Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ignacio Góngora
Spain
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that sitting down in front of a person for enjoying a boardgame with certain complexity is the best leisure experience. If you know well the opponent, it usually emerges a very special competitivity in each game and if, on the other hand, you hardly know him, an "one on one" game makes possible for you to know how is him in only two hours and while you are having a great time.

Besides wargames, games designed exclusively for two players are usually abstract games, too soft in its approach (many of them with suffix "pocket") or if you don´t mind, the games that I call "direct confrontation", played normally with a deck and sometimes including a small board. In late 2009, I considered the challenge of designing a thematic and management game for two players having the biggest paradigm of these games in mind, the magnificent "Twilight Struggle".

If I say to you that I considered different thematics and historical ages until I found the one which fit most with my first ideas, I would not be honest with you, because right from the start and with a huge conviction in my choice, I wanted to design a game based on a period which is usually treated in boardgames covering basically their military aspect: the Classical Greece from the V century BC.

It is a fascinating age and difficult to think about a period from antiquity in which the best and worst of the human being are clearly noticeable. At the beginning of the century, the Greek were able to forget their differences and they joined forces facing the Persian threat to avoid extinction as people with its own entity. In my opinion, that victory defines the western world in which we live in the same way as the development of the Roman civilization.

After that survival landmark against a neighbour with a land military power superior in number is when "Polis" begins. The two most powerful cities: Athens and Sparta, each one represented by a player, started to show their disagreements and quarrels at once, distancing themselves by two different manners of understanding life. In this period, an extraordinary development occurs in Culture, Thinking, Arts... All of us know that fact. Its epicentre was in the Athens of Pericles while bloody confrontations took place between both adversaries, like the so-called Peloponnesian War.

That final confrontation finishes in fact with the Classical Greece because even though Sparta was the nominal victor of the war, actually, both sides lost, weakening enormously and since then, being like a shadow of his former splendour.

My approach to this rich amalgam of achievements and fratricidal confrontations was relatively easy. To my will for developing a historical period in which I have always been attracted, adds a great variety of publications which deal with that period. Above all those works stand out those from Danish author, Mogens Herman Hansen, who is the greatest expert in Greek poleis for me. From his essays in English, I extracted the necessary information and knowledge for considering the course of the city-states and which aspects should define "Polis" without just being based on other games which cover that period.

During two months I combined first outlines about the mechanics of the game with researching about the historical period. From then on, the most complicated was still remaining: to face a blank sheet of paper which supposes to design the game itself.

With "Polis" I started by the end, that is, how I wanted the game to work and submitting all the design to a pair of preset premises.

The game would give players more freedom than usual, being them and not the rules who decide how long they play (amount of turns and therefore, the game´s length) and secondly, it should make winner the player who grows in the game reasonably and not who grows more in a simple manner, damaging both impetuous decisions and lack of ambition.

Delimiting the game from the beginning, adopting gradually certain constraints, forces the development of the game to take a sharp line, that is, any idea, any mechanic which does not fit with premises that you establish is rejected. I think that restrictions, self-imposed in this case, use to clear up and define game design. If I have not designed in that manner, I’m afraid that the game would have lost its identity and it would have become blurred during the process.

By the moment, I had a game enshrined in a period and time, which I knew how it should be in its final stage, with freedom but also a game which made players feel a great deal of responsability because the game would award the player reasonable in his actions, and not only the player who is able to be the most powerful.

For achieving that feeling of "reasonable development", I was defining two ways which became the two main parts of a "Polis" game.

Decision: Variety of actions and choice.

Evaluation: Final assessment of your responsability as player, that is, capacity to keep your empire.

Decision

The designers, sometimes unconsciously, capture his philias or phobias of the world of boardgames in his creations, trying that everything they do, approaches in part to their ideal game. In my case, I don´t feel attracted to games in which actions are "mechanized" and limit your decision-making to two or three choices in your turn (like: to play a card, to draw a card or to draw a card from a discard pile). Of course there are excellent games on such limited actions, but a typical scenario from "Polis" was going to take two or three hours (another clearly-defined premise), and so many minutes having a very limited range of actions could be boring.

When I had outlined units and the intervening resources in the game, I specified in 12 the available actions for a player. Each one of them make progress in any aspect of "Polis": Economic, Military, Cultural... and the player will have many options to develop his strategy. These actions are stripped of "divine and mythological" aspects which can be in other games about Classical Greece and these actions are grouped together in three "quartets": creation, military and political actions.

