Popular Tags: [View All]
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I came up with for The Borg. I suppose at some point specific Borg characters like the Borg Queen or Locutus/Picard could be added, or each character could have a different effect if fully assimilated. I'm not sure if the means of distributing the Assimilation Tokens is going to get enough of them out there to make it interesting, but with all hits from the Borg Ship causing someone to get 1 or 2, hopefully that will work well.

Use a dark grey cube for the ship mini, eh?

The Borg Ship Clix details:

Assimilation Token:

Assimilation Rules:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
I like your additions!

Hopefully, WizKids takes note of ideas such as yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea, but I think the penalties are too harsh. You should scale the penalties much slower.

I believe you haven't played the game yet (from your other posts), however, I think once you play you will be able to adjust the penalties more appropriately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MajorOracle wrote:
I like the idea, but I think the penalties are too harsh. You should scale the penalties much slower.

I believe you haven't played the game yet (from your other posts), however, I think once you play you will be able to adjust the penalties more appropriately.

No doubt actually playing the game will help with making variants for it. Unfortunately, that probably won't happen until August, so I have to go with what I know for now. But it seems to me that the speed of the scaling of the penalties will depend on the speed of acquiring the Assimilation Tokens. And as it is, based on what I know of the game, I'm not sure enough of them will be given to players to make them that much of a threat. How often does the Klingon ship typically hit the Enterprise in a game? It would seem like a player having 5 or 7 tokens would be pretty rare, especially when there is a means to get rid of them. So if anything, I may need to add another means of players getting the Assimilation Tokens. Ideally, there would at least be a threat of someone being fully assimilated in each game, and some damage from the Borg to each player here and there.

Regardless, this variant and the Q Cards are meant to add difficulty. From the reports I've read so far, a lot of people seem to think it's pretty easy on anything but the hardest level. I'd like to add some difficulty to allow playing with the lower difficulty levels, where the stardates won't advance as quickly (you can have a longer game if you like) but where it will still be difficult to win or to score well because of the added challenges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
MajorOracle wrote:

No doubt actually playing the game will help with making variants for it. Unfortunately, that probably won't happen until August, so I have to go with what I know for now. But it seems to me that the speed of the scaling of the penalties will depend on the speed of acquiring the Assimilation Tokens. And as it is, based on what I know of the game, I'm not sure enough of them will be given to players to make them that much of a threat. How often does the Klingon ship typically hit the Enterprise in a game? It would seem like a player having 5 or 7 tokens would be pretty rare, especially when there is a means to get rid of them. So if anything, I may need to add another means of players getting the Assimilation Tokens. Ideally, there would at least be a threat of someone being fully assimilated in each game, and some damage from the Borg to each player here and there.

Regardless, this variant and the Q Cards are meant to add difficulty. From the reports I've read so far, a lot of people seem to think it's pretty easy on anything but the hardest level. I'd like to add some difficulty to allow playing with the lower difficulty levels, where the stardates won't advance as quickly (you can have a longer game if you like) but where it will still be difficult to win or to score well because of the added challenges.

Unless someone creates all new missions, I'm assuming you are suggesting replacing the Klingons with the Borg, for now. My opinion is that if you did that, it would be hard pressed to win going up against the Borg ship plus the assimilation tokenson the hardest level, which makes sense, because a Borg ship is a much rougher opponent than a Klingon one. On the two lower levels of difficulty, I think it would be a fair challenge. As I've had no problem beating the game on the lower levels and mostly on the higher levels, I might try your variant for some...variety. Good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think it would be neat to somehow either transfer the assimilation tokens to the crew cards or have them assimilated on their own. Watching your crew turning to Borg would be kewl!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirk Agathon wrote:
I also think it would be neat to somehow either transfer the assimilation tokens to the crew cards or have them assimilated on their own. Watching your crew turning to Borg would be kewl!

I really like this idea. I think having the crew slowly assimilated might be a better penalty than losing clix for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MajorOracle wrote:
Kirk Agathon wrote:

I really like this idea. I think having the crew slowly assimilated might be a better penalty than losing clix for yourself.

