covered because other cases couldn't happen.

You will find this covered over and over in the rulebooks, for every card FAQ that invokes this rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aitrus wrote:
So if someone plays fortune teller, I reveal my last 5 cards with no victories cards... I keep those 5 aside, shuffle my discard pile up, and then continue revealing from there until I hit a victory card.

If I happen to go through all and there are no victory cards, I just shuffle everything together and fortune teller effectively "misses"?

Close. You reveal the last 5 without a hit, and so you need another card. That triggers a shuffle of the discard pile (the revealed cards are not yet discarded and so not shuffled). You reveal the rest of the deck. You need another card, that triggers a shuffle -- oops, no cards -- and so Fortune Teller misses.

Now you discard all those revealed cards, but you do not shuffle, because nothing has triggered a shuffle yet.

Note that as a practical matter, many players (myself included) will "pre-shuffle" at this point, so as to be ready with a deck, but if something hits your discard pile before the shuffle is actually triggered, you'll need to re-shuffle all that stuff together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aitrus wrote:

Yeah, this is pretty much right. When you need to interact with a new card, and there isn't one, you shuffle your discard pile, make a new draw pile from it, and keep going where you left off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.