7 Posts

Android» Forums » General

Subject: Reviews rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gábor Koszper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to find some information about this game online, because I couldn't play it before purchasing it. So I read some reviews. If I see another one which is all about that there's no real killer, my head is going to explode. It's not like every boardgame in the world would simulate the mechanic of their real-world counterparts. Why should this game be especially realistic? It's noir in a cyberpunk setting, it's not at all realistic, it's anacronistic.

In the end I decided especially because of these negative reviews to buy it. (Not to speak about those that are all about how it's too complicated and that it has way too many components. Come on, that's exactly what I like in these new games. But next time I want some real dolls, like in Starcraft or Doom.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
With over 1500 ratings, Android has a net result of 6.8 and a ranking of 506... tens of thousands of games in the database and this one is almost in the top 500.

I think it's a pretty safe bet you made a good purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
algi wrote:
But next time I want some real dolls,

*ahem* Dolls!? I sir, do NOT play with Dolls!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You think that's air you're breathing?
badge
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant That We Should voyage far.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great game, enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Grey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
algi wrote:
In the end I decided especially because of these negative reviews to buy it. (Not to speak about those that are all about how it's too complicated and that it has way too many components. Come on, that's exactly what I like in these new games. But next time I want some real dolls, like in Starcraft or Doom.)

Congratulations, I hope you like it.

I like it, which makes things harder. You see, it being a complicated game isn't a problem for me, but it's a deal breaker with my gaming group. We managed to make it about 3 turns before "that guy" (you know the one) complained loud enough and often enough that we quit. Because of "that guy", the others aren't interested in trying it again. My other gaming group has several "that guy"s, so I haven't even tried it with them. I've only managed to get through an entire game a couple of times, and those were only 2 player. (I suspect that the game loses something with less than 3 players.)

So if you have a group that is wildly enthusiastic about taking the time to learn games with a little complexity then you're in luck. If not, your poor game of Android is going to lead a lonely life on your shelf like mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McKendrick
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fine with two players ... we usually still stick to 4 suspects though.... do all gaming groups have 'that guy'

Are you 'that guy' with other gaming groups?

I suspect I might be with certain (euro) type games

Regards

John

ps .. I'd still play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Grey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnMcKendrick wrote:
It's fine with two players ... we usually still stick to 4 suspects though.... do all gaming groups have 'that guy'

I don't know. I ran across several in college, and currently have a few scattered amongst those I play with. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

JohnMcKendrick wrote:
Are you 'that guy' with other gaming groups?

I suspect I might be with certain (euro) type games

I certainly try not to be, but I may not always succeed. (I’m more of an analysis paralysis, turns take 3 times as long as they should “that guy” than a won’t listen to the rules, then complain loudly every couple minutes about how much a game sucks and we should play something else “that guy”) If I don’t care for a new game right away, I’ll save my criticism till the end. I’ve seen lots of games with boring openings that really pick up in the midgame, and I’d hate to miss out on a new favorite just because I didn’t give it an honest chance. If I don’t understand the rules, I’ll ask to read them in the off-turn so I can figure out what I’m missing. I don’t whine about how “I don’t get it”, but make no effort to figure it out on my own and ignore everyone else when they try to help me.

I also differ from the stereotypical “that guy” in that I’ll play games that I genuinely hate if everyone else wants to because I don’t want to be the one person preventing my friends from playing something that they really want to play. Hopefully next time one that I enjoy will be picked and if a different friend doesn’t like it then the same courtesy will be shown to me. “That guy” refuses to play anything he doesn’t care for, and if he discovers he doesn’t like it mid-game he’ll complain up a storm until we cave in to his demands and play something else.

I’m guilty of a number of gamer character flaws. This just isn’t one of them.

JohnMcKendrick wrote:
Regards

John

ps .. I'd still play

I’m sure we will, it’s just going to take time. “That guy” has a long list of games he won’t play, so on the game nights when he’s absent everyone is lobbying for their games of choice. Given that some of our all time favorites are on that list, it’s hard to sneak in a game that people like, but haven’t had the chance to fall in love with yet. (I’d really like to get a proper game of Android in, but it’s hard for me to turn down an opportunity to play Roborally or Space Alert given the chance.) Several of them have played it with me two player, but the two player version is only ok so it hasn’t had a chance to really endear itself to anyone.

I apologise for the long rant, this became more long winded than I had intended, but it does still relate to the original post. Android is a fun game, but it requires a group with a lot of patience. If you think you will like it you should get it, but understand that it may take a while to find people you can play it with. In my experience, Android doesn’t have much solo potential, and two player feels very limited. You need a group, and I wish you the best of luck in assembling one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.