Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a pretty common question I've seen amongst the forums, each time being asked it has always been unique in it's requirements. Here are my hopes for help from the BGG community to take further steps towards further gaming with my lovely fiancé

Danielle, my fiancé, dabbled at console gaming growing up. Nothing too in depth, just the usual NES/SNES affairs. She didn't realize there was a much larger world to gaming until she met me several years ago.

I'm a pretty versatile gamer myself, traversing between consoles, PC, boardgames, cardgames, RPGs... pretty much everything I can get my hands on. I'm deep into "thematic" games personally. After eventually gaining interest from watching me play Danielle was intrigued enough to start playing World of Warcraft (just before Burning Crusade, FYI) and even eventually got into Left 4 Dead and it's sequel.

But that's where the video games end. Why you ask? Because she's been spoilt by high-quality gameplay & graphics and never looked back. These are her measuring sticks for videogames so it makes it tough to introduce nearly anything. We've both quit playing WoW, just before Cataclysm despite buying it, and rarely play L4D any more due to one of our PCs being out of action. So this has brought us back to the boardgames & myself seeking advice here.

In the boardgame field we've always enjoyed playing games of Monopoly (having several versions), Upwords, Scrabble, Guess Who? and most other Milton Bradley/Parker Brothers affairs.

I have a pretty well-rounded collection as far as game-types go, not necessarily varying theme but certainly mechanics, but it's been hard to pull Danielle into any of the games.

Monsterpocalypse was probably the first game outside of the "family" games circle that she was willing to try. The game lasted a few days before the truth came out of "I just play it because you enjoy it". Needless to say we don't play that now

Zombie in my Pocket, Cthulhu Dice, Zombie Fluxx & Zombie Dice are all a hit, but don't last anywhere near as long as either of us would like. Vampire: Dark Influences has gone down pretty well, but that game even confuses me at times due to it's poorly written rules. World of Warcraft Trading Card Game was a massive win with her, but attempts at playing other TCG/CCGs have failed due to the lack of the "Warcraft" theme and terminologies which she is comfortable with, ruling out Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game & Rage as well as soon-to-be-in-my-possession Vampire: The Eternal Struggle, Anima: Shadow of Omega & Nightfall.

Dragon Dice, HeroClix, Shadowrun Duels, Mechwarrior: Dark Age are just a little overbearing to even begin to play together & I can completely understand her disinterest in playing any of these.

It goes without saying that Danielle has interest in getting World of Warcraft: The Boardgame, World of Warcraft: The Adventure Game & World of Warcraft Miniatures Game but I'm just a little worried that some of them may either be a little too complex or in the case of Miniatures possibly too "collectible" requiring heavy "money sinking" just to get decent units together.

She's pretty happy to dabble with Zombies, Vampires, Werewolves and at a push non-Warcraft Fantasy but won't go near Sci-Fi at all. Theme isn't really necessary but would certainly help myself to want to play the game as well, though open to anything really so long as it isn't Sci-Fi (for her sake).

Obviously looking for 2 player games with varying game length up to 3-4 hours maximum. Avoidance of "collectible" games is essential, regardless of being cheap or OOP. Also looking to steer clear of anything that requires deck/army building of any description; nothing wrong with card use but it took weeks to teach deck building for WoW TCG and I don't think either of us are ready for that experience anytime in the next decade together

Alternatively anyone who has experience with any of the World of Warcraft Boardgames your advice would also be highly appreciated. I look forward to absolutely anything people can offer! Thank you all in advance for your replies!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife really enjoys World of Warcraft: The Adventure Game. Personally I find it a bit repetitive. Some of the characters are horribly unbalanced, too. If you want to win, play the Paladin. The Orc Warrior is a good second choice (the Night Elf Warrior sucks, because she's Prot). The only ranged characters worth considering are the two Rangers.

That said it still captures WoW very well in boardgame form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
My wife really enjoys World of Warcraft: The Adventure Game. Personally I find it a bit repetitive. Some of the characters are horribly unbalanced, too. If you want to win, play the Paladin.

Sounds like World of Warcraft through & through *laughs* What sort of game length can you expect to see out of it? Is it overly complex or pretty straight forward?

damiangerous wrote:
the Night Elf Warrior sucks, because she's Prot

Any points for guessing what my main was when I did use to play? *laughs* Though I had a male character...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mohrlock wrote:
Sounds like World of Warcraft through & through *laughs* What sort of game length can you expect to see out of it? Is it overly complex or pretty straight forward?

