Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
36 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dominion: Walled Village Promo Card» Forums » General

Subject: NOT available rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Availability of this promo was the biggest disappointment of the con. Only available at one crusty old lady's retail booth. And she's only giving it out with a $10 purchase...only NOTHING at her booth is $10 and EVERYTHING is full retail!

I talked to two people at the booth at different times, and they were both very surly. I would imagine they got lots of disgusted reactions to their business practices and general attitude. No idea why Jay would work with such a poor retailer.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is usually a reward of sorts for a retailer who carries Rio Grande games at a con. Rio Grande doesn't generally have a booth in the Exhibit Hall. Since I am not at Origins, I can't comment on anything else.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how giving out a promo with a purchase, and not just to everyone who asks for one, is somehow seen as a business practice that everyone should be disgusted about. And if you were representative of the people showing up at the booth, I'd probably be surly too.

Essentially, you wanted something for nothing, and the retailer didn't really see the benefit in that to her.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottB wrote:
I don't see how giving out a promo with a purchase, and not just to everyone who asks for one, is somehow seen as a business practice that everyone should be disgusted about. And if you were representative of the people showing up at the booth, I'd probably be surly too.

Essentially, you wanted something for nothing, and the retailer didn't really see the benefit in that to her.

I think that argument would be more valid if this was at a local store instead of a con that already has a big cover charge. What benefit does she get? More people coming to her stall.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
ScottB wrote:
I don't see how giving out a promo with a purchase, and not just to everyone who asks for one, is somehow seen as a business practice that everyone should be disgusted about. And if you were representative of the people showing up at the booth, I'd probably be surly too.

Essentially, you wanted something for nothing, and the retailer didn't really see the benefit in that to her.

I think that argument would be more valid if this was at a local store instead of a con that already has a big cover charge. What benefit does she get? More people coming to her stall.


Absolutely! I paid $85 for the right to get looked on with disdain and pay full retail? Get real!

Also, I'm not asking her for something for nothing, I'm asking Rio for a loyalty reward (which, BTW, AEG handed out for FREE and generously). She just happened to be the middleman...a middleman I would advise Jay to not employ again. Many middlemen are great, this one was not.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That is not Depeche but rather
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
johnweldy wrote:
LastFootnote wrote:
ScottB wrote:
I don't see how giving out a promo with a purchase, and not just to everyone who asks for one, is somehow seen as a business practice that everyone should be disgusted about. And if you were representative of the people showing up at the booth, I'd probably be surly too.

Essentially, you wanted something for nothing, and the retailer didn't really see the benefit in that to her.

I think that argument would be more valid if this was at a local store instead of a con that already has a big cover charge. What benefit does she get? More people coming to her stall.


Absolutely! I paid $85 for the right to get looked on with disdain and pay full retail? Get real!

Also, I'm not asking her for something for nothing, I'm asking Rio for a loyalty reward (which, BTW, AEG handed out for FREE and generously). She just happened to be the middleman...a middleman I would advise Jay to not employ again. Many middlemen are great, this one was not.

Wow, Weldy. Sense of entitlement much? Attending a con does not entitle you to freebies. Past purchasing history does not entitle you to freebies. Is it nice when a company does it? Of course, but they aren't obligated to.

I'd be curious to hear how many other retailers were selling goods for full retail prices as well. Was it just this booth? Or is this the only one you're incensed about because you didn't get your way?

Granted, if she were somehow breaking the rules of distribution as given to her by Jay and RGG, then you might have a valid complaint. Is that the case?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Progmode wrote:
Granted, if she were somehow breaking the rules of distribution as given to her by Jay and RGG, then you might have a valid complaint.


The whole point of the promotional cards is to increase customer happiness. If the promotion is actually making Dominion players less happy, then that is certainly a valid complaint.

The question is really how many people share that complaint.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That is not Depeche but rather
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Progmode wrote:
Granted, if she were somehow breaking the rules of distribution as given to her by Jay and RGG, then you might have a valid complaint.


