Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So how is Conquest vs Runewars or Chaos in the Old World? It's very interesting how WotC/Hasbro is getting right up in FFG's grill?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshal Anderson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see this taking up some Runewars space with my group.

Grumbs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Beck
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Electronic Eremite
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
So how is Conquest vs Runewars or Chaos in the Old World? It's very interesting how WotC/Hasbro is getting right up in FFG's grill? :)

From all I've read, it is difficult to compare with Runewars, or CitOW. Or perhaps it a similar comparison of Wrath of Ashardalon to Descent - both have dungeons but play very differently.

I'm still waiting on my copy, but why I bought Conquest was because it seems to be more pure "Ameritrash" fighting and rolling - like Axis and Allies than the Euro infused games of Runewars and Twilight Imperium 3rd (which is my favorite game). Yes, these games are fun, but sometimes people want/need something a little easier to learn/teach, a bit faster paced, and a bit more clear.

So, unlike RW, which has role card, territorial control mechanics, diplomacy, and separate units for fighting and questing (and which can largely be won without that many battles), CoN is a battle-from-the-start, no turtling, roll those dice, manage your money wargame.

Comparison to CitOW is even farther off. CitOW is a territorial control game solely and unless you play Khorne you can almost ignore battles (well, not completely true but not far from it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gryps
Greece
flag msg tools
Really slow painter...
badge
Gryphus Graecus
mbmbmbmbmb
I would deeply appreciated a miniature size comparison (photos welcome) between Nerath and Runewars!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshal Anderson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gryps wrote:
I would deeply appreciated a miniature size comparison (photos welcome) between Nerath and Runewars!

A quick reply is that, although they're similar, the CoN small figures seem a lot more robust - some of those little RW minis just break off at the legs :O(

Grumbs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Culp
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From all I have seen and read CoN is not RW or CitOW and appears to be much simpler. CoN seems to be more of a dice fest style game a slightly deeper A&A.

I also agree with the above comparison of Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon with Descent. Descent is a very in-depth cooperative dungeon crawl with a lot of options open to players, the WotC offerings were just terrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Runewars and Nerath are very similar - the former is more complex than the latter, but the idea is very similar. The figures are the same scale, but the RW figures are a bit thinner / skinnier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.