It's very easy to play. Your turn consists of rolling the movement/energy die, choosing to use a resource of the space you land on (mostly heal or draw ability cards) then (usually) drawing an encounter card and fighting a mob using the ability cards in your hand which require spending the energy you rolled earlier. When you defeat the mob you flip it over and the loot on the back is your reward. If you don't defeat it it stays on that space for everyone to deal with. If it's an Aggro mob you can't move away from it.

There are four character levels (gray, green, yellow, red) and you can only move to a color of space you are high enough for. The encounter decks are colored the same and you draw from the color of space you stop on. To win you're racing to 8 Valor Points, which are earned mostly from turning in quests (you can also cheese it by sitting on Booty Bay and turning in item sets for VP, which can be an incredibly boring but valid strategy). Quests are exactly what you would expect for WoW, mostly either "Kill X creatures of type Y" or "Go to space X, get something and bring it space Y."

The reason I find it repetitive is because it's exactly like WoW. The game becomes "Roll, Move, Fight" almost on autopilot. The loot usually sucks or can't be used by your class and it's often best to just grind easy mobs to get that mob type you need for your quest.

With two players length is about 60-90 once you've learned it, not counting setup and breakdown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Dwyer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Arkham Horror, though be prepared for some initial rules-learning. Check out Arkham Horror's Forum page and print off some FAQ/Summary sheets to initially help learn the game. There are lots of options (and replayability) with just the base game, and multiple expansions exist to add even more to the game if you find you enjoy it.

If the horror/undead theme appeals, there are several other fun games out there; one I've been enjoying is Nightfall, a deck-building game akin to Dominion, but with much more attacking and interaction. I haven't tried it with two players yet, but that might be another game worth looking at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vagabondriot wrote:
Arkham Horror may be right up your alley. I've recently gotten into it myself and love it. Co-op game that plays with 1-8 players and is a rather fantastic experience. I'd recommend trying it out.

Arkham Horror is certainly on my list for future purchase

damiangerous wrote:

It's very easy to play.

With two players length is about 60-90 once you've learned it, not counting setup and breakdown.

The mechanics sound extremely like WoW and also pretty straight forward. This is the one that you can purchase the extra Character packs for as well IIRC? It sounds like this is a great stepping stone game to help bridge my fiancé across to other games whilst still having a game that's somewhat enjoyable for myself to play as well.

Rimjack wrote:
+1 for Arkham Horror, though be prepared for some initial rules-learning. Check out Arkham Horror's Forum page and print off some FAQ/Summary sheets to initially help learn the game.

Noted & will certainly have a look. Hoping for something that isn't too complex. If something appears to be too complex initially then Danielle won't even give it a look in

Rimjack wrote:
Nightfall, a deck-building game akin to Dominion, but with much more attacking and interaction. I haven't tried it with two players yet, but that might be another game worth looking at.

I've got this already on order & as I said in the OP I highly doubt this deck builder, or any, will be of interest. I'll be cautiously optimistic, but I'm doubting even the enticement of Vampires & Werewolves is going to be enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two D&D board games (Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game, Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game, and in October, Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game) are quite good. They're designed for 1-5 players, with a play time of about an hour. Gameplay is 100% cooperative. Ravenloft has more of an undead/horror theme, with a vampire as the main adversary, and Ashardalon is sort of a volcanic mountain cavern theme, with the titular character being a large red dragon. My wife and I have been playing through Ashardalon, and I just picked up Ravenloft.

Also, Arkham Horror is pretty fantastic, but it's definitely much more complicated than the D&D board games (even if you don't have the ten or so expansion sets). It's another 100% cooperative game, this time for 1-8 players. I've gotten the hang of most of it, and am hoping to drag my wife into a game this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
davidbrit2 wrote:
The two D&D board games (Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game, Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game, and in October, Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game) are quite good. They're designed for 1-5 players, with a play time of about an hour.

We have Ashardalon and it's frustratingly impossible. After a half dozen tries we never completed the first scenario. There's basically no healing and the traps are ridiculously damaging.

It's a great concept with a poor implementation. I can probably fix it up with some house rules, but I shouldn't have to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidbrit2 wrote:
Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game, Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game, and in October, Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game) are quite good. They're designed for 1-5 players, with a play time of about an hour. Gameplay is 100% cooperative. Ravenloft has more of an undead/horror theme, with a vampire as the main adversary

I'll have to see how many pennies Castle Ravenloft is fetching at the local store. Alternatively this sounds like something at least myself & my gaming friends could enjoy

davidbrit2 wrote:
Arkham Horror is pretty fantastic, but it's definitely much more complicated than the D&D board games.

