Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
VASSAL module version 2 is now public:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29462732/Inspector%20Moss%202%20Hous...

Included in this release are some cosmetic refinements: A slight background change; the time limit begins at Detective level (45 minutes) - this is the base game's starting time; Evidence, Suspects and Assistance tokens have counters included so you can see how many tokens are remaining in the stacks.

Also, the way dice rolling is handled has changed. If you click on 'Roll Dice', all dice in the Dice Rolling Area will roll, however, a player can automatically lock dice by moving them into the locked area (padlock icon). When 'Roll Dice' is then clicked, any locked dice will not be rolled but will be locked into position. At the end of a player's turn (after dice have been moved to the Dice Allocation Boxes and the time penalty taken off), a player can click 'New Turn' to reset the dice to return all dice to the Dice Rolling Area, ready to roll again.

We would like to thank

Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

for his brilliant work on the original module and I offer my apologies to him for the cumbersome coding that makes the 'refinements' operate!

Edit: Vassal is free open-source software that is used for building and playing online board games. Try it out! Get the current version from http://www.vassalengine.org/.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have made a slight modification to ver 2 (now ver 2.1). This now includes a dice roll counter which increments each time the 'Roll Dice' button is pressed, giving the player a visual on how many times he has rolled the dice. When the counter reaches 3, the player is not able to roll any more times until dice have been allocated and 'New Turn' is pressed. The link remains unchanged.

Edit: Screenshots of the current version:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I downloaded this, but there don't seem to be any .vmod files - which means it won't open in Vassal... ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The download file is a vmod file, so it definitely will open in Vassal.

Just checked in case there is an error and it downloaded and opened in Vassal without any problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hmmmmm. None of the downloaded files would open for me in Vassal. I'll try downloading it again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to make sure, you are using the link in the first post of this thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

When I unzip the zip file all I have are:

moduledata - a file with no file extension - 1 KB
buildFile - a file with no file extension - 118 KB
images - a folder of images
sounds - a folder with sound_dice_roll.wav in it

I've even tried changing the two files to .vmod files, but they still do not open in Vassal.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not need to extract the file as it is already a vmod file.

Try changing the file extension to .vmod on the original downladed file. Do not extract it as it is not a compressed file.

For the record, I'm using Firefox and when I choose to download it, it saves it automatically as a .vmod file, which is how I uploaded it to the server. I never used compression on the file. This is the first time I have heard of a problem with the file and as I mentioned above, I checked the download earlier and it opened and played fine in Vassal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Cheers - that worked a treat! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.