Hassan Hom
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hi,

Me and my friends play the board game Small World.

We were thinking that it would be fun to keep track on game winnings/losses/placement and to organize this into some kind of ongoing league.

The problem is that we do not have any organized schedule, but we play games very sporadically. Sometime 1v1, sometimes 1v1v1v1, some people play alot, some people only join for one or a few games to never play again.

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to place this into some kind of ranking list with a league leader at the top and other players following depending on performance in games/winnings?

If it really messes things up, we would consider not counting any score for 1v1 games, or keep this separately and only have a "league" for games with more than two players in them.

All tips are welcome! Maybe somebody has done something similar before?

Thanks!

/gc

And a little something about how Small World works: It is a competitive board game with a set number of rounds. After all rounds have been played all the players have a score and you know who is the winner, runner-up, second runner-up, loser etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Riker
msg tools
Just thinking about how I would set it up... Maybe if each game had a certain number of points up for grabs times the number of players. For example, say you set it at 10 points per player. A 4-player game would have a total of 40 points that could be won, and at the end you divide it up based on everyone's score. You could even have a 5-point bonus or something for the winner. I don't know how Small World works, but for example, if the scores ended up:

PlayerA: 40
PlayerB: 30
PlayerC: 15
PlayerD: 15

Then you could award points in your league like:

PlayerA: 21pts
PlayerB: 12pts
PlayerC: 6pts
PlayerD: 6pts

Or if you wanted to keep it balanced better with those that weren't there, give people a score that would either increase or decrease based on their wins. Using the game scores from above, your league might award:

PlayerA: +15pts
PlayerB: +5pts
PlayerC: -10pts
PlayerD: -10pts

That way their standings would change, but the total points everyone had would remain the same, and people wouldn't have a lower standing just because they weren't in that game.

Hope some of that is helpful. That's just how I would probably handle it. Really like the idea of the league scoring, and I hope it works out for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sisada Ransibrahmanakul
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkapi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
first sorry for my english.

i recommend ELO score system (same using in iOS Cacarssone)

let every one start to have same point , says 1200 (this number mean nothing just some init number for each new player) then input the result here
http://elo.divergentinformatics.com/
then just keep the record of latest score for each players

this ELO system is are used in many games now (mainly in Chess and MTG league) and it quite represent strength of individual player quite well. The more point different u have the more point gain/loss each player will get. weak player will not loss much point when played with strong player , in contrast the strong player will loss huge point if he was beaten by weak player (eg much lower point).

check wiki for more info

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hassan Hom
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hi!

Thanks alot for the reply.

As you said, giving everyone a +score in every game makes it unfair/unbalanced for the people who were not in the game.

I like what you are suggesting. I would not give a percentage of a score pool depending of number of winning points though, since the amounts of points in a game can be very random. But based on placement would be ok.

So for a 2 player game:
Placement:
1. +1 point
2. -1 point

For a 3 player game:
1. +1 point
2. +-0 points
3. -1 point

For a 4 player game:
1. +2 points
2. +1 point
3. -1 point
4. -2 points

For a 5 player game:
1. +2 points
2. +1 point
3. +-0 points
4. -1 point
5. -2 points

Are there any problems that come to mind when you think about putting this system into practise? Can a player who has only been in one game ever mess up the table somehow?

Also - in a 5-player game it is not impossible to have two players of the same score (normally a tie is solved by counting a number of active units on the board at the games end, but this could also be the same, effectively ending up in a REAL tie). Do you have any ideas on how to handle this in the best way possible? I can think of a few, but I am interested in more opinions here!

Again, thanks alot for the reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hassan Hom
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hi Sisada.

Thanks for the input, I like the idea!

I understand this system in a game like Starcraft II or World of Warcraft arena, where skill and experience is VERY important and makes a huge difference in different games. I am not completely sure that it is needed in a game like Small World though, where newcomers actually have a very fair chance of winning and I dont know if I see a gain in having a "score handicap" for this kind of game.

Also, with this system we would be dependant on an external webpage and some administration work, and I think we would prefer an easy and very accessible way of documenting and reading current scores, so that everyone can get involved even if they are really not that dedicated (nerdy), heh.

But a great tip, thanks alot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Riker
msg tools
For a tie, you could just add their points and split them. For example, if the top two players would normally get +4 and +2 points respectively, and there were two players tied for first, just give each of them +3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hassan Hom
Sweden
flag msg tools
You have a point. So to make it easier to divide points, just in case of ties, maybe the amount of points per placement should be bigger? Otherwise, we could have scenarios of players getting +-0.5 points ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an alternative. We have a variation of this for our Poker League.

For each game:
...You get 1 point for every player whose score is less than yours.
...You get a bonus point for being the winner.

At the end of the league, each player uses their best 5 games to calculate their league score. This can make it so infrequent players still have a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gcbah wrote:
You have a point. So to make it easier to divide points, just in case of ties, maybe the amount of points per placement should be bigger? Otherwise, we could have scenarios of players getting +-0.5 points ?

I don't see a problem with a half point. Embrace the fractions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hassan Hom
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hi again,

The ranking system is on!

We decided to go with a system of:

Every new player starts on 100 points.

5 players total:
1st place: +4
2nd place: +2
3rd place: 0
4th place: -2
5th place -4

4 players total:
1st place: +4
2nd place: +2
3rd place: -2
4th place -4

3 players total:
1st place: +2
2nd place: 0
3rd place: -2

2 players total:
1st place: +2
2nd place: -2

It seems even and fair, and means that we never need to deal with half points.

The ranks after 3 games are right now as follows:
#1 is a player who play games very sporadically at 104 points.

I am currently ranked #2 at 102 points.

#3 is a player who still has not played a game since the point system was introduced (so her score is right now 100).

Place #4 (98 points) and #5 (96 points) belong to the people who actually spend the most time playing board games, which kind of shows that ELO system is not really necessary - everyone has a fair chance of winning now matter of your experience.

The system also works if you want to play 1v1 games, since you just compete about your own scores and do not mess up the ranking system no matter how many games you play.

Thanks everyone for the input!!

BR,
gc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Daniels
United States
Goshen
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
How did this turnout, where the players happy with the result?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.