R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
This user loves Easter eggs.
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned elsewhere I have a lot of difficulty with the Catan. The Red/Green/Yellow/Brown/Orange color combo all blends together as a 70's orange. Everything but the blue and white playing pieces.

Ticket to Ride might have been difficult but they put the symbols on the cards. Love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alper
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SET!

I love this game in principle, but I can't play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Pask
Belgium
Deurne
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This one:Qwirkle
Didn't actually expect this to be an issue, afterall
there are symbols on the pieces !
Boy was I wrong ! The lady explaining the game to me asked
at least 3 times if I actually understood the game;
as I kept messing up the colours gulp

As she's a regular in our club she was aware of this little issue
of mine "Ah right you can't see the different colours of the shapes!"
I answered back "huh? The same shape can have different colours ?"

Few minutes later, this game was bagged, time for an
other game ....

Bernie

Edited for typos ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oliphant wrote:
As mentioned elsewhere I have a lot of difficulty with the Catan. The Red/Green/Yellow/Brown/Orange color combo all blends together as a 70's orange. Everything but the blue and white playing pieces.

Ticket to Ride might have been difficult but they put the symbols on the cards. Love it.

Thanks again for setting this Guild up for everyone!

Catan is bad for me as well. I have the 1st edition Ticket to Ride, and can't play it. The symbols help, but by the time that edition came out, I was pretty much done playing that particular game.

The only game I haven't been able to find a good "fix" for is Through the Desert. I'd really like to play that game, but it just scrambles my brain to look at it, with 5 colors of camels, and then another batch of colorful riders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Thompson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes as with a few other people I found the catan card game really bad when I played it for the first time this week. you can look in the rules for the name of he card to find the colour but it just meant the game took a lot longer.

I am pretty new to gaming so don't really have other examples at he minute but I will be on the look out everytime I play a game now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alper
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colorado_Jeff wrote:

The only game I haven't been able to find a good "fix" for is Through the Desert. I'd really like to play that game, but it just scrambles my brain to look at it, with 5 colors of camels, and then another batch of colorful riders.

My colorblindness is relatively mild and all we had to do to make the game playable was put sharpie marks on the nose and tail of the set of camels I had the most trouble with and be sure to play with bright lighting.

It's a great game, but it would be definitely be easier for me if the camels contrasted with each other more.

It's surprising, because Knizia is so often good with color issues. I *love* the symbols for Ingenious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Dias
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D-Day at Omaha Beach

The game map is a nightmare for a red/green/brown colorblind like me.

I took a color copy of the map, and I'm going to mark it with my own symbols, but the task is not an easy one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did try marking the game but made a mess of it. Just too many colors in this one for me. I keep thinking I'll come back to it and figure something out, but it hasn't happened yet.

I do mark cards though, if suits are too closely colored. I used a blunt (never sharp) pencil, and make subtle dots in the corners near the indexes, on the suit I need to differentiate. When you know they're on the card, you can see them easily. People who are unaware of them don't even notice them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tmalper wrote:
It's surprising, because Knizia is so often good with color issues. I *love* the symbols for Ingenious.

I love Knizia games, but I often have trouble with color in some of his titles. Royal Turf, Battleline, Tigris & Euphrates (the green and red tiles for me), Formula One, and many more I'm sure.

I've come up with good fixes for most all of them, though. (except TTD).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Problem Game: Winner's Circle

I have the Alea version, and there were several contrasting color issues with the horses. This was an easy fix. Each horse has a permanent position printed along the top of the board. Earl Grey is first, Albino second, and so on. I took some small circular Avery labels (I use various labels for many fixes), cut them in half, and stuck them to the horse's bases. Number each horse based on its printed board position, and you'll never have trouble tracking the horses again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heiligmann
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
30 years ago, I was put on the original Car Wars!
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Quirkle. A nice, easy game I'll pull out periodically for some of the younger gamers in the family, and I have trouble.

Blue/purple, red/orange. The shades give me trouble, as if they're too close.

I've almost considered remaking the game with wooden cubes and much different and brighter colors, or adding words to the cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Varela
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the guild! I'm in!
It would be good to add a couple of existing geeklists... any idea if you can add them to a guild?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Worst games...

Through the Desert: repainted 3 sets of camels, now recommend Hacienda and/or Terra Nova instead.

Reef Encounter: I can't work out how to salvage this. I really want to play it, too, but the tiles are impossible.

La Città: I marked-up the board with a sharpie to show where some of the spaces are, since I cannot see them otherwise. Looks like cr@p. shake

Charon Inc.: Replaced all the clear, sparkly plastic gems with generic cubes.

Caylus: Gave up trying. Still own it, but only because I hate to admit defeat. I'd love to talk to someone from Ystari about colour choices, because the Yspahan board is problematic too.

Macao, Ys, Timbuktu etc: I ask endless questions while playing. Would play these much more if colours had been selected intelligently.

