Subject: RSP Kindle Book Sharing Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a Kindle and for the most part I love it. I have a couple little annoyances with it but I won't go into that. The bottom line is that I intend to do most of my book reading on a Kindle now. One of the new Kindle features is that you can "loan" eligible books to other Kindle users (or Kindle App users).

The purpose of this thread is to facilitate RSP book sharing. If you have a book to loan you can post it here and then someone else can indicate their interest.

For example, right now I only have 1 loanable book: The Battle Over the Meaning of Everything: Evolution, Intelligent Design, and a School Board in Dover, PA. If you are interested in reading this book, let me know and I'll loan it to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
I just got a Kindle and for the most part I love it. I have a couple little annoyances with it but I won't go into that. The bottom line is that I intend to do most of my book reading on a Kindle now. One of the new Kindle features is that you can "loan" eligible books to other Kindle users (or Kindle App users).

The purpose of this thread is to facilitate RSP book sharing. If you have a book to loan you can post it here and then someone else can indicate their interest.

For example, right now I only have 1 loanable book: The Battle Over the Meaning of Everything: Evolution, Intelligent Design, and a School Board in Dover, PA. If you are interested in reading this book, let me know and I'll loan it to you.

Alas, I have no lendable books on my kindle at present. That sounds like an interesting read, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
If you are interested in reading this book, let me know and I'll loan it to you.

Just a possible clarification, to loan a book I don't think it needs to be on your kindle. You probably mean you don't own any loanable books. But if you do, and you've taken them off your kindle, you should still be able to loan them through amazon.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
If you are interested in reading this book, let me know and I'll loan it to you.

Just a possible clarification, to loan a book I don't think it needs to be on your kindle. You probably mean you don't own any loanable books. But if you do, and you've taken them off your kindle, you should still be able to loan them through amazon.com.

Alas, I have no lendable books on my kindle at present. That sounds like an interesting read, though.
[/q]

You interpreted correctly--I own no loanable books. It's actually been something of a disappointment, as my wife and I can't share books we've purchased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawson
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marshall,

Is there any easy way to check to see if one's books are lendable?

From the link you supplied, it looks like you have to go to each book's "product page" and check to see if it's "lending enabled" or some such. I went to the product page for a few of my books and didn't see anything relating to lending.

At that point I got lazy and stopped and decided to ask: Am I missing some easier way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawson
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! Chastened by my own slackitude, I looked a little harder.

Here's one lending-enabled book that I have (and am happy to lend): Bad Astronomy, by Philip Plait.

Edited to add: Oh, and Marshall, I might well ask to borrow your book at some point. Right now, my "to read" list is so lusciously full that it doesn't make sense. Looks like an interesting read, though.

I have a few books on my Kindle that I was disappointed to find that they were not lending-enabled: The Warmth of Other Suns, The Imperfectionists, The Emperor of All Maladies. All really awesome books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be happy to loan Lucifer's Hammer by Niven and Pournelle. Decent comet hitting the earth book.

Since this is RSP, I'll also offer The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Non-Believer by Christopher Hitchens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Why look for lendable books when there are so many other books that you can give away, without having to look for toxic publisher licenses?

Here, The Life of El Lazarillo of Tormes, translated to English. a short work that explains the Spanish nature.

Yes Dar, it covers lying, deceiving and stealing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that took 5 minutes I'll never get back. Seems that I have no loanable books.

You would think they could risk letting me loan out the New York Times from March 13, 2009. I guess they fear it will cut into sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Well, that took 5 minutes I'll never get back. Seems that I have no loanable books.

You would think they could risk letting me loan out the New York Times from March 13, 2009. I guess they fear it will cut into sales.

It should also be noted that I think you can only lend a given book out once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own a Kindle, but do have the kindle App for my 'droid.

I haven' bought a kindle title, but I understand there are around 30,000 free titles. What are the good freebies that are RSP suitable? Any good philosohpy or social commentries that are must reads?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
Greendan wrote:
I don't own a Kindle, but do have the kindle App for my 'droid.

I haven' bought a kindle title, but I understand there are around 30,000 free titles. What are the good freebies that are RSP suitable? Any good philosohpy or social commentries that are must reads?

the Iliad is free. I think it was bundled with the kindle app i downloaded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.