Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year I tapped into the geek for its incredibly detailed music knowledge to get some views on what bands I should see at Glastonbury festival. Well I'm off to it again tomorrow, so I'm after some tips again.
Please select the bands in the poll you think I should go and see and please write some comments on your favourites.

The festival is huge (its been calculated it would take 83 days of solid gig-watching to see everything that is on the stages alone) so this is just the selected big stages.

Poll
1. Pyramid Stage - Friday
U2
Morrissey
Biffy Clyro
B.B. King
Wu-Tang Clan
Two Door Cinema Club
Metronomy
The Master Musicians of Joujouka
2. Pyramid Stage - Saturday
Coldplay
Elbow
Paolo Nutini
Tinie Tempah
Rumer
The Gaslight Anthem
Tame Impala
Stornoway
3. Pyramid Stage - Sunday
Beyoncé
Pendulum
Plan B
Paul Simon
Laura Marling
Don McLean
The Low Anthem
Fisherman's Friends
4. Other Stage - Friday
Primal Scream
Mumford & Sons
Fleet Foxes
Bright Eyes
The Wombats
The Vaccines
The Naked & Famous
Brother
Chipmunk
5. Other Stage - Saturday
The Chemical Brothers
White Lies
Friendly Fires
Jimmy Eat World
The Kills
Jessie J
Twilight Singers
Treetop Flyers
 Alice Gold
6. Other Stage - Sunday
Queens of the Stone Age
Kaiser Chiefs
Eels
TV on the Radio
Bombay Bicycle Club
Noisettes
Cold War Kids
Clare Maguire
Dan Mangan
7. West Holts (selected artists)
Cee Lo Green
Chase and Status
Dr Jimmy Cliff
Heliocentrics with Mulatu
Big Boi
Janelle Monáe
Aloe Blacc
Fool's Gold
Kool & The Gang (yes, really!)
Hercules and Love Affair
The Go! Team
Duane Eddy
8. John Peel Stage (full list)
DJ Shadow
Example
The Coral
I Am Kloot
Darwin Deez
Cage the Elephant
Miles Kane
Mona
Stonefield
Cocoon
Glasvegas
Battles
Noah and the Whale
The Horrors
Warpaint
Anna Calvi
Dry the River
Yuck
Fight Like Apes (how can I not see these?!)
Brave Yesterday
The Streets
Robyn
Hurts
The Vaccines
Everything Everything
OK Go
The Joy Formidable
Foster the People
Raghu Dixit
My Tiger My Timing
9. The Park (full list)
Crystal Castles
Caribou
Big Audio Dynamite
Warpaint
Jenny & Johnny
Caitlin Rose
Dylan Le Blanc
Group Love
Narasirato
Wild Beasts
James Blake
Tame Impala
The Walkmen
Graham Coxon
Those Dancing Days
About Group
Balearic Folk Orchestra
Ellen & The Escapades
Gruff Rhys
Lykke Li
John Grant
The Bees
James Vincent McMorrow
Jonny
Sea of Bees
The Pierces
Troy Ellis & Hail Jamaica
10. Acoustic (full list)
Brit Floyd
Raul Malo from The Mavericks
Eric Bibb
Hothouse Flowers
Newton Faulkner
The Otway Band
Sean Rowe
Gabrielle Aplin
Rainy Boy Sleep
The Secret Sisters
Deacon Blue
Nick Lowe
Pentangle
Thea Gilmore sings Dylan's John Wesley Harding
The Webb Sisters
Emily and The Woods
Isobel Anderson
Kassidy
Simon Lynge
Benjamin Francis Leftwich
Suzanne Vega
Imelda May
John Cooper Clarke
Wine Women & Song featuring Matraca Berg, Suzy Bogguss, Gretchen Peters
London Community Gospel Choir
The Magnets
Iona Marshall
Caitlin Rose
Ellyn Maybe & Her Band
My First Tooth
      32 answers
Poll created by 1000rpm

