Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
I notice there's a thief action space. I know this will make me sound like an anti-confrontation whining Euro fan... but what's that about? It seems incongruous with the rest of the game. Can Phillip or any playtesters convince me that it's a worthwhile addition to the game without wasting the leader's whole turn by denying one key resource?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't think it's a terrible space. It means you need extra resources to guarantee you can buy what you need to. It means you have a way to get one of a resource even when all the collection spots are full.. It means a little less certainty.

We didn't use it much, since you can usually get more than one cube for an action. But since you also deny someone a cube, it is balanced. It's only worthwhile if you really need something you can't get otherwise or really need to deprive someone of one specific cube.

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jugular wrote:
I notice there's a thief action space. I know this will make me sound like an anti-confrontation whining Euro fan... but what's that about? It seems incongruous with the rest of the game. Can Phillip or any playtesters convince me that it's a worthwhile addition to the game without wasting the leader's whole turn by denying one key resource?

I wouldn't call it overly nasty or confrontational, because it's one option among many, and the impact isn't what makes or breaks a turn.

It's less powerful late in the game when resources are more readily available to all the players. But early on, it can be a real magnet for the player first in turn order - why place a pawn on a map space generating a single resource, if you can place a pawn to get you a resource of your choice and hurt your opponent at the same time?

One of the things I really like about this game is how the value of certain actions and possibilities will change as the game progresses. This forces players to constantly re-evaluate which choices should have priority for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.