The whole point of the promotional cards is to increase customer happiness. If the promotion is actually making Dominion players less happy, then that is certainly a valid complaint.

The question is really how many people share that complaint.

I suppose that might be the point. The point might also be to drive sales up, hence giving it away as a bonus when making a purchase. I won't bother speculating what Jay's actual intentions are, but I will say that you cannot claim with any certainty what the whole point of it is.

Admittedly though, any complaint is valid to someone, so you do make a good point.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Progmode wrote:

I'd be curious to hear how many other retailers were selling goods for full retail prices as well.


Very few retailers (maybe 10%) and about half of publishers. It could be debated that this booth was a publisher, but they sold a few non-Rio games, so I'd count them as a retailer, and therefore in the vast minority. The surly attitudes were definitely in the vast minority.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Promo distribution at Origins 11 was a story of the good, the bad & the ugly. This Dominion situation was, by far, the ugly. (Had the people running the booth simply told me the situation without the condescending looks, it would have been merely bad)

The bad: Ascension
They were selling promo cards for $2. Each. $2 for a single card? That's like Magic logic. I understand they have to make it worthwhile to print the cards, but it seems excessive.

The bad: Alien Frontiers
A promo card and set of 4 scorekeeper rockets for $10 or free with purchase of Alien Frontiers at full retail. I acquired AF in the Math Trade, and could not justify $10 for one card and four little plastic rockets. Would have probably bitten for $5, which I'm sure still would give them >50% profit.

The GOOD: AEG
Me (after realizing they were the only booth with it): How much for Martial Law?
Her: $40 (full retail)
Me: (frown)
Her: I have promos! (hands them to me, free of charge)
Me: (smile!)

Me (later that day): OK, let me have a copy of Martial Law
He: Here are some promo cards.
Me: No thanks, I already have them.

Thanks for doing it right, AEG!


18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
I think that argument would be more valid if this was at a local store instead of a con that already has a big cover charge. What benefit does she get? More people coming to her stall.

That's only a benefit if those people are interested in buying something, and aren't just there for the freebie. If they don't want to buy anything, then it's not really a benefit, is it? And if they do want to buy something, then they get the promo! So this seems to be a way of actually getting the promo into the hands of the people who do something that benefits the retailer. Again, forgive me for not seeing how this is somehow deplorable behavior on the part of the retailer.

And as for the cover charge - what does that have to do with anything? She's paying her own fee to be there too.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
The whole point of the promotional cards is to increase customer happiness. If the promotion is actually making Dominion players less happy, then that is certainly a valid complaint.

The question is really how many people share that complaint.


Well, I believe games are to be played, not have all their bits and pieces tracked down.

Really, this is one of the reasons I stopped buying Magic!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree about the horrible attitude of those at the Decision games (Rio Grande) booth.

Already owning so many of Jay's games, I didn't see any that I needed to purchase this time. The people at the booth made it clear that even inquiries about how to get the promos were unwelcome.

I hope the strategy Jay used at Origins works out but as a very regular customer I can tell you that it might not have produced his desired result at least in my case.

Lance
10 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think really that the issue was that she did not seem like a person who should be in customer service. At all. I also felt like her attitude was just plain poor.
I asked her if they had the promo still available and instead of answering she ducked behind the counter to grab a cardboard sign with really tiny writing and held it up that explained that you had to buy $10 worth of stuff to get walled village or $30 worth of stuff to get Stash.
She had a very "duh, how come you didn't know that?" kind of look on her face.
It was just annoying. I much would have preferred to have the option of paying a premium for it, like 5$ or something. As it is I just nabbed another Carcassone expansion I probably didn't need for $18, but I guess that's the point of how you get the promos...

Additionally, $30 for Stash seems like a stupid price point. It's Stash - who cares?
10 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally, some other people who were actually there and realize I'm not just being a whiner. Thanks for chiming in, guys!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkymadigan wrote:
I much would have preferred to have the option of paying a premium for it, like 5$ or something.

