2 Posts

Axis & Allies Europe 1940» Forums » General

Subject: What number of players is Ideal? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Iron Fist
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any time you have more then two players playing an Axis and Allies game you are going to have some down time. What do you guys feel is the best number of players to play a Global game with?
Personally I think that if you are playing with experienced, or very experienced players, two players can play this game just fine as long as they are thinking ahead on which nation is going to be buying what (this of course means that the players must have an overall strategy already in mind), but I am thinking that if three people were playing, 1 playing the Axis and 2 playing the Allies, it would be good also and 4 players, 2 playing each side might be just about perfect.
With 4 players each person would be able to stay active enough in the game so that their individual down time doesn't become boring and tedious, and yet they would also have enough time to see how events are unfolding around the board so that they could strategies a bit more when it comes to making their purchases because they would be purchases based more on what is going on in the game as opposed to some overall grand strategy they had in their mind before the game began.

What do you guys feel is the perfect number of players to have for a Global game? Does the number change if you have some players who are less experienced?
I am really surprised that this is the first time anyone has posted this question in the forums.
So I figured I would ask and see what everyone thought was the perfect number of players for Global.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Muse

Atlanta
Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmb
I think that a 2v2 game is ideal. I am in an Axis and Allies group that meets regularly for Global games and we have had sessions with as many as 7 people and as few as 4. While it is always fun to play with more people, I think that the dynamics of the 1940 Global game work better with fewer people. Here's why:

1) Global is a LONG game, and the more people that are playing, the longer the turn cycle. Having less people tends to allow the game to proceed quicker and increases the likelihood that the game can be finished.

2) I have found that the game is generally won based on the continuity of the the powers overall strategy (especially the Axis in Europe). I think that less people leads to a deeper strategy gaming.

3) My gaming group generally breaks the players down into 4 countries
* Axis Europe - Germany, Italy
* Allied Europe - UK, France, Russia
* Axis Pacific - Japan
* Allied Pacific - China, Anzac, United States

Breaking it down this way gives each player total control of their power's theater.

4) Less wait time in between turns - With our group, each full turn can last up ward of 1 1/2 hours. Giving 4 people control of all of the countries helps reduce wait time in between turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.