Subject: Can someone tells us if you got to play this at Origins? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Dimailig
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can you guys give us your feedback on this game if you got to try this at Origins? I'd like to hear how people's demos went. Unfortunately I couldn't make it to Origins this year. Looking forward to what people have to say about this game

Thanks,
G
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Full
United States
Vienna
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GD360 wrote:
Can you guys give us your feedback on this game if you got to try this at Origins? I'd like to hear how people's demos went. Unfortunately I couldn't make it to Origins this year. Looking forward to what people have to say about this game

Thanks,
G

It plays very much likes streamlined Thunderstone. Rule explanation for new peoples much simpler and it plays significantly faster. Think it lacks some of the choices Thunderstone offers since the dungeon is effectively removed and replaced with automatic player combat, but it is done is somewhat non-confrontational way. In our demo we had 4 very avid Thunderstone players and all of us were very impressed and would have bought it on the spot if it had been for sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a chance to play yesterday and would have bought it had it been available. I was worried after reading the rules that it might be fiddly (and the cheeses factor after reading all the "qu" words was a concrnas well). My fears were not merited. The game was much simpler to learn in person, the components were of good quality, and the gameplay had that beautiful kind of straightforward and streamlined flow that Dominion has.

Since thy are teaching only one pre setup scenario, I am interested to see how long setup takes, but gameplay itself was gloriously fun (and i lost the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are some of the interesting strategic choices that are made in this game? Once you've made a buying (capturing from the wilds) strategy, does the game play itself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Full
United States
Vienna
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quizoid wrote:
What are some of the interesting strategic choices that are made in this game? Once you've made a buying (capturing from the wilds) strategy, does the game play itself?

It has decisions similar to Thunderstone or Dominion. You buys have to be somewhat in response the other players.

You also have opportunities to thin your deck by winning combat and many dice give you special abilities.

Overall I would put the number of decisions closer to the Dominion end of the spectrum rather than the Thunderstone end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bryant
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've played Nightfall, how does it compare to that direct-conflict resource-building game?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Quarriors, but I have played Nightfall. Differences I can see:

1. Quarriors you attack everyone, Nightfall you choose who to send your guys after...
2. ...and this is important because the goal in Nightfall is to take the fewest Wounds, whereas in Quarriors it's the more conventional "Get the most points" goal.
3. Quarriors has dice! This is what separates it from all the other deck-building games, because in all the other ones, the cards you build your deck with have one or two distinct abilities. In Quarriors the dice you build your deck with have up to six different abilities, per "card".

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mueller
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fograsher wrote:
Since thy are teaching only one pre setup scenario, I am interested to see how long setup takes

Setup is similar to other deck building games. I think it's shorter than Thunderstone to set-up and take down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miyu wrote:

Overall I would put the number of decisions closer to the Dominion end of the spectrum rather than the Thunderstone end.

Thanks! That's useful

In your book, which game has more decisions, Thunderstone or Dominion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konata
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quizoid wrote:
miyu wrote:

Thanks! That's useful

In your book, which game has more decisions, Thunderstone or Dominion?

I think most people would agree that Thunderstone has more decisions overall - the game is longer and there are many more moving parts than in Dominion, so it's kind of hard NOT to have more decisions just by its design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Konata wrote:
I think most people would agree that Thunderstone has more decisions overall

I doubt it. I thought he meant the game has more decisions, like Dominion, rather than fewer decisions, like Thunderstone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Which game has more decisions?
Dominion
Thunderstone
About the same
Not well defined
      64 answers
Poll created by DaviddesJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Salinas
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Man Vs Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
As most of you know, I reviewed the game and thought it was going to be the MUST HAVE game of 2011. My convictions aren't alone though, I introduced the game to Tom Vasel on Friday night in the Board Game Room and he echoes my thoughts. This is by far the most exciting release at Origins and one of the best games of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakkenstrike wrote:
As most of you know, I reviewed the game and thought it was going to be the MUST HAVE game of 2011. My convictions aren't alone though, I introduced the game to Tom Vasel on Friday night in the Board Game Room and he echoes my thoughts. This is by far the most exciting release at Origins and one of the best games of the year.

Yeah, I loved your review, and it made me excited about the game. You said that everyone liked it, it had high production values, and that it had simple rules.

What keeps me playing a game is interesting decisions, and I was wondering what this game was like on the strategic end. What choices does the game present?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konata
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Konata wrote:
I think most people would agree that Thunderstone has more decisions overall

I doubt it. I thought he meant the game has more decisions, like Dominion, rather than fewer decisions, like Thunderstone.