Agreed! Why couldn't I just pay a few bucks for what I had built my hopes up to receive? I would have been fine with that. But to be told (in such an unfriendly way) that I could only get it by buying a game I have no interest in, at a ridiculously high price, just turned me off. Of course I'll buy the promo set when it becomes available on BGG, but why couldn't I do the same at Origins?

I will say, however, that Rio Grande does deserve some applause for continuing to donate stacks and stacks of free games for those who purchase a Board Room ribbon. Sure I might have randomly received the one game I'm least interested in, but I got a free game!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
I will say, however, that Rio Grande does deserve some applause for continuing to donate stacks and stacks of free games for those who purchase a Board Room ribbon. Sure I might have randomly received the one game I'm least interested in, but I got a free game!


Agreed. This is one small black mark on Rio, a company with MUCH to cover up black marks. I was much more peeved at this vendor than Rio. Hopefully, enough people were ticked, Jay will catch wind of it and not work with them again.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
johnweldy wrote:
Blott wrote:
I will say, however, that Rio Grande does deserve some applause for continuing to donate stacks and stacks of free games for those who purchase a Board Room ribbon. Sure I might have randomly received the one game I'm least interested in, but I got a free game!


Agreed. This is one small black mark on Rio, a company with MUCH to cover up black marks. I was much more peeved at this vendor than Rio. Hopefully, enough people were ticked, Jay will catch wind of it and not work with them again.

I would think that severing all business ties would be a last resort. Perhaps they could find a less extreme way to resolve the problem.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
johnweldy wrote:
Blott wrote:
I will say, however, that Rio Grande does deserve some applause for continuing to donate stacks and stacks of free games for those who purchase a Board Room ribbon. Sure I might have randomly received the one game I'm least interested in, but I got a free game!


Agreed. This is one small black mark on Rio, a company with MUCH to cover up black marks. I was much more peeved at this vendor than Rio. Hopefully, enough people were ticked, Jay will catch wind of it and not work with them again.

I would think that severing all business ties would be a last resort. Perhaps they could find a less extreme way to resolve the problem.


You're right. That is a rash solution. As long as it is not ignored, I will be happy with Rio. Heck, even if it is ignored, I'll be happy with Rio. This company, however...not so much.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Who was the vendor?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lansing
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Decision has never been particularly good with the Dominion promos. Back when the Envoy promo came out, I had purchased something from them, and they asked if I wanted a promo. I said sure, and they gave me an Envoy.

Not a pack of 10 + a randomizer. One Envoy.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
antherem wrote:
Not a pack of 10 + a randomizer. One Envoy.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, John, sorry that a bunch of people jumped on you for expressing your concerns. I think you can be confident that the people who need to will read this forum and see that at least four people were unimpressed with their experience of getting (or not getting) the promo card at the convention. Personally, when I have a bad experience with people, it makes me less inclined to buy from them, and that would have made for an uncomfortable situation if it meant I couldn't get the promo card, and I'm guessing you didn't go to the convention to feel uncomfortable!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I bought a Carcassonne expansion at that booth and was pleasantly surprised when I got the Dominion Promo along with it. The woman running the booth was nice to me. Of course, I rarely play Dominion anymore and have no interest in the promo, so I will be giving it away to one of my friends who might actually use it.

But I can understand how frustrating it would be if I was trying to get a copy of the promo card, and being told that I had to buy some other item from the booth to get it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Maroon
msg tools
I didn't mind that they were giving away the promo card with a $10 purchase. Seems fine to me, I kinda wanted the alternate Power Grid deck anyway and it was $12.

But those who said the people behind the counter were surly were quite right. They made me move from one counter to another for no particular reason. They had the general "I hate my job and life" look on their faces and were quite gruff. They had no signage to speak of advertising the promo card.

I'd much rather receive it for pre ordering or getting a big box or buying it at a local game store or just about anything, but even if Jay wants to distribute promo cards this way he should do it with a better retailer. These guys have some deal to represent Rio Grande at game fairs and they do a poor job of it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.