Evaluation

Achieving the premises of player´s evaluation and game´s length, the typical "Polis" scenario ended up having four rounds, each one with an undetermined amount of actions per player, but with a phase that is a break between those rounds in which the started Projects finish and players who have been more efficient with his resources and population, and more sensible with his expansion, will begin next round in a better position to take advantage. To that end, it is necessary that players are able to feed their empires and whoever gets it, will see how his population and prestige increase. Otherwise, if the player has been too ambitious, he would surely see how his prestige decreases and his action capacity is limited in the next round.

As you will see the game elements are consequence of period´s reality: Armies of hoplites, warships, merchants, ambassadors, prestige over your Poleis League, projects... All of these elements are included in a "back and forth" mechanism which forms the core of the game.

Both players have a common board representing the Classical Greece and other important information. Out of it, the individual components of each player are placed. As I have mentioned, these two elements form a "back and forth" way: All that you have out of the board is necessary to improve inside it, and it is there where you have to be the more efficient with the least possible, because nothing you order inside the board will give you victory in "Polis".

That is, although most of the time, players will be concentrated on their situation in the board, the most important is to be efficient investing the least you have out of the board: your population, your resources, and your prestige.

Another aspect, that I wanted to represent in "Polis", is a certain evolution in the capacity of players. The game grows in possibilities following a simple manner. Each one of the four rounds of the main scenario is determined by a number: 3, 4, 5 and 5 respectively. That number corresponds with soldiers and ships that each player could have in a territory and new loads (in that amount) which become available. To that evolution, "Polis" adds a light addition: Events are progressively more determining in the later rounds, in which the players are more powerful and more able to adapt to.

The game continued changing and simplifying after each test. As usual, who designs a game begins with the ambition of representing faithfully all he keeps in his mind and gradually he has to dismiss elements and to keep only with the elements that if removed, the game would lose quality. To that end, it was essential the first phase of information that I mentioned before, because it is a great help to be clear in the ranking of elements of play and which things you can manage without. Finally, I implemented chrome: Not all the poleis could undertake the project that they wished, the projects would be more realistic and unique instead of generic ones (with cards representing real Philosophers, for example), and I added Events, which cause that any "Polis" game has a small unexpected and uncontrolled element ensuring variety, game after game.

As designer of the game, I should be the first in criticizing it and assuming that there is always a chance of improvement, therefore, while the game was print&play I continued polishing up and improving aspects that players pointed me out as problematic. Working in that improvement, I considered that some points of the rules were not correctly defined; the siege was not well carried out and almost useless; the combat system was "cold", confusing and sometimes uncontrollable; I could add more richness, more variety and more replayability with more real events; and given that framework I could design more scenarios for the players who have familiarized with rules and main scenario, so they could play shorter and different games. All of that and more are implemented in the definitive "Polis" and I hope you’ll enjoy it.

Fran Díaz (Polis: Fight for the Hegemony Designer).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sentarte frente una persona para disfrutar de una partida a un juego de mesa de cierta complejidad creo que es la mejor experiencia de ocio que existe. Si conoces bien al oponente suele crearse una competitividad muy especial en cada partida y si en cambio apenas sabes ni quién es, una partida mano a mano hace que conozcas mucho acerca de cómo es en tan sólo un par de horas y mientras te lo pasas bien.

Dejando aparte los wargames, los juegos que son diseñados exclusivamente para dos jugadores suelen ser de tipo abstracto, bastante ligeros en su planteamiento (muchos de ellos con sufijo "pocket") o lo que si me permitís llamaré de "confrontación directa" normalmente mediante una baraja e incluyendo a veces un pequeño tablero. A finales de 2009 me planteé como reto la creación de un juego temático de gestión para dos jugadores a la manera que lo consigue el que para mí es el paradigma en ese ámbito, el magnífico "Twilight Struggle".

Si os dijera que barajé diferentes temáticas y épocas históricas hasta encontrar la que más encajaba con mis primeras ideas no estaría siendo sincero con vosotros, ya que desde el principio y con una convicción enorme en mi elección quise desarrollar el juego basándolo en un periodo que normalmente es tratado en los juegos de mesa abarcando principalmente su aspecto militar: la Grecia clásica del siglo V a.C.

Es una época fascinante. Es difícil pensar en un periodo de la antigüedad en el que se aprecien tan claramente lo mejor y lo peor del ser humano. Al inicio del siglo, los griegos fueron capaces de olvidar sus diferencias y unirse para enfrentarse a la amenaza persa y evitar así su desaparición como pueblo con entidad propia. En mi opinión, esa victoria define el mundo occidental en el que vivimos tanto como el desarrollo de la civilización Romana.

