United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few gaming events/groups that I've been going to for years now. Some are small (5 to 10 pepole), others are large (20 to 30 people). These events cater to "variety gaming" (my own term, not theirs) where almost any game is fair game... it just has to a bit laid back (no heavy rules lawyers), low committment (no RPGs; if you want to play a 3+ hour game, try to let people know ahead of time; we welcome all skill levels so long as you have some decent level of learning), and not take too much time (we get kicked out of private and public venues when they close).

In the past, it was roughly equal strategy gamers/eurogamers & party/social gamers. Recently, we've had no party/social games played. Well, there were scant games of Balderdash, Apples To Apples, Quiddler, and Scattergories in all those years. That left me wondering if we inadvertently "muscled" out the party/social gamers. If they don't want to play eurogames, thne that's understandable, so they probably just stopped coming (although the usual "life excuses" of work, being busy, family, moving, etc., so it's not all that). The odd thing is how this is "hitting me" all the sudden. Surprised I didn't notice it sooner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if people who are into casual/party games, at least in your circles, are just not as dedicated or into the hobby as strategy gamers are. So they may skip a couple events, then eventually just stop coming at all.

I'm in a couple different gaming groups, and one is much more strategic than the others - that one seems to have more of the same people coming to events. The other one does have a core set of people, but a lot more people who come every now and then, or who are new.

The social gamers might use the game as a side function to the socializing, and so some of them have found other venues to socialize in; the "hardcore" gamers might see the socializing secondary to the gaming.

It is an interesting question. It would be interesting to try to do some sort of analysis, comparing preferred game weight or length or style of game, to number of events attended or length of time active in the group. (Of course there's all those other things, life, work, family, that can distract anyone.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has the group itself changed? Or are the group members changing?

Speaking from my own experience, I would play nearly any game (party games, euros, ameritrash, etc.) when I first started the hobby. However, I've noticed my tastes narrow and have mainly become a Eurogame fan.

Does your group have the same members, but nobody desires to play party games? Or have certain members stopped showing up because party games weren't played anymore?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arcane220 wrote:
Does your group have the same members, but nobody desires to play party games? Or have certain members stopped showing up because party games weren't played anymore?

Obviously, I'm more aware of who's been showing up regularily. As for the others... I know one guy was semi-interested in euros/strategy games, but predominantly does word/party/"intellectual" games (e.g. puzzles, trivia), so that's my guess as to why I don't see him anymore. Most of us do stick with euros, or "ameri-trashy"-like games, such as Comsmic Encounter or games like RoboRally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.