Rails of New England» Forums » Rules

Subject: Events step clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
We played our first game today, and really enjoyed it although we inevitably hit a couple of points in the rules where we had a little debate.

One important issue was concerning Events.

The basic handling, I'm sure we got right. Also the difference between Events & Required Events.

The sticking point was what precisely we do if we roll for an event (or Required Event) and the roll is negative - clearly the event doesn't happen, but does the card get left in the event queue or does it get discarded?

Our initial instinct was that the card would be discarded - and a new (possible) event would be added to the queue. But we became unsure when considering what would be the effect on game play if the "Start 1" economic condition (Required Event 1-4) rolled a 5 so the first Required Event would be "resolved" without triggering the event - which would mean that we'd never be able to take out loans in the game!

We therefore concluded that failed event rolls left the event card queue unchanged, and the next time we rolled for an event we would be having another attempt at triggering the event that failed.

The game works, but we're unsure whether or not we played this right. Any answers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Hunt
United States
Bellingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SteveK2 wrote:
We played our first game today, and really enjoyed it although we inevitably hit a couple of points in the rules where we had a little debate.

The basic handling, I'm sure we got right. Also the difference between Events & Required Events.

The sticking point was what precisely we do if we roll for an event (or Required Event) and the roll is negative - clearly the event doesn't happen, but does the card get left in the event queue or does it get discarded?

It's left there. Events remain in the queue until triggered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
SteveK2 wrote:

How can you get a negative result in a die roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
SteveK2 wrote:

How can you get a negative result in a die roll?

I think they meant "negative" in the sense of indicating an event does not occur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Longtime Gamer
United States
Bellows Falls
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hotc wrote:
SteveK2 wrote:

It's left there. Events remain in the queue until triggered.

It has been our interpretation that only Required Events hang around until triggered and other Events are discarded if the roll failed. We will keep to that as the thought that, for example, a Forest Fire is going to hit the White Mountains regardless as soon as someone has the dumb luck to roll the die range. We consider such a thing as being foolish and too gammy. Are disasters meant to be that certain? Besides, there are more than enough Events than will be used in any one game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Longtime Gamer
United States
Bellows Falls
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I post this only because there has been a resurgence of this game at my LFGS and we have played three five-player, and one 4 player, games in the last month. However, in answer to Events, a Required Event applies only to Events 1,2,3 & 5. When an economic card calls for a Required Event, and one of those 4 cards are in the left-most position, then it is activated without a die roll. Once all these four Required Events are gone, then you roll for any other possible event (if listed). If that roll fails, that event stays in play until it is activated on a future turn. If a card states that a Required Event and a random Event (a die roll spread is shown), then, if any Required Event has still been inactivated, activate the Required Event, then roll for the random one. Once all Required Events are done, ignore any more Required Event listed on subsequent Economy cards.

That is how we interpreted the second edition of the rules. I leave it to Walter to correct me, if I am wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.