Tras ese hito de supervivencia ante un vecino con un poder militar terrestre muy superior en número, es cuando cronológicamente "Polis" comienza. Las dos ciudades más poderosas: Atenas y Esparta, cada una representada por un jugador, enseguida comenzaron a mostrar sus desavenencias y sus rencillas, distanciándose por dos modos diferentes de entender la vida. En este periodo se da un extraordinario desarrollo que todos conocemos de la cultura, el pensamiento, las artes... con epicentro en la Atenas de Pericles a la vez que se producen sangrientos enfrentamientos entre ambos contendientes, como la llamada Guerra del Peloponeso.

Esa confrontación final termina de hecho con la Grecia clásica ya que aunque el vencedor nominal de la misma fuera Esparta, en la realidad ambos terminaron perdiendo al debilitarse enormemente y ya nunca volverían a ser más que una sombra de lo que habían sido.

Mi acercamiento a esta rica amalgama de logros y enfrentamientos fratricidas fue relativamente fácil. A mi voluntad por desarrollar un momento histórico que siempre me ha atraído se une la gran variedad de publicaciones que tratan sobre esa época. Sobre todos esos escritos destacan los del danés Mogens Herman Hansen, quien para mí es el mayor experto de la polis griega. De sus ensayos en inglés extraje los datos y los conocimientos necesarios para valorar el funcionamiento de las ciudades-estado griegas y qué aspectos debían definir "Polis" sin basarme simplemente en otros juegos que tratan esa época.

Durante un par de meses compaginé los primeros esbozos de cómo quería que fuera el juego con la documentación sobre el periodo histórico. A partir de entonces quedaba lo más complicado, enfrentarse a la hoja en blanco que supone iniciar el diseño del juego en sí.

Con "Polis" comencé por el final, es decir, definiendo cómo quería que funcionara y sometiendo todo el diseño a un par de premisas fijadas.

El juego dotaría a los jugadores de una libertad mayor de la habitual, siendo ellos y no las reglas los que deciden hasta cuándo juegan (la cantidad de turnos y por tanto la duración de la partida) y en segundo lugar debería propiciar que el ganador fuera quien creciera razonablemente y no simplemente el que más lo hiciera, perjudicando las decisiones alocadas a la vez que la falta de ambición.

Acotar desde el principio el juego adoptando ciertos condicionantes paulatinamente, hace que el desarrollo del juego lleve una línea definida, es decir, cualquier idea, cualquier mecánica que no encaje con las premisas que estableces es desechada. Creo que las restricciones, en este caso autoimpuestas, suelen aclarar y definir el diseño de un juego, de no haberlo hecho así temía que perdiese identidad y se desdibujase por el camino.

Por ahora tenía un juego enmarcado en una época y lugar, que sabía cómo quería ser en su estado final, con libertad pero que hiciera sentir a los jugadores una carga de responsabilidad ya que iba a premiar al jugador razonable en sus acciones y no sólo al que fuera capaz de ser el más poderoso.

Para lograr esa sensación de "desarrollo responsable" fui definiendo dos vías que se convirtieron en las dos partes de una partida a "Polis":

Decisión: Variedad de acciones y de elección.

Evaluación: Valoración final de tu responsabilidad como jugador, es decir, capacidad de mantenimiento de tu imperio.

Decisión

Los diseñadores, a veces inconscientemente, plasman sus filias y sus fobias del mundo de los juegos de mesa en sus creaciones, intentando que lo que hagan se acerque en parte a su juego ideal. En mi caso no me atraen los juegos en el que tus acciones están mecanizadas y que limitan tu capacidad de decisión a dos o tres opciones en tu turno (como podría ser: jugar carta, robar carta o coger de la pila de descartes). Por supuesto que existen juegos fantásticos con tan limitadas acciones, pero "Polis" iba a durar en su escenario tipo entre dos y tres horas (otra premisa definida) y tantos minutos teniendo un rango de acciones posibles muy limitado resultaría aburrido.

Teniendo esbozadas las unidades y los recursos partícipes en el juego, concreté en 12 las acciones posibles para un jugador. Cada una de ellas le hace avanzar en alguno de los aspectos de "Polis": el económico, el militar, el cultural... y hace que el jugador se encuentre con múltiples opciones de desarrollar su estrategia. Estas acciones se encuentran despojadas de aspectos "divino-mitológicos" que pueden encontrarse en otros juegos sobre la Grecia clásica y se agrupan en tres cuartetos: el de creación, el militar y el político.

