• [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how that Gravity Rift variant would work in TI3, since all movement has to be be to the activated system and if you don't go out the side you want, it may not be possible to make it there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greycloak
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming there are special rules for the Asteroid Field system as well, unless it's intended to be a Saar available system only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
The entire system is not an Asteroid Field. It is only surrounded by one so you would have to have Antimass Deflectors to get to the planet.

As for the Gravity Rift, I had used it before and it was originally a TI2 system. In bringing it in to TI3 I have the player initiate an activation but then roll the dice. You may not get to where you want to and if not then you take the CC away from your intended destination and place it where the Gravity rift send you. That is what I did before TI3 Shards added the Gravity Rift back into TI3 and I am going to keep it that way as my players are already used to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tawnos76 wrote:
The entire system is not an Asteroid Field. It is only surrounded by one so you would have to have Antimass Deflectors to get to the planet.

As for the Gravity Rift, I had used it before and it was originally a TI2 system. In bringing it in to TI3 I have the player initiate an activation but then roll the dice. You may not get to where you want to and if not then you take the CC away from your intended destination and place it where the Gravity rift send you. That is what I did before TI3 Shards added the Gravity Rift back into TI3 and I am going to keep it that way as my players are already used to it.

In TI2, you rolled for each individual ship trying to leave the system, not the entire fleet.

Personally, I don't like that it could change your intended activation point; what if you had other ships that wanted to move to the previous activation point? All of a sudden, those ships aren't allowed to move? Especially if you were only trying to move a single ship out of the Gravity Rift, and many others from elsewhere, the fact that one ship gets misdirected forces your entire activation to be invalidated?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had to change it a little with the addition of the Gravity rit to TI3.

My original one made you roll if you went into it and thus you never actually stayed in it ever. Now that they added one with a planet I have had to redo my variant as now you have to be able to stay in the area to take the planet.
It is a hazard system so it should effect some penalty.
My previous ones to second in penalty to a Supernova and I wanted to keep some of that danger with the newer revised one.

sigmazero13 wrote:
what if you had other ships that wanted to move to the previous activation point?

With this Hazard an activation for movement is only for those ships in the Hazard. It would not allow for joint movement from other systems. Makes it rather harsh and to keep the planet as one a player would want I would place one of the Artifacts there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. I admit, I'm not enamored by it, as I think it's too harsh a penalty, but then again, I'm kind of a tightwad when it comes to house rules too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I have to change the rules around from what I used to do with it is is a variant in process and if it does not do well with the group it will be scrapped and we will go back to the normal version.

I know you are mostly a RAW player and I am more a variant player. Have been since I started PC gaming and it seemed to travel over to my board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel C.
United States
Deshler
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love the idea of planets in the special systems. I can't wait to play with the ones in Shards. I think the Asteroid Field is a good idea.
Also - I really like the special system on the TI3 forum 'Old Mine Field' and think one of those should have a planet in it. It really would work well thematically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An alternative to Sol's Racial tech that might be more useful then the new one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.