Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » General

Subject: Learning from 1st Edition and Wells Exp: Need Advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I have the 1st edition edition of Journeys, the Well exp, and the Altar exp. As I understand it, I take some replacement cards in the Well exp to replace some Journeys cards. This should make Journeys as good as the 2nd edition, right? Also, the Well exp changed some rules from Journeys, right?

I need to learn Descent and teach it. What would veterans recommend? (I'm ignoring the Altar exp for now.) The only way I know is to read through Journeys and get it down, then go through the Well exp rules, which means I'll need to dismiss certain rules/aspects I learned in Journeys, right?

This seems a rather roundabout way to learn it, especially since I have to unlearn certain parts, so I thought I'd ask veterans if they have any other recommendations in how I can most effectively learn it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You do replace cards in Descent with Wells cards. I believe subsequent printings of the base game had the corrected cards.

I would recommend reading the rulebook and FAQ and also printing out Universal Head's player reference sheets (look in the Files section); they are invaluable!...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well of Darkness doesn't really change any of the base game rules (except by replacing some cards), it just adds to them (for example, there are obstacles and abilities that didn't exist in the base game).

However, the FAQ changes some of the base game rules, such as eliminating the option to immediately trade in a treasure draw for its full cash value, and limiting heroes to drinking one potion per turn. Depending on which printing of the rulebook you have, some of these may already be included.

There is no official document that contains the full "amended rules", though I believe there are several fan efforts in that direction included in the files section here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug File
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Titeman wrote:
I would recommend reading the rulebook and FAQ and also printing out Universal Head's player reference sheets (look in the Files section); they are invaluable!...

Definitely agree. The FAQ can be found here. There are also various other resources available on the Descent Support Page. Universal Head's excellent rules summary is available here, and you may also want to take at look at a superb fansite called Descent In The Dark.

Antistone wrote:
Well of Darkness doesn't really change any of the base game rules (except by replacing some cards), it just adds to them (for example, there are obstacles and abilities that didn't exist in the base game).

Indeed - I would be inclined to suggest you just teach the base game to start with, and move on to Well of Darkness once your players have had some experience as heroes.

Well of Darkness will be very easy to pick up once you know how to play the base game, but trying to learn the whole lot at once will just make things harder. Well of Darkness is also considerably harder for the heroes, so they will need the experience from the base game if they are to have any chance (and any fun) playing the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Reubzaet
Netherlands
Landgraaf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What really worked for me was to read all of the rules from all the expansions I own (all but the advanced campaign ones), then reading them again and making a summary, mainly in the shape of tables and bulleted/numbered lists. This not only helped me get a clearer overview of the game as a whole, but it also led to the creation of quick-reference sheets which can be used during the game to limit downtime for looking up any but the most detailed rules. I laminated these sheets and keep them in the box all the time.

If you would like me to, I would be happy to post them somewhere for you to fetch. Since I am not sure how to do so (I guess I am a bit of a noob after all, but hey, I am into boardgames, not IT stuff :-P), it may be best to send me a message with your e-mail address so I can mail them directly.

Reading the rules from the booklets is a MUST, but maybe the sheets help. Then again, maybe they do not.

I know for a fact that someone put a compiled rules booklet for Descent and all of its expansions somewhere on BGG, but I did not keep the link since I am happy with my own creation :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.