Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Edit: (The subject title is meant to be a joke.)

Puerto Rico introduced two game mechanics I would love to explore further, but I was a little bored with the game. I liked how each player chose an exclusive action for that turn, and unselected actions could not be performed that turn. I also really liked the idea of the worker placement mechanic for resource production and such.

Are there any other games you can recommend that have one or both of these mechanics, a stronger theme, and maybe a little bit more interaction?

If they have a trading aspect to them, that would be a big plus.

So far, the only game I've found is Twilight Imperium, and getting a group together for that is quite a challenge in itself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kentaro Sugiyama
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the same wavelength with you... as I immediately thought of TI3 as THE "Ameritrashed Puerto Rico".

How about Galactic Emperor? Role selection is the meat of the game, and plays in 90 minutes. 3 to 6 players, and you don't need a whole day! (Edit: Staincastle beat me to it. Argh!)

Race for the Galaxy is a parallel development of San Juan, which is the card-game version of PR. 2P to 4P. 60 minutes!

Ad Astra allows you to program up to 3 or 4 role/actions in a queue, from your hand of 11 different actions. However, everyone else has their own slightly unique hand, so several players could program the same action(s) for sub-optimal play (which can be hilarious). People call this "Settlers in Space", I call this "fun". 3P to 5P. 60 minutes.

EVE: Conquests is an EPIC game with a unique "Calendar" mechanic--players have three different actions: development, production, and logistics, that they schedule on the calendar, in a staggered fashion. Not quite role selection, but definitely variable phase turn order. 2-4 players. 120 minutes.

All are space-theme games... that wasn't intentional.

Citadels has wicked interaction, where you secretly draft a role from a hand that is passed around the table. Only YOU get to play your role. Watch out though! The assassin or the thief can get you, if you choose poorly. While it scales to 7P, depending on the players, it can drag and downtime suffers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
Age of Mythology: The Boardgame is OOP but easy to find, and is basically PUERTO RICO, but with troops you can hire using resources and attack each others buildings and loot warehouses with - doesn't get more AT than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Outkast wrote:
Age of Mythology: The Boardgame is OOP but easy to find, and is basically PUERTO RICO, but with troops you can hire using resources and attack each others buildings and loot warehouses with - doesn't get more AT than that.

This.

Age of Mythology is highly underrated (assuming you play with the designer's suggested rule change of hits on 5 and 6.) Tons of plastic pieces. Basically Puerto Rico with combat and resources/tech trees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
File under shameless self-promotion: Empires of Iron
However, this one is still a ways off from publication.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hinotori wrote:
Race for the Galaxy is a parallel development of San Juan, which is the card-game version of PR. 2P to 4P. 60 minutes!
What the...?

Only the first time!

(for having such a terrible first impression of Race for the Galaxy - a 6p game where I was the only one who didn't know what was going on - that game's got ridiculous staying power with me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

+1 Galactic Emperor is the game you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RuneWars come really, really close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Kopena
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outkast wrote:

+1 for Age of Mythology. It's exactly what the OP is looking for, and actually a pretty good game if you accept that it's just Puerto Rico with combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
Outkast wrote:

jkopena wrote:

+1 for Age of Mythology. It's exactly what the OP is looking for, and actually a pretty good game if you accept that it's just Puerto Rico with combat.

franklincobb wrote:

This.

Age of Mythology is highly underrated (assuming you play with the designer's suggested rule change of hits on 5 and 6.) Tons of plastic pieces. Basically Puerto Rico with combat and resources/tech trees.

Yes - the OP may have been joking with the title, and some of these other games are very good in and of themselves, but really, AoM absolutely IS PUERTO RICO AT-style, right down to the Action Selection (pretty much the same as role selection, with more options due to the military elements) and worker placement, plus ludicrous amounts of well-crafted bits, massive amounts of dice rolling, and combat as a major game-deciding element - IOW, all the hallmarks of AT.

Clearly, I agree most of the negativity on this game comes from 1) the admittedly flawed original combat rules, which are easily fixed 2)people who don't appreciate the combat making for a different game and felt it was too much of a 'ripoff' of PR.

I was going to come back and mention the rule change Franklin mentions, which helps level out the combat mechanics greatly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Roach
United Kingdom
Ellesmere Port
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oeste wrote:
Am I really going to be the only supporter of Cyclades and Mission: Red Planet in this thread?

In another thread you state that you have not played Mission Red Planet after deciding to pass on it because you already have the 2 main elements of the game in Citadels and Alien Frontiers.

I wonder whether you have played Puerto Rico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
oeste wrote:
Yes, I have. I can very much understand why someone would want an ameritrashed version of the game too.

I think part of the question comes from how little the games in question seem like PUERTO RICO - I see very little connection between PR and M:RP, especially since the latter has no generating of resources, just resources that show up automatically.

IOW, while both are good games, neither seems a good fit for AT Puerto Rico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.