Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernie Pask
Belgium
Deurne
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not very fond of marking cards or play-pieces, I try to avoid this when I can, the game might even not be yours when playing.
(for the record I do not have severe Daltonism!)

So, I often resort to other ways to help me overcome colo(u)r issues :

In general :
Maybe influenced by compulsive behaviour, I like to keep all my play pieces sorted, shape by shape, and colour by colour, I even tend to sort them per fixed sequence (first yellow, then Orange....) It was already mentioned in the original thread ; Other players keeping their resource cubes piled often makes it hard to 'read' what they have at their disposal.

In my local game-group, players are aware, and often ask me before starting a game which colour I'd like to play, I usually end up with very bright colours like Yellow or even white or black.

I focus on details, symbols, or textures often not noticed by regular players. Sometimes it pays of to stand up at a game to ensure you have a good overview of the board, without giving away what area you are focussing on, I might even look slightly to the left, but my eyes are looking at the absolute opposite, trying to avoid to give away what you are looking at. It doesn't always help, and might raise eyebrows, but you try to be casual about it. lol

Another proofed method is ... asking ....

Shaped play-pieces are a blessing also, cfr Agricola.

Game specific ones
I can't think of many but this one for starters 7 Wonders, as I've played a few lately, the game mechanism by which you pass cards along to your neighbour makes it easy for you. If in doubt about a certain coloured card, one can ask the neighbour that has passed the cards to you. He/she has seen that set already. But silly me, tends to ask the wrong neighbour every single time, as the direction of the passing of the cards changes every round surprise

Any other examples ? In general or game-specific ways you play without marking the pieces.

Bernie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a set of alternate pieces that can be swapped-in for the pieces that come with a game. Specifically, 10 different colours of cubes, discs, pawns of various sizes. I bought them from Spielmaterial.de. Games like Charon Inc. or Ys are made playable once the pieces are replaced - and at the end of the game we swap them back again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Marquette
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
Click to see this player's page
badge
These computer things are going to get really popular... some day...
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernie_be wrote:
Another proofed method is ... asking ....
I've gotten very good at holding cards from different games in a way that only a small portion of the color is visible when asking my neighbor...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sizemore
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.NevermoreGames.com
badge
This is NOT a Chihuahua. It is a Sphynx cat. A bald, grouchy Sphynx cat who will bite you if you mistake him for a Chihuahua.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm paying at my house, or someplace where I can set up the lighting, I have found that different color lighting from different angles is very helpful. If you have "soft" (read: "orange") lights in a ceiling fixture, put a lamp with a daylight bulb next to the table. The different colors of the pieces become easier to distinguish because they reflect different amounts of the two light colors: red or orange pieces will look much lighter in the "soft" light, while blue and green pieces will look brighter in the daylight. This is usually enough of a help that I don't have to ask anymore.

In general, paying attention to the color of your lighting can make a big difference. If a particular game is difficult under "soft" lighting, try swapping in a daylight bulb (or vice-versa) -- you may find that this makes the game playable for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls