Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mettle
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok, so I am thinking about picking this game up, and have been reading a bit on these forums about what is best to buy to start out.

I plan on playing fairly casual at first, but I know myself well enough to know that I'll want to buy the house packs for what we decide to play most.

I've heard many people say to buy 2 core sets, and then the expansions have 3x of each card (later prints at least). Here are my questions:

1. How many of each card can we have in a deck? assuming 3 here...
2. If expansion packs contain 3x of each card, and the core set contains 1x of each card, why do people say to buy 2 core sets and not 3?
3. Do all expansion packs now contain 3x of each card? or are there certain prints I need to watch out for?

Thanks for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mtndrf wrote:
1. How many of each card can we have in a deck? assuming 3 here...

Right, 3 is the max of a single title of a card you can have in your deck.

mtndrf wrote:
2. If expansion packs contain 3x of each card, and the core set contains 1x of each card, why do people say to buy 2 core sets and not 3?

It's just a suggestion for a good place to start. By all means buy 3 if you want to get a full playset.

mtndrf wrote:
3. Do all expansion packs now contain 3x of each card? or are there certain prints I need to watch out for?

Starting with the Brotherhood without Banners cycle the distribution is x3. A Clash of Arms, A Time of Ravens, King's Landing, and Defenders of the North, are all the x1/x3 distribution. All the box expansions should be reprinted now in the x3 model as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mettle
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply.

So, I see that you choose decks based on 'houses'. How does someone get a wildling deck, nights watch deck, etc?

And what did you mean by x1/x3 distribution?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You will still more than likely choose a house (although there is a neutral house option). The cards you need are wildlings and night's watch cards found in the Defenders of the North cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mtndrf wrote:
And what did you mean by x1/x3 distribution?

10 cards come x1, and 10 come x3 (40 altogether). To see the specific breakdown look at the Dabbler database. You'll see the quantity of the card per pack to the right of each individual card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
I don't think he would like that.
badge
"A single action or event is interesting, not because it is explainable, but because it is true." - Goethe
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you've already gotten the answer to your question... did anybody else notice that this is the Thread of the Beast?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Ashby
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mymil wrote:
Since you've already gotten the answer to your question... did anybody else notice that this is the Thread of the Beast?

Came here to see if anyone noticed, leaving satisfied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iron James Rackham
msg tools
mbmbmb
Mymil wrote:

Cool. And yet, only one thumb? Start thumbing! 666th thumb will get 6.66 GG from me (if I ever get my hands on that much... modest)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mtndrf wrote:

Two is a workable compromise. Three core sets works great, but may seem too pricey to some people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.