Subject: Help me make my gameboard easier to read! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Lee
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of my game consists of this chart:

the players take turns putting chips on boxes in the chart. A chip has "allegiance" to two letters. In the picture, there's a chip in the AC box, this counts as both an A chip and a C chip.

The way I designed it, it's easy to see how many "A chips" there are, you just look down the column (thin red line).

But to see how many "D chips" there are (thin green line) is less easy.

It's very important for the game that players can see at a glance how many chips each letter has, and which letters have more chips. So if this chart could be improved, that would help the game.

Can you think of a better way to design this game component so that a player can count every letter's chips easily at a glance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure there's an easier way to organize the chart, but you could at least move the letters from the top to the bottom to more easily align the columns with their letters visually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand correctly...

Instead of using a cross reference grid, just use multiple chips to tally the totals on your chart. Add them or take them away as play continues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Or

Depending on "theme" and taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Zumwalt
United States
California
flag msg tools
I like Danzer's suggestion. You could also color the A squares green, the B squares blue, etc. That might make it easier to count things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought about coloring, too. But they overlap, so you`d find not a single square matching the colour of another ...

Well, how about this: ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, Mazout, did you find it helpful in any way? Or did you come up with something else? Would be nice to get some feedback ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.