United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

Will probably be playing this for the first time this weekend with 3 other people who, like me, have never played it before. I think i have the rules down, but im wondering if the game length will be out of hand.

Along that line of thinking, im wondering if it would adversely affect the game if i dropped the victory goal to 7 or so VP's instead of 10. I'm wondering how much time that might shave off, and if there would be any downside to doing so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can expect the game to be pretty long at first. The game is actually over pretty fast once you know it, but the first game or two might out stay its welcome

You could try lower the the VP needed, but alternatively you could play at normal and set a timer to ring after the amount of time you think is reasonable. Then just stop the turn it rings (after everyone has had there last turn). This also allows you to agree on disregarding the clock before it rings, if you all are having fun.

Be sure to download the FAQ

Have fun! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the first 4-player game I completed took about 4 hours including the rules explanation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks guys. i havent checked out the faq yet, but i'll be sure to do that before gameday.

4 hours INCLUDING rules would probably be an acceptable timeframe. I'm guessing that the rules will take me about 45 min or so to get thru, so a 3 hour game after that wouldnt be too bad.

My concerns were that it might go considerably longer than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob weattababy
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our second and third games were still 3+ hours. surprise It gets better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
The game does take time to play... but even on our first try we got it done in 2.5 hours. When explaining the rules re-remind players how they score VPs.

Further, during the game remind player that there are only 6 ways to win VPs and perhaps point out that just 'doing things' means you're likely going to lose and the game is going to take ages.

Treating the game are an RPG is rewarding but will mean that boy does it go on for a while. Yes people should make up a back story for their captain but they should do this during downtime. Likewise if a player is traversing the whole board to complete a single mission reminding them how to score VPs is worth doing.

Finally, make sure you explain the rules thoroughly, players need to understand their options to enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
The game does take time to play... but even on our first try we got it done in 2.5 hours. When explaining the rules re-remind players how they score VPs.

Further, during the game remind player that there are only 6 ways to win VPs and perhaps point out that just 'doing things' means you're likely going to lose and the game is going to take ages.

Treating the game are an RPG is rewarding but will mean that boy does it go on for a while. Yes people should make up a back story for their captain but they should do this during downtime. Likewise if a player is traversing the whole board to complete a single mission reminding them how to score VPs is worth doing.

Finally, make sure you explain the rules thoroughly, players need to understand their options to enjoy the game.

some good point, monkey. thanks. I agree, now that ive read the rules, that you really need to focus on doing WHAT GETS YOU VPS, and not get bogged down with some other activities which, while fun, might not be very condusive for winning the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first took 3 hours including setup and rules instructions. We have gotten it down to 2 now but expect the first game or two to be long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
3 hours WITH rules and setup wouldnt be bad at all. I was really fearing that with rules, the game could go 5 hours plus....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
slyde wrote:
3 hours WITH rules and setup wouldnt be bad at all. I was really fearing that with rules, the game could go 5 hours plus....

3 hours for a four player game including rule explanation does sound a bit optimistic to be honest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Initial 2P game was 3 hours but we take the time to make sure we know what we are doing as best we can
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:
slyde wrote:

3 hours for a four player game including rule explanation does sound a bit optimistic to be honest.
Yeah, my first 4-player game took AT LEAST 4 hours with the rules explanation at the beginning. Tbh, it was probably 4.5-5 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks guys. I guess i'll have to talk it over with the group on whether or not we might need to put some kind of cap on play. In the end, it will probably depend on what time it finally gets to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ni Th
Germany
Markgröningen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mb
Initial game with 4 players today, I was not THAT well prepared for explaining all the rules and it took us about 5 hours including time for explaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Bull
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With breaks, our first four player game took around five hours. It could have gone on for a bit longer but I chose to end the game with a convenient stash in any port Glory Card, before the over excited merchant came into full swing with his newly acquired Galleon. He was getting really excited and in a way I was upset that I had to put an end to his enjoyment of the game.

With any game, I plan on always having a tea/supper-break whenever anyone feels like a game is dragging on so players can discuss issues they don't want to mention, in fear of dragging a game to a standstill, and discuss future variants to add to the game play. We decided on our next game we would play with the Cutthroat Variant, to encourage more attacks.

We also dressed up as much as we could for the first game and had an actual spyglass for decoration. I wanted people to pick it up and use it whenever they made a scouting action. I installed Sid Miers Pirates! and used the menu screen music for stormy seas ambience, I would have made my own soundboard if I had a nice tablet app for it (oh and a tablet).

The first game didn't deter us from having another game the next day. I think too many just played their own game of trading on the high seas for the first game. Someone adorned the table with a Spanish hand painted bottle of Sangria for the next night of play. We plan on playing that one over two days having started at 7pm and ending after 9pm. Peoples focus on the second game was to be more play more pirate-like, while the pirates swapped tact to trading with the Flute to make $$$ with less risk to their ship to upgrade to a better pirate ship later. One players comment was that we're British, we just don't have it in us to attack each other. I believe that he just doesn't want to upset his Mrs, as he passed over attacking her despite her plea, 'attack, I don't mind.'

This game I was lucky enough to draw the pirate Christian, who has the highest seamanship of any other pirate. I hope to have some fun with this and kill the weaker player at the earliest opportunity. Still that will have to be when we resume our game tomorrow. I should only last about another two hours, but we'll see how it goes.

Can anyone recommend any quick games that would instil the lust for PVP into players prior to playing M&M? This game 'needs' players with the desire to exploit each other over the slightest sign of weaknesses. At the moment it seems we're just too British.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Holmbom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first 4-player game was over in less than 2 hours, BUT I did know the rules and the other 3 was experienced boardgamers.

In fact we managed two quick games in just over 3 hours. Although we had very little pvp in both sessions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the dare978devil
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played twice, both 3-player games. Both games lasted in excess of 4.5 hours. The first finished with the leader only having 4 Glory Points when we called it a night, we completed the second. We could have gone on much longer for the second game, but the person leading with 6 points just sailed to his home port and dropped in 40 gold. Game over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.