Evaluación

Cumpliendo las premisas de la evaluación del jugador y de la duración del juego, el escenario tipo de "Polis" terminó teniendo cuatro rondas, cada una con una indeterminada cantidad de acciones por cada jugador, pero con una fase que sirve de intermedio entre dichas rondas en las que se finalizan los proyectos iniciados y en la que los jugadores que hayan sido más eficientes con sus recursos y con su población, y más sensatos con su expansión comenzarán la siguiente ronda con una mejor disposición de tomar la delantera. Para ello es necesario que los jugadores sean capaces de alimentar su imperio y los que lo consigan verán como su población y su prestigio crece. En caso contrario, si el jugador ha sido muy ambicioso seguramente vea como su prestigio disminuye y su capacidad de acción se ve limitada para la siguiente ronda.

Como veréis los elementos del juego son consecuencia de la realidad de la época: ejércitos de hoplitas, barcos de guerra, mercaderes, diplomáticos, prestigio sobre tu liga de polis, proyectos... todo ello encuadrado en un mecanismo de ida y vuelta que forma el núcleo del juego.

Ambos jugadores tienen un tablero común representando la Grecia clásica y otros datos relevantes. Fuera de él, se sitúan los componentes individuales de cada jugador. Como he comentado, estos dos elementos forman un camino de ida y vuelta: todo lo que tengas fuera del tablero es necesario para mejorar dentro de él, y es ahí donde se debe ser lo más eficiente con lo menos posible, ya que nada de lo que se disponga en él da la victoria en "Polis".

Es decir, aunque la mayoría del tiempo, los jugadores estarán concentrados en su situación del tablero, lo más importante es ser eficiente invirtiendo lo mínimo de lo que posees fuera en él: tu población, tus recursos y tu prestigio.

Otro aspecto que quise representar en "Polis" es cierta evolución en las capacidades de los jugadores. El juego crece en posibilidades y complejidad a lo largo de la partida de un modo muy sencillo. Cada una de las cuatro rondas del escenario principal viene determinada por un número: 3, 4, 5 y 5 respectivamente, dicha cifra corresponde a los soldados y barcos que cada jugador puede tener en un territorio y los nuevos cargamentos (los que son por esa cantidad) que pasan a estar disponibles. A esta evolución se suma un ligero añadido, y es que los eventos son progresivamente más determinantes en las rondas posteriores, en las cuales los jugadores son más poderosos y más capaces de adaptarse.

El juego siguió variando y simplificándose con cada prueba. Como siempre, el que crea un juego comienza con la ambición de representar fielmente todo lo que tiene en la cabeza y poco a poco tiene que ir descartando elementos y quedarse únicamente con lo que si se quitara del juego éste perdería calidad. Para ello fue fundamental la primera fase de documentación que comenté, ya que sirve de gran ayuda tener claro la jerarquía de los elementos del juego y de qué puedes prescindir. Finalmente implementé croma: no todas las polis podían acometer el proyecto que desearan siendo éstos más realistas y únicos en lugar de genéricos (con cartas que se toman como puede ser un filósofo real y concreto), y se incorporaron eventos, que hacen que cada partida a "Polis" tenga un pequeño elemento inesperado e incontrolado que dota de variedad partida tras partida.

Como diseñador del juego debo ser el primero en criticarlo y asumir que siempre hay posibilidad de mejora, por tanto, mientras el juego fue print&play seguí constantemente puliendo y mejorando aspectos que los jugadores me señalaban como conflictivos. Trabajando en esa mejora consideré que algunos puntos de las reglas no quedaban definidos correctamente; el asedio no se ejecutaba de la manera más adecuada, era poco útil y poco utilizado; el método para el combate era frío, confuso y algo incontrolable; podía añadirse más riqueza, más variedad y rejugabilidad con más eventos reales; y dado que el armazón funcionaba se podían crear más escenarios para que cuando los jugadores se hubieran hecho con las reglas y al escenario principal pudieran jugar escenarios más cortos y diferentes. Todo esto y más se ha implementado en el definitivo Polis que saldrá publicado y que espero que disfrutéis.

Fran Díaz (Diseñador de Polis: Fight for the Hegemony)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Walker
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
let's keep the Geek a happy place!!
mbmbmb
Played this with a friend today. He's hooked! Fran, just an elegant, amazing game you've created!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.