Advanced Squad Leader» Forums » Rules

Subject: What is the benefit of a Cavalry wave? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Human Wave gives +1 to Morale, Immunity to Pin and extra MFs without having to go CX.

Cavalry Wave gives...?

I mean, each Cavalry can make their own individual charges so why would they do it in a wave?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. The benefits are:

1) Massive kudos.

2) There may be a benefit to using impulse movement, as opposed to non-impulse movement for a normal charge. Bear in mind that the cavalry wave can be combined with a charge.

Other than that, no benefit, I think.

Cavalry charges are fairly rare in ASL play, I think, never mind cavalry waves. Just too risky, unless there's an isolated enemy unit and the cavalrty player is willing to eat the defensive fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you actually questioning pointless chrome rules in ASL?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
pointless chrome
Isn't that a pleonastic expression?
Chrome is the art of adding pointless elements to a game, with an aesthetical aim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked the same question at gamesquad a while back. The answers here are more or less the same as I got.

There is some benefit to impulse movement. In non-impulse movement the defender can lay down a wall of residual FP for you to ride through. In impulse movement you won't have to deal with most of these as you go through hexes as the residual are being laid down.

Any scenarios out there that mandate a Cavalry Wave by SSR?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Florie
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
I asked the same question at gamesquad a while back. The answers here are more or less the same as I got.

There is some benefit to impulse movement. In non-impulse movement the defender can lay down a wall of residual FP for you to ride through. In impulse movement you won't have to deal with most of these as you go through hexes as the residual are being laid down.

Better yet, has anyone ever done a cavalry wave?

Cheers,

Josh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
The nearest to such an SSR would be in A12 Savoia!, where the Italian Cavalry must charge and no one dismount voluntarily during Turn 1.
Happily, Early Morning Sun blindness helps them not all finish as minced meat (and the Russians are limited to max 1 squad per hex, and none adjacent one to another).

I never made any cavalry wave and I think I would need a SSR which would force me to do it.

Now, scenarios with cavalry are already quite rare.
And among them, most of the time one has horses to move faster, but the true battle is done by dismounted units (Cavalry is awfully vulnerable).

Impulse movement can have an advantage vs. some Defensive First Fire situations (as it limits the number of fires taken), but under the condition that there are no MG around which can simultaneously rack a full line of the Wave with a Firelane.
So even charging is not recommended vs. unbroken units, IMO.

Perhaps "Ramsey's Charge" (US cav facing Japanese) could offer a (partly) reasonable opportunity to try a Cav Wave?

So, as a conclusion, I would say that I would try a Cavalry Wave for the fun of it, but certainly not as a way to win a scenario.
Yeeha !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb

Robin wrote:
Perhaps "Ramsey's Charge" (US cav facing Japanese) could offer a (partly) reasonable opportunity to try a Cav Wave?

I think only human wave eligible nationalities can cavalry wave, so Russians, Chinese and GMD only.

I've yet to perform a cavalry charge, but it's high on my list of ASL things to do, up there with performing a multiple overrun, capturing and using an opponent's AFV etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Armstrong
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eoin Corrigan wrote:

Robin wrote:

I think only human wave eligible nationalities can cavalry wave, so Russians, Chinese and GMD only.

I've yet to perform a cavalry charge, but it's high on my list of ASL things to do, up there with performing a multiple overrun, capturing and using an opponent's AFV etc.

Any nationality can Cavalry Wave (2nd sentence of A13.62).

But, really, do cavalry need a way to die FASTER?!?!?!?

So, no, never tried it. I'm with Robin, I'd need an SSR. And then I'd probably skip the scenario since I tend to pass on scripted things.

Might be a bucket list item. Yep, that could be the motivation!

S
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definite bucket list item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add to the bucket list objective : "... and win the scenario".whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No way, I don't want to live forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Armstrong
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
I would add to the bucket list objective : "... and win the scenario".whistle

If I add that, I'll never cross anything off!

S
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
drmark64 wrote:
The nearest to such an SSR would be in A12 Savoia!, where the Italian Cavalry must charge and no one dismount voluntarily during Turn 1.
Happily, Early Morning Sun blindness helps them not all finish as minced meat (and the Russians are limited to max 1 squad per hex, and none adjacent one to another).

I never made any cavalry wave and I think I would need a SSR which would force me to do it.

I've done Savoia's charge as a wave.. as noted, it is designed to bring down the amount of Def Fire that the attacker's as a whole face. You can also cover a lot of ground pretty quickly, and if there is no cover then this is useful.

Savoia you can virtually pack up after Turn 1, the Italians either lost it or won it on the charge..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.