I mean, quantity doesn't necessarily mean quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt McCallum
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Quarriors twice tonight and I loved it. It is an instant buy for me. The dice do not feel tacked on or fiddly. Play is very smooth and fast. The dice are beautiful. I really enjoy Dominion, Thunderstone, and Ascension and I think Quarriors stands on its own. This game is going to be a hit. My only complaints are cosmetic. I don't like the tin box packaging or the cheesy comic book style art and "Q" words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to dissent, but I didn't play the game for very long. The dice rolling merely seemed to be more random and luck-based than playing out a hand of cards, and I felt that the process of keeping certain dice in the bag, carefully picking out a hand-size-worth, rolling, etc wasn't less fiddly than shuffling a deck. I'd rather play Dominion. I really -wanted- to like it, though, as it's a cool idea. I may demo it again at GenCon to see if I am wrong, but I don't think I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it twice at Origins and it is a must buy for me. It is a nice light dice game. Like Dominion the main decision is what die to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Steindam
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Speaking as someone who hates Thunderstone and Ascension, this game excited me a lot. It's the first "deck"-builder since Dominion to really offer a new variety of cards every game that you can plan a strategy around.
It's more random, of course. When you draw a card in Dominion, you know exactly what it will be. (You still have to worry about what you draw it with, though.) When you draw a die in Quarriors, you still have to roll it to see if you get the powerful result you're hoping for. And unlike Dominion, some of the dice do let you make directed attacks. However, the general mechanic for working with monsters is undirected, so it's difficult to just pile on the leader. (That's Nightfall's flaw. You can try to find cards that work together in that game, but the best strategy is to keep a low profile and convince everyone to attack another player.)
Obviously, Quarriors doesn't succeed at "being Dominion". But it uses Dominion as inspiration to succeed at being something else. In my opinion, it's the first game to accomplish that.

Potential flaws: Some of the little numbers on the dice are hard to read. If your eyesight is bad, pass on this one. Also, because dice of one color can be one of three different creatures, their meaning will change from game to game. I can see people making strategic mistakes because the die for their Scavenging Goblin looks the same as the Mighty Scavenging Goblin they had in the last game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jeffries
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the Quarriors demo. Great guys teaching this game.

Best quote: (me) "So I draw 7 dice and roll them?" (demo guy with Dr. Seuss hat) "Sure, if you want to CHEAT!!"

The game seems to play much faster than Dominion. I think our demo game with 3 people was 15min (plus 15min of rules explanation).

Only 5 dice of each type (Dominion is 10 cards per type).

The interesting mechanic is the resource (forget the name) used to buy dice and power them. You need have enough of this resource when you roll a monster (or spell) to summon the monster (or cast the spell).

The main complaint I had learning this game is that there is one card for the 5 dice. So, every time one rolls dice, he has to reference several cards in the middle of the table (which may be upside down). But, I suppose that after a few plays this will not be a problem and the game will move very quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
madchow wrote:
The main complaint I had learning this game is that there is one card for the 5 dice. So, every time one rolls dice, he has to reference several cards in the middle of the table (which may be upside down). But, I suppose that after a few plays this will not be a problem and the game will move very quickly.

I've been worried about that myself. With 4 players, everyone is going to be constantly looking at the cards in the center trying to figure out what they can do. Sounds like this game desperately needs a ref card with the full rules for each card. One idea is little mini cards that each player can keep near them with the rules.

Of course this is the same issue with playing Dominion when you are buying cards. But you need to refer to these cards during rolling, fighting, & buying so having something right in front of you would be extremely handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there's no hand of cards to conceal from one another, players could solve the problem by sitting on the same side of the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madchow wrote:

We also deal with this in any board game that has text on the board (like Arkham Horror). I find it irritating in those games too, but doable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Selander
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to play 1 extended game of this at Origins with some of the Dice Tower crew. Reactions were mostly very positive and everyone seemed eager to play as much as it was available. I won't give away Tom's opinion exactly, but he liked it a lot, as Jeremy stated. Myself, I have been thinking a lot about the game ever since, and can't wait to get it.
I don't mind shuffling cards in Dominion, but I play with people who are horrible, slow shufflers. Quarriors replaces this problem with a very fun mechanism--rolling dice. Rolling the 6 dice out of the bag is not necessarily more exciting than drawing cards, but you often find yourself focusing on rolls of 1 or 2 key dice that will make or break your turn, and that's exciting. There were lots of climactic moments as everyone watches one player reroll their dragon, for example, needing a certain result to give enough extra attack strength to eliminate an opponent's big score. Come to think of it, other players often are actually engaged as you simply draw dice from the bag, anticipating certain dice they know you have. That's something this game gets right much better than Dominion. This doesn't feel like multi-player solitaire. Everyone is engaged on other players' turns.
Incidentally, I hated the name as well, and the theme is corny. But now that I've learned that people who quarry rock are called "quarriers," the name feels a lot more grounded (no pun intended), so I don't mind it.
About the dice, they are a little small, but they look pretty cool. I wish they would release a deluxe version with larger dice with sharper etching, but I'm sure that will never happen. There is so much room for expansions in dice as well as cards, and the dice all need to be the same size, of course.
Definitely a must-buy for me. And I don't buy a lot these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Allie
United States
Bolivar
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I Was Geeky When Geeky Wasn't Cool
mbmbmbmbmb
I played one game at Origins with my two kids and an adult friend. All four of us loved the game, and I was ready to buy a copy then and there. I wrote a brief recap of my experience at my blog:

http://thelearningdm.com/2011/06/28/game-night-blog-carnival...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.