The Lost Cause» Forums » Rules

Subject: Emancipation Proclimation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Hughes

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
I was fortunate enough to achieve European Military Intervention... Next turn the EP happened. The card says move the ER marker back 1. Does that -1 square still happen post arriving at ER 5 or 6? Can one be "derecognized?" I noticed the rules do state that the European navy effect never goes away. But can other effects be lost like resouces at end of year during Diplomatic Phase? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans von Stockhausen

California
msg tools
Good Question Luke! This needs to be clarified in a future rules update. To answer your question: my intent was that you can't be de-recognized. Assume the Europeans have determined that recognition and intervention is in their interest overriding any moral objections to slavery. In this case Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation is perceived as - he feared it might be - an act of Union desperation. This might change but for now that is how I'm calling it.

Hans
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hughes

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for quick reply and the added history as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hughes

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
So just to be clear... The marker does not move back fom military intervention square?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans von Stockhausen

California
msg tools
A bit late with this reply. But- Yes.

I recall some previous discussion about allowing it to drop back to just plain recognition. But I want to keep it simple using the rationale I mentioned earlier.

Hans

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Schreiner
msg tools
What about applying the same rule here as in the Advanced base rule? A Union army can never be forced back beyond its Advanced base. Shouldn't the Confederates get a similar break here? When their European Recognition track reaches 5 that is its new "Adanced base" and it cannot be retracted farther?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Schreiner
msg tools
I would add this would also seem to make the "EP" a moot point by this time. Once the EP/ER marker reaches Block 5, it cannot be recalled, even if "EP" is drawn, and since a "6" always wins, a 6 (or 5-6) with the commerce raider present, moves the marker to Block 6 permanently.
That's the way I play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
jps32016 wrote:
I would add this would also seem to make the "EP" a moot point by this time. Once the EP/ER marker reaches Block 5, it cannot be recalled, even if "EP" is drawn, and since a "6" always wins, a 6 (or 5-6) with the commerce raider present, moves the marker to Block 6 permanently.
That's the way I play it.

I'd say this is fine, except if Richmond falls. In this circumstance, the ER track moves one space to the left(!). I'd say all bets are off if Richmond falls. Further, the Emancipation Proclamation, even if it was played earlier, now becomes operative. Yeah, it is a bad day for the Confederacy.

That's the way I play it. Of course, this is totally unauthorized. But, it does give the Union some recourse in the event of European Recognition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.