Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
A fighter attacks a bomber, which responds with defensive fire that hits the fighter but doesn't destroy it, and the fighter can't fire on the bomber. The bomber then corkscrews. Can the fighter attempt to follow the bomber?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Grossman
United States
Grand Junction
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Doug,

Is 17.4.2 (2nd para) the section that is making you question this?
"If any hit is scored on the nightfighter, it breaks off its attack and cannot attack that phase."

If so, I don't think anything in the subsequent corkscrew rules prohibit following the bomber with a damaged nightfighter.

JeffG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
Kirk "The Man" Douglas (Vikings)
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting question, which I'd like to from Lee on as well.

My interpretation of this is the bomber result roll:

If the roll is a result of defensive fire (17.4.2) then the bomber fires and if damage to fighter happens he breaks off attack

If the roll is a corkscrew (17.4.3) then the bomber fires, and then corkscrews. The fighter (regardless of damage caused by bomber before it corkscrews) because of 17.4.3 would be allowed to follow.

That's how I've been playing it, but I am usually correctedcool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcooley wrote:
A fighter attacks a bomber, which responds with defensive fire that hits the fighter but doesn't destroy it, and the fighter can't fire on the bomber. The bomber then corkscrews. Can the fighter attempt to follow the bomber?

The short answer is 'yes'. Defensive fire that scores hits abort the attack [17.4.2]. However, following a corkscrew is not an attack.

Of course, a corkscrew can possibly result in a fighter finding itself back in an attack position [17.4.3, 5th para]. However, the wording in 17.4.2 that the fighter cannot attack that phase takes precedence here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zhodanicommando wrote:

My interpretation of this is the bomber result roll:

If the roll is a result of defensive fire (17.4.2) then the bomber fires and if damage to fighter happens he breaks off attack

If the roll is a corkscrew (17.4.3) then the bomber fires, and then corkscrews. The fighter (regardless of damage caused by bomber before it corkscrews) because of 17.4.3 would be allowed to follow.

That's pretty much it. Note that normally a successful follow manoeuvre (i.e. guessing the right hex) could be followed up by an attack, but hits on the fighter would prohibit this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotofficerprune wrote:
dcooley wrote:

The short answer is 'yes'. Defensive fire that scores hits abort the attack [17.4.2]. However, following a corkscrew is not an attack.

Of course, a corkscrew can possibly result in a fighter finding itself back in an attack position [17.4.3, 5th para]. However, the wording in 17.4.2 that the fighter cannot attack that phase takes precedence here.

Makes perfect sense - thnx for the clarification, Lee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotofficerprune wrote:
dcooley wrote:

Excellent. I'm planning on playing this with a nephew who's gotten into wargaming this next week at a family vacation. So far the rules have been very clear (I'm reading up on AI Radar right now) but this could have gone either way depending upon how you define "attack" and "break off". Thanks for the fast response. I'll let everyone know how the games go (hopefully we'll get through the scenarios, although there are other games to be played) and I'm really looking forward to trying the campaign eventually.

Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.