Subject: Best Set of Rules to Use? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Teixeira
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have had War of the Ring for about five years and in that time I have played one basic game which was very, very lacking and infact took longer to set up than to play and one full game that got bogged down by the FFG rule book.
I would really like to try the full game again but not using the FFG rule book as supplied (nor with errata pages) - can anyone point me in the direction of a reformated, easier to read and generally better rule book to use when learning the game?
(note I do not have the expansion just the standard game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the Collector's Edition Rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few minor differences. See this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:

80 pages of waffle and bloat, an FFG masterpiece.

I always found the original 22 page rules were more than sufficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Halfinger wrote:
Krieghund wrote:

80 pages of waffle and bloat, an FFG masterpiece.

I always found the original 22 page rules were more than sufficient.

FFG didn't write them. Many of the extra pages deal with extra rules which were in the expansion, but not in the original, and others are simply illustrations. Comparing only the content from the original, I see the CE presentation as a substantial improvement, both in clarity and completeness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe it is a matter of preference then. I prefer rules to be short and concise with no unnecessary repetition and easy to reference. I find FFG rule books far from this ideal and the CE rules are a prime example of this style, for me anyway.

I tend to play games infrequently as I rotate my collection. So I judge a rulebook by how easy it is to revise before a game. I find OCS easier for this than most FFG style rule books. They just seem to make a game a lot more complex than it actually is which I suspect puts a lot of people off. WotR is low complexity but looking at the rule book you would never guess that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.