But the absolute worst of the lot?
SET: I contacted Set Enterprises in 2007, asked if there is a colourblind friendly version of their game (it is advertised as an "educational resource", so this seemed likely). Their response was incredibly rude, sneered at the problem and said there is no plan to introduce a competently designed version (my terminology, not theirs). So I made my own copy from scratch, with completely different symbols.
It is pretty dull, as games go, but they do not deserve support anyway. Whenever possible I steer people away from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aphicha Phawapaphawin
Thailand
Rat Burana
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loot is worst. Even the non-colorblind have the trouble with this game.

SET. I love this game and I want to play it more. Just give handicap to others. I feel great if I won. (and I have ever won this game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Austin Kinslow
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
"OBVIOUSLY."
mbmbmbmbmb
For me Race for the Galaxy had the most stumbling blocks... I had Caylus troubles but when I got the deluxe edition the paint was slightly richer and stood out I suppose. I still have to squint.

Even with the watermark in the background I sometimes screw up Innovation - I have to make sure I'm splaying correctly and such based on the little icons

Good to have a community surrounding this hurdle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Broadway
United Kingdom
Eastleigh
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:

Hmmm... Yes they fixed it, in a way that 'just' about caters for most colour-blind gamers (tiny, tiny symbols). HOWEVER - Don't buy the iPad version thinking the same will be true!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luk
Belgium
Mechelen
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from Caylus, Set and RftG which are already mentioned, Jungle Speed is absolutely unplayable for me. I really can't tell the difference between the red/orange symbols and the green ones. Removing the colour cards from the game would do the trick, but that would be ruining the game.

Actually I don't mind, since I really don't like the game at all, but some friends do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Pask
Belgium
Deurne
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vitriool wrote:
Jungle Speed is absolutely unplayable for me. I really can't tell the difference between the red/orange symbols and the green ones.

As I only have a milder form of Daltonism, Jungle Speed works for me, BUT !
I'm sooooo very slow at it, it takes a while for me to correctly determine which colour we are looking at, needles to say I always loose. So in the end Jungle Speed is on my 'avoid-when-you-can' list also.

And I must admit, even Halli Galli is a challenge for me, too slow again. (but I keep telling everyone that's because of my colour problem .. is that cheating ?)

Bernie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Pask
Belgium
Deurne
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering, would it not be better to create a geeklist on this ?
Bernie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen
Belgium
Rotselaar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Jungle Speed, even with the colour-issue I have like Vitriool, but I actually win most of our games so am not complaining

It's Factory Fun that I have a real problem with, I bought the Z-man edition but am putting it up for trade because the colours frustrate me too much (even after I modified the game).

same with Railways of the World 2nd edition..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alper
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
Worst games...
But the absolute worst of the lot?
SET: I contacted Set Enterprises in 2007, asked if there is a colourblind friendly version of their game (it is advertised as an "educational resource", so this seemed likely). Their response was incredibly rude, sneered at the problem and said there is no plan to introduce a competently designed version (my terminology, not theirs). So I made my own copy from scratch, with completely different symbols.
It is pretty dull, as games go, but they do not deserve support anyway. Whenever possible I steer people away from the game.

From the faq at
http://www.setgame.com/set/set_faq.htm
Quote:

Q) I am color blind - any help?

Color blind people can enjoy SET® too! If you have trouble with only two of the colors have a friend make a black line on the bottom and top border of one of the colors. Thus you will know, for example, if it has a line it is red not green. If you have trouble with all three colors, have a friend mark the green cards with a line at the top and bottom border of the cards. Mark the red cards with a line on the side borders of the cards and leave the purple cards alone. The lines will enable you to determine what color each card is.

Well, I guess that's helpful, though I don't need them to suggest that. I mean, they they could have just as easily suggested I make a set of my own cards with better colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Marquette
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
Click to see this player's page
badge
These computer things are going to get really popular... some day...
mbmbmbmbmb
Vitriool wrote:
Jungle Speed is absolutely unplayable for me. I really can't tell the difference between the red/orange symbols and the green ones. Removing the colour cards from the game would do the trick, but that would be ruining the game.

We have removed the cards that switch into "Color-mode" and it hasn't hurt the game any for my gaming group. For some reason this is never a game I think of as having a color issue. Also, with the expansion, it adds a "play the pile to your left" mode that has the same effect of confusing you about what to look at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
This user loves Easter eggs.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernie_be wrote:
I'm wondering, would it not be better to create a geeklist on this ?
Bernie

Done! Worst games for people with colorblindness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy Pinto
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the desert is painful... They should sell a neon camels version to complement the pastel camels...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernie_be wrote:
This one:Qwirkle
Didn't actually expect this to be an issue, afterall
there are symbols on the pieces !
Boy was I wrong ! The lady explaining the game to me asked
at least 3 times if I actually understood the game;
as I kept messing up the colours :gulp:

Oh man I know.. so many times I am CERTAIN the piece I have is correct. THe orange and yellow for me really blend together in this one, I think lighting helps. I need to play this game with a flashlight..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |