Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Could Bear Trap/Quagmire Force you to hold a Scoring Card? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek
United States
29730
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We are in the 5th turn, I am playing the Soviets. I Headlined Africa Scoring, played card for 2 ops coup in 1st action round. I played China card for influence in 2nd AR, and SE Asian scoring in 3rd AR. My US opponent played Bear Trap for the event in 3rd US AR; this is my hand at start of my USSR 4th AR with Bear Trap in effect:

Asia Scoring
1 Lone Gunman
3 Shuttle Diplomacy
2 Grain Sales to Soviets
2 John Paul II
2 Nuclear Subs

I discard Nuclear Subs, roll 5 for 4th AR. Discard John Paul II, roll 6 for 5th AR. Discard Grain Sales, roll 5 for 6th AR. Bear Trap states I have to repeat until successful or no appropriate cards remain. If I am out of cards worth 2 or more I can play only scoring cards until next turn. For my 7th and last AR of the turn, do I:

1) Play Asia Scoring as it cannot be held, and not discard even though I have a card worth 2 or more.
2) Discard Shuttle Diplomacy and I am forced to hold scoring card. If I hold a scoring card have I lost the game?

I realize these are very unlucky/unlikely die rolls, although I was able to discard a hand full of US events. In this scenario could you be forced to hold a scoring card?

Sorry if this has already been answered in another post or FAQ.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1 is correct. You play the scoring card.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Play Asia scoring. If you have scoring cards equal to the number of round left you play scoring until the end of the round and then the trap/quagmire continues next round.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
29730
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, that's actually how I played it, holding Shuttle Diplomacy and playing Asia Scoring. Thanks for the rapid response. It actually resulted in a Turn 5 Soviet victory for me. After earning a VP advantage from Africa and SE Asian Scoring, Asia Scoring moved VP counter to -19, with defcon at 2 US player couldn't meet his required mil ops and I won another exciting game of TS.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Wong
msg tools
Excuse me. I'm a newbie. Just want to clarify that is it correct that the effect of the trap/quagmire ends as the TURN ends?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kenykwong2 wrote:
Excuse me. I'm a newbie. Just want to clarify that is it correct that the effect of the trap/quagmire ends as the TURN ends?


No, it keeps going into the following turn until the player rolls a 1-4. I really wish they had added extra wording to that effect in the deluxe edition, because a lot of players assume the effect ends with the turn.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
29730
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, I have had my opponent caught in a Bear Trap with no cards greater than 1 and no scoring cards for his last three action rounds. He was miserable when he realized the Trap would continue into his next turn. Never seen such unlucky die rolling; and you can never seem to get those 5's or 6's in a coup attempt.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
kenykwong2 wrote:
Excuse me. I'm a newbie. Just want to clarify that is it correct that the effect of the trap/quagmire ends as the TURN ends?


No, it keeps going into the following turn until the player rolls a 1-4. I really wish they had added extra wording to that effect in the deluxe edition, because a lot of players assume the effect ends with the turn.

Good to know. So far none of us has ever rolled any unlucky dice, thus the trapmires always ended immediately for either player, BUT we've assumed the effect would end at the end of the turn.

Thanks!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As USSR I will often hold Quagmire till after the US space races hoping to catch him without any of my events. If you don't play it till round 6 or 7 it can easily go into the next turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hepple
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
I reckon that these cards can ruin the game a little. It brings too much luck into the game. If the card simply finished at the end of the turn it would not be as bad, otherwise it can totally change everything.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SimonHepple wrote:
I reckon that these cards can ruin the game a little. It brings too much luck into the game. If the card simply finished at the end of the turn it would not be as bad, otherwise it can totally change everything.


It can also make for a gloriously impossible comeback. Or winning the cold war by overcoming a terrible quagmire that almost cost the game.
Luck does not ruin a game only not enjoying the game can do that.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paddy O'Doors
United States
Bealeton
Virginia
flag msg tools
Bomb Voyage exclaims: Monsieur Incroyable!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sbauer9 wrote:
It can also make for a gloriously impossible comeback. Or winning the cold war by overcoming a terrible quagmire that almost cost the game.
Luck does not ruin a game only not enjoying the game can do that.


thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sbauer9 wrote:
SimonHepple wrote:
I reckon that these cards can ruin the game a little. It brings too much luck into the game. If the card simply finished at the end of the turn it would not be as bad, otherwise it can totally change everything.


It can also make for a gloriously impossible comeback. Or winning the cold war by overcoming a terrible quagmire that almost cost the game.
Luck does not ruin a game only not enjoying the game can do that.


Also the odds of rolling a five or six repeatedly are quite low.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
sbauer9 wrote:
SimonHepple wrote:
I reckon that these cards can ruin the game a little. It brings too much luck into the game. If the card simply finished at the end of the turn it would not be as bad, otherwise it can totally change everything.


It can also make for a gloriously impossible comeback. Or winning the cold war by overcoming a terrible quagmire that almost cost the game.
Luck does not ruin a game only not enjoying the game can do that.


Also the odds of rolling a five or six repeatedly are quite low.


I was once stuck for 9 rounds, that's the most I've seen, still not as bad as the time i had 5 scoring cards in hand though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.