Poll
More.... Avalon Stage
3 Daft Monkeys,
Admiral Fallow,
Barenaked Ladies,
C.W. Stoneking,
Chumbawamba,
City and Colour,
Danny & The Champions of the World,
DeVotchKa,
Flipron,
Flogging Molly,
Guillemots acoustic set,
Hobo Jones & The Junkyard Dogs,
Katzenjammer,
Kitty,
Daisy & Lewis,
KT Tunstall,
Lau,
Louise & The Pins,
Mama Rosin,
Newton Faulkner,
Ron Sexsmith,
Shooglenifty,
Show of Hands,
The Beat,
The Low Anthem,
The Popes,
The Wombles
      23 answers
Poll created by 1000rpm

and if you want to you can see the full line up here:
http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up-poster/#daybyd...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja My essential do-not-miss list--U2 (not a big fan anymore, but they always put on a great show), Wu-Tang, Paul Simon, Master Musicians of Joujouka (a fairly rare opportunity you should take advantage of), The Chemical Brothers, QotSA ('cause they rock) Duane Eddy (probably not too many opportunities remaining to see ol' Duane). ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cabalzero wrote:
ninja My essential do-not-miss list--U2 (not a big fan anymore, but they always put on a great show), Wu-Tang, Paul Simon, Master Musicians of Joujouka (a fairly rare opportunity you should take advantage of), The Chemical Brothers, QotSA ('cause they rock) Duane Eddy (probably not too many opportunities remaining to see ol' Duane). ninja

Thanks.
Yes, I've never seen U2 and not a huge fan, but as this isn't an occasion when they are specifically playing to U2 fans I'm hoping it is going to be a monster greatest hits session. So I'll probably be going to see them.
I've never heard of the Master Musicians, so I'll give them a try on your recommendation.
I've seen Chemical Brothers quite a few times, but they are always good value. QotSA are on my list to see. Got a couple of their albums.
Duane Eddy should be good fun - I've seen a few old stars there and they are always backed up by a great backing band/singers, so all the old hits come out sounding brilliant.
Wu-Tang - hmmm, I'm not a big fan of this kind of stuff but they seem pretty crazy so it could be an experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
This poll makes me feel old.

I don't know most of these
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knock knock open up the door it's Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw DeVotchKa perform tonight at a small venue here in Nijmegen, and they were wonderful! They played a great set, switching between beautiful gypsy-fairytale-like folk songs and solid upbeat rock. Worth checking out, although I'm not sure how well they fit in a big festival setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliconia wrote:
This poll makes me feel old.

I don't know most of these

Why do you think I'm asking! I don't know loads of them either!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. I'm off now. Will report back on my return.
Glad to see 3 votes for John Cooper Clarke. Saw him a few weeks ago. Mental!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cosmic Charlie
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh...I could have seen U2 last night, but did not. I probably should have gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay I'm back. Actually I got back late on Monday, but was a burned-out shell of a man. The festival was great, but exhausting - more exhausting than usual, and as a Glasto veteran I speak from experience.
The main problem was the heavy rain for a about a week before. It meant that there was thick, thick mud practically everywhere right from the start. This had stopped on the Thursday so I got to put my tent up okay. And then there was (light) rain for most of the Friday.
For non-festival goers it is a bit hard to describe the effect of this. At a festival you spend 90% of your time standing up, dancing or walking around, so you need a bit of sitting time. Especially when that walking is through thick mud. And there weren't many places to sit. You certainly couldn't sit on the ground. You could buy a camping chair but then you'd have to carry the thing around. And Glastonbury is huge. Walking from one end of the entertainment site to the other takes nearly an hour.
Anyway enough moaning. It was pretty clear on Saturday and then very sunny on Sunday. I left on Monday morning after 3.5 solid days of entertainment.

What I saw (Friday):

The Master Musicians of Joujouka interesting Morrocan stuff, went on the recommendation of this thread, not really my thing, but two of my mates liked it a lot
Metronomy
Dengue Fever
The Vaccines
The Wombats
BB King (if you like the Blues)
I am Kloot Great but too mellow for me
Engine Earz
Radiohead played a 'secret' gig, but there were too many people there, the sound was too low and they just played stuff off very recent (and not great) albums
Mumford And Sons I really enjoyed it, but halfway through had to go and sit down with a beer
U2 Very polished gig that the rain couldn't spoil

Saturday

Yuck
The Gaslight Anthem
Nicolas Jaar live
The Brandt Bauer Frick Ensemble
Mark Thomas (political comedian talking about a walk through Israel)
Fool's Gold
Friendly Fires
White Lies
Orbital

Orbital gig was in 'Arcadia' part of a huge crazy futuristic landscape in one corner of the festival. We saw an extreme art show with acrobats, trucks, a giant metal spider construction, fire, lightening and fireworks. This transitioned into the Orbital gig. Truly astonishing. Got to bed at 4am.

