Doctor Who: Solitaire Story Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Doctor Who: Solitaire Story Game for Dummies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Squires
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm a huge fan of The Doctor, and I really think I could enjoy this once I got the hang of things, but as it stands, I've just tried my first adventure and felt completely lost right from the get go.

I was able to get as far as creating my Doctor, rolling to determine my adventure, and then... I had no idea what to do. The adventure entries all have 6 categories -- do I roll them all at once? And if so/not, what then?

My apologies for the noobish nature of my question. This is my first time trying this sort of game and I feel completely stumped. If anyone could maybe direct me to a step-by-step sample adventure just so I can see how it's done, that would be outstanding.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr
Poland
flag msg tools
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/52175/example-of-play here you've got an example of play, nicely written and very helpful.

To start, you may check the files section and find some help sheets (sheet with actions listed is very helpful, I printed it and wrote some more information on it and I don't think I'll be playing without it - http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/63122/action-reference-she..., there are some more good files here so try to find them and check whether you find them helpful or not).

Generally, when you've chosen the adventure, each turn consists of action and encounter. First you perform an action (Explore, Investigate etc.) - check the sheet I recommended - in most cases you roll 2 dice adding bonuses from listed traits and check the outcome. Later when you acquire some Allies or Companions you may split your group and have different groups performing different (or the same) actions in one turn.
After an action you roll on an Encounter Matrix (for each group of characters, just like Actions) - roll 2d6, and if high enough (eg. 7 or more in turns 1-4) roll 1d6 and check what happens - you can have an Event, Character, Location etc - then you roll on appropriate line in an Adventure (one of 6 categories you mentioned).

I think that Example of Play is a good way to get started, plus some helpful items to download here on the Geek and I think you'll be ready to do some adventuring very soon. Hope I didn't make this even less clear

Oh, and many people post great session reports here on the Geek - reading about other player's adventures can be of great help when one wants to understand the game, as adventures tend to vary greatly and you may need a better perspective than after reading only an example of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for a great reply Piotr - very helpful and I couldn't have put it better.!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No question is stupid. We all learn through questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.