I'll keep this in mind. I'm hoping to make the right step the first time, as I've learnt from Monsterpocalypse and perhaps should have eased Danielle in with something more like HeroClix. Thanks to MonPoc CMGs are out of the picture for good, aside from anything Warcraft related. I'm a huge Lovecraft fan and it'd break my heart for a game like Arkham Horror to turn her off boardgaming cry

damiangerous wrote:
We have Ashardalon and it's frustratingly impossible... It's a great concept with a poor implementation. I can probably fix it up with some house rules, but I shouldn't have to.

Perhaps they steeped the difficulty from Ravenloft to Ashardalon? I'm hoping so at least. If that's the case then Drizzt will likely be a step even further.

The fact these games are cooperative is great as well, I'm open to either cooperative or competitive. Thanks for your advice so far guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just doing a bit of a necro on this thread zombie

I'm fairly decided that of all the "Warcraft" options World of Warcraft: The Adventure Game will be the most fitting of the handful.

Whilst I'm dubious on Arkham Horror & Nightfall being suitable for this occassion, these two games are already planned to meet my collection regardless so there's the off chance Danielle may play either of these. I have a funny feeling that Nightfall is likely to appeal more so than Arkham.

And lastly I'll be having a scour round to see if I can find a acceptably priced copy of Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game.

Based on all the above information & discounting these games are there any further suggestions anyone can offer up on this discussion? Please don't feel too inclined for the games to be dripping with theme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much everything you listed was very themey and dark. If you are really looking for something more Euro, you might look at something like Stone Age, Thebes, or Pandemic (cooperative). There are tons of good-with-2 Euros to choose from, at everything from light weight to super heavy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Pretty much everything you listed was very themey and dark.

I think that comes from a combination of what Danielle already likes (in OP) & my own tastes My personal preference is drenching a game in theme and heavy "story" focus to set the mood. I'm pretty open to anything though

peakhope wrote:
You might look at something like Stone Age, Thebes, or Pandemic (cooperative).

Pandemic is something that has grabbed my attention many times. I think Danielle would probably like it alot as well if the mechanics of the game are fun enough to enjoy. I'll have a hunt around for it next time I hit my LGS .

Not too sure the other two games would go down so well for either of us, but I certainly appreciate your recommendations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hamachek
United States
Manitowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the Rivals for Catan the card game and that is definetly worth a look for a 2 player game. To me it took the original Settlers of Catan boardgame and (hmmm how do i say this without offending alot of people on this site ) made it fun. Its lasts around an hour and there are lots of choices to be made throughout the game. Setup is minimal but the game is space hungry so have a big table handy. Beware of the rule book if you get this one. It is good but seems to jump around alot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bechidow wrote:
Just got the Rivals for Catan the card game and that is definetly worth a look for a 2 player game.

Will check it out...

bechidow wrote:
To me it took the original Settlers of Catan boardgame and (hmmm how do i say this without offending alot of people on this site ) made it fun.

...mainly due to this comment *laughs*. I've looked at Settlers of Catan a few times and it just didn't sound all that enticing to me. I'll look into Rivals. Surely my LGS has it as he seems to give all the Catan games pride-of-place in his store. I'm pretty sure SoC & Carcassonne are his two favourite games based on stock/placement

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b3n j4m1n
msg tools
Claustrophobia is a fun 2 player and not too complex. It reminds me of a Diablo theme, fighting demons in randomly created dungeons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
b3nj4m1nm wrote:
Claustrophobia is a fun 2 player and not too complex. It reminds me of a Diablo theme, fighting demons in randomly created dungeons

Price tag is a bit hefty on that here, but I've certainly got desires to own it either way Are all the mobs "loot pinatas" like they are in Diablo? *laughs*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b3n j4m1n
msg tools
Mohrlock wrote:
b3nj4m1nm wrote:

Price tag is a bit hefty on that here, but I've certainly got desires to own it either way Are all the mobs "loot pinatas" like they are in Diablo? *laughs*

haha no, there's no loot. i just meant the theme is similar plus the random dungeons.

ya its a bit pricey but the stuff is pretty high quality, plus the guys are already painted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
b3nj4m1nm wrote:
haha no, there's no loot.

b3nj4m1nm wrote:
Plus the guys are already painted

BIG +1 for that! I just had a look at some images and the random dungeons look beautiful as do the minis.

I'll have to have a closer look at the price next time I head in to the LGS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.