Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Garcia
Spain
San Antonio de Benageber
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I know that Bios Megafauna has undergone major rules changes so the question is, are the two of them different enough to get both of them or should I stay with Bios alone??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"Laser-focused, with a half thought-out plan, this is what a hero looks like." -Narrator in the 2018 Peter Rabbit movie.
mbmbmbmbmb
They definitely have a different feel, though they share many mechanics. Bios is quicker, which most gamers will probably want, to be honest. If you like longer games, you may want to pick up American Megafauna 2nd Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I now believe Bios: Megafauna went a couple of rule changes too far It plays faster and probably better than the original AMF, I'd agree, but to my mind it lost a bit too much of the old feel.

So, as a sort of answer, I would say that, yes, they are different games, but whether you want both of them depends on whether you think both are as good as one another...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steffan's comment is based on a playtest I did with him at the mid-point of the Bios redevelopment. Since then Phil has continued to substantially revise the game. I'd say that they are two different games with similar inspiration. The thematic feel of the games is very similar, the game play feel is quite different.

I haven't playtested the most recent iterations, and enough changed from earlier playtest versions that I don't feel qualified to comment on what it is like in practice. I do think the new version will be more accessible. Beyond that, it is coming out in four months and we'll all be able to give you better insight then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Eklund
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bios is not third edition megafauna.

Bios is more like megafauna lite, which I suspect will have broader appeal and be much easier to get to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.