I like the idea of also assimilating crew, but I don't think that's better than the main characters being assimilated. Picard's assimilation is one of the main TNG stories, and I really like the players needing to deal with each other's assimilations. It adds another good crisis to have to work out cooperatively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, how about this. For every hit you get an assimilation token.
Assimilation tokens are spread evenly among your main character card and your crew. Once you or your crewmember gets 3 tokens, they are assimilated. If they are crew, their bonus value now counts negative towards helping resolve challenges.

You can then spend a sickbay event to remove tokens from crew based on a die roll, as well as your mechanic of removing assimilation from the main characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just don't like that as much as the gradual assimilation, with building negative effects along the way, and I prefer the focus to be on the main characters (as with Picard being assimilated in the series). Anyway... We'll agree to disagree for now, I suppose, until anything actually gets playtested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
I just don't like that as much as the gradual assimilation, with building negative effects along the way, and I prefer the focus to be on the main characters (as with Picard being assimilated in the series). Anyway... We'll agree to disagree for now, I suppose, until anything actually gets playtested.

It wasn't really gradual on the show, he was just captured and assimilated. I guess I would allow the player to choose when they receive an assimilation token where they want to put it, their character or on a crew member. I like the negative points going against the mission attempts. That kinda represents the crew turning throughout the ship, which did happen on the shows and the movie. The main characters can still be assimilated with this option, too. You could also roll a die, on a 1-3 the character gets the token, 4-6, the crew member gets it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:

I know its your variant, and I like a lot of things about it.

I was just brainstorming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirk Agathon wrote:
Grudunza wrote:

It wasn't really gradual on the show, he was just captured and assimilated. I guess I would allow the player to choose when they receive an assimilation token where they want to put it, their character or on a crew member. I like the negative points going against the mission attempts. That kinda represents the crew turning throughout the ship, which did happen on the shows and the movie. The main characters can still be assimilated with this option, too. You could also roll a die, on a 1-3 the character gets the token, 4-6, the crew member gets it.

Okay, yeah you're right (and Ted)... it wasn't gradual. I was thinking of something completely different. (It's been years since I've seen the Borg episodes of TNG.) In that case, I'm not sure the Assimilation Tokens make sense at all, really. Anyway, I'll play around with what you guys have suggested and see if I can make it all work better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
Kirk Agathon wrote:
Grudunza wrote:

Okay, yeah you're right (and Ted)... it wasn't gradual. I was thinking of something completely different. (It's been years since I've seen the Borg episodes of TNG.) In that case, I'm not sure the Assimilation Tokens make sense at all, really. Anyway, I'll play around with what you guys have suggested and see if I can make it all work better.

Make no mistake, what you've done is awesome! The quality of the work plus the creative mechanics are really quite impressive (without even playing, no less)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you may be remembering Star Trek: First Contact where the Enterprise was assimilated. It was gradual and was occurring during the entire film. I would say that the Enterprise could be gradually assimilated, but going up against that Borg ship will be pretty tough as it is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirk Agathon wrote:
Also, you may be remembering Star Trek: First Contact where the Enterprise was assimilated. It was gradual and was occurring during the entire film. I would say that the Enterprise could be gradually assimilated, but going up against that Borg ship will be pretty tough as it is!

That must be it. I've seen that film a few times (the best of all the ST films, IMO) and more recently than the Borg episodes of TNG. Well, if this ends up being based more on the film, that's fine, too. Stay tuned for an update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, here's another stab at it. It's perhaps a little more fiddly and involved than I'd like it to be, with the three different types of Assimilation to keep track of (Enterprise, Crew, Character), but I suppose you could scale it or limit it to taste (e.g. just use the Enterprise assimilation). Anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it. It's not really that complicated, especially for a mission centered around the Borg. I think the enterprise will have to be amped up or have some stronger discovery tokens and energize cards to handle the borg threat. Love your work, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirk Agathon wrote:
I like it. It's not really that complicated, especially for a mission centered around the Borg.

I think individually they're probably fine, and it's not a matter of complexity so much as the potential fiddliness of remembering to check for all of the assimilation effects when the Enterprise is hit and to keep up with the assimilation upkeep each turn. With all 3 of these in play I think that might be too much, but 1 or 2 is probably okay.

Quote:
I think the enterprise will have to be amped up or have some stronger discovery tokens and energize cards to handle the borg threat. Love your work, though.

Well, I did add Allies to help out a bit, but by and large, this variant is meant to add difficulty, as a lot of people have been suggesting the game can seem too easy to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.