Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derrick Bergeron
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all
I wanted to get opinions on the random encounters? I'm OLing a campayign currently in silver level and our group has collectively given up on encounters. They take excessively.long to setup for what is generally a very quick bit of play that nets very little reward for the players or the OL. The while group has consented on this, but I find myself worrying: am I doing something very wrong here or do others folks feel the same. The OL already has the party beat in xp by about 60, so we're free at the point where (because of divine favor) one of the players (using mad carthos) is worth no points to me.
To keep the progress that these encounters represent I've come up with a system where if an encounter is rolled I roll a power die. Depending on the result either the OL gets half the parties worth of co quest points, the party gets 2 conquest and 250 gold or the OL gets 2 conquest and the party gets 1 conquest and 100 gold.I want to like the encounters cuz the boat is half the fun, but they just feel like a waste of time to me.
Does anyone else feel the same? Has anyone come up with a different system to make them more fun?
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, we've only done one Encounter in our group, and two Lt Encounters. The one we played we kinda screwed up a few rules, being the first time we'd played with the boats. So from our experience, I can't help too much. But from what a lot of other players have reported, yes the Encounters seem pointless. The Heroes tend to feel they cannot be won so rush as quickly to the other side of the map, which gives the OL little time to get any attacks in.

It's really a shame too, since boat encounters is the whole point of Sea of Blood! It's the new mechanics introduced with the expansion, and I was really looking forward to some swashbuckling good time! But instead, we get stuck with components no one ever wants to use...

As for a good fix, I haven't heard nor seen any. My group has "fixed" it by getting the upgrade that they can travel twice as well as remove one die from the roll, so we usually never even have a chance for an Encounter.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
revderrick wrote:
The OL already has the party beat in xp by about 60, so we're free at the point where (because of divine favor) one of the players (using mad carthos) is worth no points to me.

I thought that there was a clarification that the minimum conquest value for a character was 1. It's been a while since I have followed the SoB discussion and I could not find it in the FAQ. So maybe it was a forum post or just a suggestion. Fuzzy memory...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Bergeron
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be good, ill have to keep an eye out for that
. As it is Mad Carthos has a combo of skills and abilities that let him damage himself for extra attacks and damage and since he has worth0 he'd just so this until down to one health regularly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
edroz wrote:

I thought that there was a clarification that the minimum conquest value for a character was 1. It's been a while since I have followed the SoB discussion and I could not find it in the FAQ. So maybe it was a forum post or just a suggestion. Fuzzy memory...

I'm surprised it hasn't been put in the FAQ, but I do recall this question being sent in to FFG and the resulting answer coming back as minimum 1. This was one of the first things players asked about when SoB was released.

As far as the OP's question about removing encounters, I guess you don't lose that much by doing it. I mean, the OL loses an opportunity to maybe kill a hero or two, but if the party is well organized it seems unlikely that most encounters would yield such benefits.

On the other hand, even if you don't kill a hero, you can at least whittle down their health, which for most heroes, does not regenerate for free. Even if they go heal in town, they're using resources as a result. Plus you're missing out on the extremely uncommon non-combat encounters. =P

I would be inclined to at least come up with something to replace them, so the heroes aren't just wandering freely across the wilderness. Maybe a simple system involving a single die roll that offers a cash reward if successful and a few HP damage to each hero if failed. The magnitude of the reward/penalty to vary depending on the encounter level, of course.

I do agree that encounters (both in RtL and SoB) seem to slow things down and interrupt the flow of the game for relatively little difference most times. But I also don't like the idea that everything is perfectly safe above ground, except for LTs and dungeons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Bergeron
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:

I would be inclined to at least come up with something to replace them, so the heroes aren't just wandering freely across the wilderness. Maybe a simple system involving a single die roll that offers a cash reward if successful and a few HP damage to each hero if failed. The magnitude of the reward/penalty to vary depending on the encounter level, of course.

Yea I currently roll to determine an encounter as usual then roll 1,2 or 3the power dice based on the encounter level to determine who gets conquest, etc. Saves a heck of a lot of time. I just wish they weren't so clunky, because I love the idea behind them :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
revderrick wrote:

Yea I currently roll to determine an encounter as usual then roll 1,2 or 3the power dice based on the encounter level to determine who gets conquest, etc. Saves a heck of a lot of time. I just wish they weren't so clunky, because I love the idea behind them

Well, really the only clunky bit about them is the time it takes to set up the encounter map (compounded by the fact that every outdoor tile is unique so you have to find one specific tile instead of one of a given shape/size.)

In theory, you could make full-scale scans of each encounter map and print them out on large sheets of paper, and then all you'd need to do is leaf through the pile to find the one you drew from the deck. That would speed things up nicely without sacrificing anything, now that I think about it.

I might just have to go do that now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Colvin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The 'Minimum 1 Conquest' rule was from a thread somewhere here in response to the rules going online and this very question being asked. Kevin Wilson (the designer) came straight back and confirmed it, although there has never been an official errata beyond this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.