Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PROPHET Planning/Expert/Optional

Predicts Encounter Winner

You have the power to predict. If you are not involved as a main player or ally, you may use this power before encounter cards are selected to predict aloud which main player (offense or defense) will win. A deal counts as a win. If you are correct, you gain a colony on any one planet of your choice. If you are not correct, the winner selects any two of your ships and sends them to the warp.

HISTORY: Declaring themselves to be omniscient, the Prophets set forth into the promised vacuum of space to seek a new home in the interstellar wilderness. Are these Prophets false? Only the Eons will judge.

FLARE

Planning
Wild: Before encounter cards are selected, play this card and secretly select predict whether one or negotiates cards will be played. Conceal that many cosmic tokens in your hand to indicate your prediction. If your prediction is correct, each other player must lose a ship of their choice to the warp. If you are wrong, pass this card to the player on your left.

Planning
Super: You may predict after cards are played, but before they are revealed.

Commentary: This is a rules power originally published by Eon. I do not like this power. While it's great to gain a colony, it's not unheard of for the player you predict to win, even when you "just know" he will win, to lose the encounter on purpose to prevent you from gaining a colony. Even so, I don't mind the two ship loss for predicting incorrectly. What I do mind is that someone else chooses the ships. As the game progresses and your ships are spread out you will lose a colony, sometimes two. That's just too high a price for me. Better if the Prophet player chose the ships for my taste. So what happened in a game I played with Prophet in it? At game set-up, if you pass on a power dealt to you, you give it to another player to keep, possibly. I passed Prophet. The player decided to keep it. He won the game because of it. @$%#*!!!! Still, I will continue to pass Prophet. I am unwilling to pay the price. If for some reason I have to play it, I will make some predictions. Better to use it than have no power at all, and you get a better reward for predicting correctly than Skeptic.

A question arises as to what happens when Prophet predicts, both main players play Negotiates, and a deal is not made. Since the predicted winner didn't win, Prophet loses ships, but who chooses the tokens since there is no winner? General consensus is that the other main player chooses the ships anyway. However, I interpret the power that the winner has to choose the ships. Since there is no winner, no one chooses the ships. Since this is not a common occurrence, I don't find Prophet becomes too powerful because of it. Besides, considering how I feel about Prophet, the power could use a break. Sigh, even if another player is Prophet.

Conflict changes: Lose Flare if predict incorrectly for the Wild effect.

Conflict commentary: Nothing really to add. They just made cosmetic changes for Fantasy Flight. Using tokens for the Wild Flare means they really don't want people to have to use stuff that doesn't come with the game, like pen and paper. It wasn't such a big deal before, but I guess they're concerned some customer somewhere would have a hissy fit over it.

Gerald Katz
Don't forget to tip the Butler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fun to manipulate people into throwing the encounter just to screw with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
hadsil wrote:
A question arises as to what happens when Prophet predicts, both main players play Negotiates, and a deal is not made. Since the predicted winner didn't win, Prophet loses ships, but who chooses the tokens since there is no winner? General consensus is that the other main player chooses the ships anyway. However, I interpret the power that the winner has to choose the ships. Since there is no winner, no one chooses the ships.

I'm not so sure that's the general consensus. I've been playing as you say for Eons. No winner = no ships lost (and nothing gained, either).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta agree there. If there is no winner then you don't lose anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Until now I had tweaked mine to say "If you are not correct, the winner the predicted player's opponent selects any two of your ships and sends them to the warp." This didn't change the normal winner/loser scenario; it just answered the question in all the other scenarios.

But you guys are starting to make me think your interpretation is better. Something like "If you are not correct, the winner selects any two of your ships and sends them to the warp. If there is no winner, your power has no effect."

Both of these options solve the problem; but mine penalized Prophet in a deal situation whereas yours does not. Ordinarily I'd say this is one of those powers that should start out with a prerequisite of there being at least one attack card in the encounter, but of course we can't know that at the time of the prediction ... so I guess we need to bring that prerequisite in through the back door. Make sense?

hadsil wrote:
A question arises as to what happens when Prophet predicts, both main players play Negotiates, and a deal is not made.

Or even if a deal is made, since a deal is not a win. (Which is actually a good thing, since then we'd have yet another question about what to do when there are "two winners".)

hadsil wrote:

That's not a change; Eon worked the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:

Or even if a deal is made, since a deal is not a win. (Which is actually a good thing, since then we'd have yet another question about what to do when there are "two winners".)

Power specifically says a deal counts as a win.

Bill Martinson wrote:

hadsil wrote:

That's not a change; Eon worked the same way.

Hadn't realized that. I'm translating to Fantasy Flight from my Mayfair Powers of the Day. With Flares one-shots in Mayfair, they didn't need that stipulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
hadsil wrote:
Power specifically says a deal counts as a win.

Whoops, right you are. Time to beat myself with the RTC stick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.