Sunday

Don McLean An extended American Pie in the sun being a 5 star element
The Joy Formidable
OK Go
Paul Simon I was right near the front, could have been a bit livelier
The Vaccines (again)
John Grant
Eels
Kaiser Chiefs
Gruff Rhys
Master Musicians of Joujouka (again) (playing just on a hill to anyone who would listen
Queens of the Stone Age had to leave before the end and go and crash
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I would have liked to have seen but didn't:

KT Tunstall
Susanne Vega (in fact I didn't make it to the Acoustic stage for the whole festival)
Duane Eddy
Stornaway (was on at 11am on the Saturday and I had didn't feel like moving very quickly, so couldn't drag my sorry self over there)
Primal Scream (seen them before)
Wu-Tang Clan (would have been fun)
Caitlin Rose (was on twice and I didn't make either)
Biffy Clyro (was apparently very good)
The Coral
Crystal Castles
Elbow
Coldplay (seen them before and they apparently played a great sing-a-long set)
The Chemical Brothers (seen them a couple of times, always good value)
Graham Coxon
Elbow
Danny and the Champions of the World (rated highly by a couple of friends who saw them)
DeVotchKa
Nick Lowe (actually did go to see him, but he had finished after 20 mins as he was playing on another stage not long after, so I missed him twice)
TV on the Radio
Kool & The Gang
Pendulum (apparently played a 'rocking' set)
Everything Everything
The Go! Team

Wow. I could probably go to the same festival again in a time machine and still not manage to see everything I wanted to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Food

Food is very important to me. I have to have 3 meals a day and at festivals I tend to have 4. Partly this is because I'm burning a lot more energy, partly that the portions aren't huge and partly it is because I'm greedy and that the food is really good at Glasto.

My favourite meals at the festival:

Thai red curry chicken
(West indian) Goat curry
Goan (indian, with coconut) fish curry
Jerk chicken
Square steak & mushroom pie with chips, mushy peas and gravy
Brown breakfast baguette with bacon, mushroom, fried egg and 2 x morroccan lamb sausages (with brown sauce).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:

The vocals seemed to be a bit indistinct on the telly. Was that just a result of the TV equipment or were the levels a bit off in real life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
What, no Moz?!?
I am offended!
Apparently he wasn't great, this dude from the Guardian gave it 3 out of 5 stars:

Guardian wrote:
"I'll try to sing as fast as I can as I know you're here to see U2," announced Morrissey halfway through his set. Sure the promise of hearing a secret Radiohead gig on the Park stage has sucked half his audience up a muddy hill, leaving the Pyramid stage crowd thinly populated, but such sourness doesn't sit well at Glastonbury. Morrissey puts on a rum old show, a mix of Smiths songs, solo hits and dodgy new material. ("Can you bear to hear a new song?" he glowers. "Can you bear to hear an old one?")

His band, all in matching mushroom-coloured polo shirts, are given a good account of recent Moz hits such as First of the Gang to Die, but are seriously out of their depth doing the Smiths' finest moments. Shoplifters of the World Unite lacks the swaggering menace of the original record, while There Is a Light That Never Goes Out is taken at such a ponderous tempo that had the 10-tonne-truck been travelling at an equivalent speed, the song's protagonists would have emerged from the collision with hardly a scratch. Meat Is Murder is a less crowd-pleasing choice, Morrissey's attempts to mimic the chainsaw sound effects on the record sounding like a malfunctioning coffee machine.

It's not all bad – a cover of Satellite of Love is a moving hat-tip to Moz's glam forebears, or (this is perhaps less likely) it's an oblique tribute to U2, who used to cover it on the Zooropa tour. The closing song, This Charming Man, has a vigour absent from most of the rest of the set – or perhaps Moz was looking forward to a hot bath and getting his wellies out of the quagmire and back to the place he fondly refers to as "Manc-fester".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
1000rpm wrote:

The vocals seemed to be a bit indistinct on the telly. Was that just a result of the TV equipment or were the levels a bit off in real life.

I think the sound in front of stage is a lot different than on the TV. I could hear every word he said. So I'm guessing the TV equipment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
andyl wrote:
1000rpm wrote:

I think the sound in front of stage is a lot different than on the TV. I could hear every word he said. So I'm guessing the TV equipment.

Fair enough - it isn't always a given. I've been at festivals where the sound engineer messed up the levels and couldn't quite get them right for nearly a band's entire session.

In this case the vocals were audible but they just seemed a bit muddy whereas songs by some other bands and singers seemed fine. Glad to hear it was OK front of house. Actually quite a few people complained of the BBC mix - some said Coldplay sounded awful on the telly.

I heard some of the stuff on radio and that seemed to be a little sharper at the top end, and the vocals a bit more to the fore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And for this year...
Glastonbury Music Festival 2013 - I'm going, who should I see?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.