Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
A very interesting idea.

I have become more and more enamored with co-op games lately. The soon arrival of our first kiddo is a big factor in that. I want to play games as a family. In going through the shelves, co-op Carcassonne was one that occurred to me, too.

My plan was that the "team" score would be the lowest of the individual scores. That way, players want to actively help each other complete features.

(However, that scoring might not work as well for Scrabble, where a significantly poorer speller might feel like they are holding the others back. Just have to be aware of sensitivities.)

As for trick-taking games, that would be tougher, but an interesting challenge. I very much prefer partnerships in such games (e.g., Spades or Tin Soldiers) for the sense of teamwork. Fully cooperative would be trickier.

One last side note, Onirim is card game for either solo or 2-player co-op. It is not trick-taking, but is a rather clever game of playing cards in helpful sequences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wallace
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6th Circle Nethermancer in Service of the Queen!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Onirim for co-op and kinda feeling a bit like you might want.... a great game solo as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pelikan
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, hidden information in co-op games always feels strange. In Pandemic it's still ok: I can tell you what cards I have, just I may not lay them face up on the table. So if you want to make decisions based on my hand, you'll have to talk to me. In SoC, too liberal speech is suppressed by a potential traitor's scorn hanging in the air. But in Witch of Salem it's really hard to play by the rules and keep it secret whether you've seen a gate you can't close or a brick wall. Among all of us, we've seen all face down tiles. From my point of view we could go and kill the old fart, but hey, I must not tell you. Should I really go and look at all the other face down tiles while hell breaks loose?

It may not be an issue, but you should certainly pay attention whether the players feel an urge to talk about their cattle herds and Neil Diamond songs while playing. If so, a traitor might be a solution (e.g. king of trumps, but not all cards get dealt).

BTW the target sounds appealing (co-op trick-taking game). Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
2097 wrote:
it’s really easy for anyone who wants to see who’s ‘really’ the best to see that, turning it into a competition after all.

You could toy with scoring the difference between high and low, where a smaller difference is better. In other words, the goal is to stick together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Gallardo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

For ideas about a co-op trick taking game, consider David Parlett's Collusion:

http://www.davidparlett.co.uk/oricards/collude.html

The object is "To win exactly the same number of tricks as one other player (but not two others, for reasons that will become apparent)." Players are free to negotiate with each other throughout the entire game. However, it is not a fully co-operative game (everyone is playing for himself or herself), which gives players a disincentive not to reveal the contents of their hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.