Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Well, the subject says it all. "Mr. Madison's War - That Incredible War of 1812" is now 'live' on the GMT P-500 page. If I can insert a link here I will try. If not perhaps someone that knows Board Game Geek better can do so.

Thank you,

Gilbert Collins

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-348-mr-madisons-war.aspx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have long awaited a CDG on this war. I hope all goes well and I'll look into a possible preorder.

In terms of complexity, if you had to situate this game between two other CDG, which would those be?

btw, superb avatar. That picture of John Burgoyne was my desktop background all through the summer of 2005.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks Sean.

I got the 'War of 1812' bug when I worked as a guide at the "Battle of Crysler's Farm" Battlefield Park way back in 1974. Since then I have played most of the War of 1812 titles that have come out. Although I liked some of them and disliked others, I to wanted a CDG game on this topic.

Being a fan of both "We the People" and "For the People" and with no '1812' title forthcoming I decided to tackle the project.

But, to answer your question about complexity I would put "Mr. Madison's War" right in between (Washington's War) WW and FTP. More complex than WW but far less so than FTP. While I think FTP the best American Civil War game out there I'm a tad concerned about it's length of time to play and complexity.

Presently an average game of Mr. Madison's War takes about 3.5 hours but players who clip along can finish a game in from 2 to 3 hours.

I should point out that the Naval War on the Great Lakes is an integrally important aspect of the game. Far more important than it was in the American Revolution or the French and Indian War. Events that take place 'off board' are handled as card events, such as the Burning of Washington and the Battle of New Orleans. I have a discussion board for the game on Consimworld. Gunpowder-Napoleonics Folders.

Hope this helps

PS: I'm a Burgoyne fan from way back

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Already passed 200 (almost double in one day)...I expect this one will not take long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Bay
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Chances of a mounted board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fralish
United States
Yorktown Heights
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baymonkey wrote:
Chances of a mounted board?

I would predict that this one will see over 1,000 preorders (CDG, fast playing, good topic), which would definitely put it in line for a mounted board if past history is a guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Boy, that would be a dream! A mounted map for 1812!

1,000 pre-orders, that would be a dream too. Although I'm optimistic, I must also be a realist. Mounted maps get reserved for pretty 'special games'.

Of course with the 200th Anniversary Bi-Centennial coming up, you never know.

Thanks for the support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hodkinson
Canada
Owen Sound
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
兵者,詭道也。
badge
mb
This is fantastic news.

I didn't even know this was in the works.

There, I'm on the P500.

Now I just have to find an opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Garlington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Looking at the map...does this not cover also the 1814 Mid-Atlantic theatre of the war?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
That part of the war that you are describing, was a 'side show' to the main conflict, which was the Canadian front. Nothing really happened there until the second year of the war and even then the attacks by the British were all geared to one end. Namely, to take pressure off of the Canadian front.
The British had no plans for permanent occupation of the eastern coast of the United States. Taking a look at the Order of Battle of what they sent there it would be absurd to make this conclusion.

However, I recognize fully the importance of events on that front later on in the war and I have card events to influence the war one way or the other. Mr. Madison's War includes strategy cards for the following events in that quarter.

: The Battle of Bladensburg
: The Burning of the federal buildings at Washington
: Admiral Cockburn's raids in Chesapeake Bay
: The "Rocket's Red Glare" at Baltimore MD

Plus more obscure events not known to many people such as the British occupation of Maine.

If you like the Mark Herman style of card games like "Washington's War" or "For the People", I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Garlington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you for the thoughtful reply Gilbert. It holds a very sentimental value to Americans in that our national anthem is from the bombardment of Ft. McHenry in Baltimore harbor. The burning of the White House was a pretty significant event in the American psyche for the next 60 years after the war as was the Battle of New Orleans.

Randy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks Randy. In fact I state specifically on the "Rockets Red Glare" card that 'the Americans had a victory and a new anthem'.

One of my favourite monuments about the War of 1812 is in Baltimore. The one about Francis Scott Key and the creation of the song. It's a beautiful looking monument with sailors in a row boat, full size and 3D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, you got me.
Love the theme. Looking forward to following the games development.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.