Aaron Trammell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
BOOM!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to see how people felt about the end game support draw. Has this skewed the outcome of any games to support the "worse" player? Do you know of any other games with a similar "raffle" mechanic? I, personally, love the tension the draw brings to the closing round of the game, but was wondering what others thought of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy it quite a bit. My partner seems to do a better job in hand management when playing aside these campaign strategy cards. It's a bit light on impact often, but can be used more effectively than I have. It gives more reason to consider hand management, bag equity (from rest or lack there of), and throws a little bit of luck in the mix. I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Travis
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it too. I think that it fits in with the theme of the game by portraying the random stuff that happens on election days and adds a level of strategy that makes you consider not playing a certain event because it can give you checks in a key state at the end of the game. I have played games where there was no impact from this at all and games where someone got a couple states, but I'm not sure that it has ever changed the outcome of the election.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also concure. I think this option actually allows for a slightly different strategy combination. I won't presume to think that it's not significant enough to be in the rules, because I have been surprised too many times in the past with other games where my opponent used unexpected strategy for victorious results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate it cause I cant seem to get the balance just right.. when I figure out the right strategy Ill love it.. but for now... :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Butler, PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it, but I doubt I would if it expanded to more states than what is now the case (four + maybe a few based on persistent events). That seems to be just enough.

One friend won't play this game because you win based on "one cube draw at the end of the game," and I know others have had similar complaints. I don't really get that, given:

1) choosing the states you get to check on means forgoing that card in the campaign.
2) All the rest cubes you've accumulated all game are roughly proportional to the strength of the actions you've played all game
3) The states in question have to be close enough to be flipped, which means they were probably fought over during the regular campaign.

The end-of-game draw, then, is a culmination of the decisions you've made all game, even if it ends up with a random (yet deliberately seeded) draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Trammell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
BOOM!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the rich feedback! Has anyone encountered other games with a similar end-game mechanic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
mbmbmbmbmb
Coase wrote:
I like it, but I doubt I would if it expanded to more states than what is now the case (four + maybe a few based on persistent events). That seems to be just enough.

One friend won't play this game because you win based on "one cube draw at the end of the game," and I know others have had similar complaints. I don't really get that, given:

1) choosing the states you get to check on means forgoing that card in the campaign.
2) All the rest cubes you've accumulated all game are roughly proportional to the strength of the actions you've played all game
3) The states in question have to be close enough to be flipped, which means they were probably fought over during the regular campaign.

The end-of-game draw, then, is a culmination of the decisions you've made all game, even if it ends up with a random (yet deliberately seeded) draw.

very well spoken sir!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
AngbandKing wrote:
Thank you all for the rich feedback! Has anyone encountered other games with a similar end-game mechanic?

Not exactly like it, but I have played several games that have games inside the games. Its not one game that runs everything, there are subgames that can bring you up in the main game. Twilight Struggle (space race and coups/mil ops), Founding Fathers (subcommittee votes), Washingtons War (battles vs political control). Even some block games (Julius Caesar) have winter attrition phases that help offset the main strategy and planning for winter.
I really like games that have a flexible strategy where its not just a direct confrontation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished reading the Washington's War book and CANNOT wait to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
One friend won't play this game because you win based on "one cube draw at the end of the game,

That's honestly a silly complaint. It's no different from winning a game by the final die roll or final card or whatnot. The closer ANY particular playing of a luck+skill combo game is, the more likely it can come down to one approximately 50/50 shot at the end. This is true no matter what style of game you play.

Backgammon often comes down to the final roll of a player trying to bear off his last two men.

Settlers of Catan often comes down to the final rolls that determine who gets the resources for their 10th VP first.

Cartagena often comes down whoever gets the right card to jump their final man into the boat.

Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage often comes down to the last card play of Diplomacy, [province Revolts, etc.

Dominion often comes down to whether someone draws enough gold in one hand at the very end.

Victory in the Pacific often comes down to the final attack roll to knock out the last LBA in the Japanese Islands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just won a game with by flipping Texas with two cards on election day, so I can't deny that it can be a lot of fun sometimes.

My only complaint about this part of the game is that it allows you to bury opponent's events so easily in the last two turns. That awesome event for your opponent turns into three support checks for you in Texas or California. It's a no-brainer in a game where so much of the enjoyment is weighing the risk/reward for each card. It also has the effect of diminishing the significance of momentum at a time when, thematically, it should be most important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Witzany
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time and again, I'm faced with either setting cards aside for the election support checks (or for the debate) or playing them that round. I'm more likely to save a good card for the election checks, but sometimes I care enough about how the debate turns out to set specific cards aside for it, as well. That aspect of the card play is definitely an excellent part of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.J.
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it... i was starting to fade during the rules, so I missed a lot of the end game stuff and just wanted to get to playing... So I hadnt even played cards in the end for the support checks, they were just the random cards I kept... What I did (which ended up contributing to some election day excitement for me, frustration for my opponent) was getting a lot of momentum chips near the end, and so I was able to add a lot of cubes to the bag.

I had one cube on California (but I had the endorsement, so he needed to get a cube on there)... the Kennedy Connecticut win = California 5 support checks card was out, and so here goes an exciting draw. First cube, blue, which takes my cube from California. All he needs is 1 more blue cube, and he locks California down... red... red... red... red... It was awesome!

I still would have won had he taken California (Hey Travis!), but I didn't know that at the time, so it was crazy intense!

Needless to say, I loved my first play of 1960, and I especially loved the support checks at the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marcnelsonjr wrote:

My only complaint about this part of the game is that it allows you to bury opponent's events so easily in the last two turns.

Yeah, the two Campaign Strategy cards chosen in each of the last two rounds differ from the Debate Card choice because there isn't the need to consider the candidate's icon. That is, if an opponents Card is buried in the Debate pile then it ends up helping the opponent in the Debates. But putting an opponents card in the Campaign strategy pile has no such adverse consequence.

I wonder if the Campaing Strategy Election Day support checks should only occur if the Card has the player's icon on it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.