Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Roy
United Kingdom
Bath
GB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently, Z-man has been bought by Filosofia.

Wow.

http://www.trictrac.net/index.php3?id=jeux&rub=actualite&inf...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy crap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Simpson
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know too much about Filosofia. Hope this doesn't change things too much, I love Z-Man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!

According to the article, nothing will change at first and Z will still be in charge of Z-man games. They make the comment that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. There wasn't much else in the article except speculations and hopes that more Z-Man games will get translated into French.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
kerskine wrote:
...nothing will change at first...

I'm sure it won't.

At first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeRockEHF wrote:
Don't know too much about Filosofia. Hope this doesn't change things too much, I love Z-Man!
Filosofia is the biggest Canadian game publisher.
They've been partners with Z-Man (each translating games from the other) for years now.
I'd say it's a good match.

I'm just curious as to why Zev would want to sell. Business seemed pretty good. Maybe too good? Zev is alone in his outfit, whereas Filosofia has an actual production team. Maybe it became too much work for one guy and he didn't want to run a company with actual employees.

I'm sure we'll know more shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a lot of Z-Man games at very good prices lately. Maybe Zev is working on paring down the inventory to get ready for this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Off Topic:
Hi Francis..any more new game design coming out ?
I did like very much Proteus (few plays years ago).....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice to have an independant and/or official confirmation of that news, and also to have the reaction and explanation from Zev and/or Sophie from Filosofia...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Itai wrote:
It would be nice to have an independant and/or official confirmation of that news, and also to have the reaction and explanation from Zev and/or Sophie from Filosofia...

Zev (and I and about 90% of the hobby game industry, of course) were at Origins this week. Last evening at dinner, I informed him about this thread, but as he didn't have computer access, he could not reply.

Zev indicated to me that he would reply upon his return.

[Don't worry, gang. All is fine.]

Thanks,
Stephen Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC
www.strongholdgames.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nello wrote:
Off Topic:
Hi Francis..any more new game design coming out ?
I did like very much Proteus (few plays years ago).....
Hi Nello!

Why, thanks a lot!
I didn't expect to read that here.

I have a few more designs in the works. The one that's finished, Destruction Derby, I have been shopping around for a year or so. Seems nobody wants to get their hands dirty. Most of the publishers who've seen it tell me it's a lot of fun but that collision resolution LOOKS too complicated. (They're not saying it IS, just that it seems that way at first look.) And they're afraid it's going to scare people away.

At my end, everyone who's tried it had lots of fun and no rules problem at all. So I guess I just need to be patient and wait for the right publisher to cross my path...

But thanks a lot for your interest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron F.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a thread over in the general forum with slightly more information:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/668107/filosofia-buys-up-z-m...

Zev intends to post to the forums once he gets back from Origins, and has already posted something about the buyout to the z-man yahoo group.

Even though Zev is staying employed by them, I doubt that Zev wanted this to happen. My guess is that investments were paying off slower than expected, and this was a forced move. I really hope that very little changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jvdv wrote:
uigrad wrote:
There's a thread over in the general forum with slightly more information:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/668107/filosofia-buys-up-z-m...

Zev intends to post to the forums once he gets back from Origins, and has already posted something about the buyout to the z-man yahoo group.

Even though Zev is staying employed by them, I doubt that Zev wanted this to happen. My guess is that investments were paying off slower than expected, and this was a forced move. I really hope that very little changes.

He's posted, on page 3 halfway down or a bit further.

Re: Filosofia buys up Z-Man Games?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
evilone wrote:
Zev indicated to me that he would reply upon his return.
sadly he didn't post here (in the z-man publisher forums) but over at....

Re: Filosofia buys up Z-Man Games?!
(edit: this is same link Lee has in the post above this one, didn't notice)

or included here:

Zman wrote:
So the news came out!

Since I'm just back from Origins, I apologize if I don't answer every question or give every detail required. First, let me quell some negative rumors that I kind of figured would be percolated.

1) 2011 was probably going to turn out to be my best year. I was not in danger of failing at all. My post about too many games was a question I was curious about, but I pretty much had the answer before I posted it, and the answer was that my games appeal to so many types of gamers that it was not too many games. I just was going to make sure that 15 games don't show up all in the same month!

1a) In relation to the above: I did not seek to sell the company. But I have always joked that I was for sale if someone came with the right deal: Filosofia did.

2) I tanga'd some stuff for marketing purposes and to move older product. I'm sure you can figure out which is which. I did not need to do it, but wanted to - and earned some nice coin from it. I was doing this before the sale was even contemplated.

3) If there were no news about this deal the change would be practically invisible: that's how things are not changing. What is at the printer is coming out: Walking Dead, Guards, Guards, Undermining, Ninjato, Dark Minions, Wasabi reprint, Neuroshima Hex reprint, etc.
What other games I mentioned in my newsletter will be considered for this and next year.

The positives:
1) Filosofia will handle lots of the business end of things and I will be staying on to concentrate on finding the cool games. That and going to conventions. So you'll still be seeing me at shows and you will still be seeing cool games coming out.

2) Because now I have a strong support team working with me, more things will get done like more marketing materials, better flow of product, etc.

3) Things will be status quo with the company. The logo will be used, the philosophy of printing cool games will be held, communication with customers and fans will continue to be strong, customer service will still be top notch - I think everything you guys have come to like about Z-Man will still be there and I feel it will just get better.

So basically, it is a deal that came to me, that I liked, that will create a near-invisible change for the better. And I'll be with the company driving it to greater success. What more could be asked for?

Thanks to everyone for your support over the years.

Zev Shlasinger, Consultant
Z-Man Games, Inc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oppss...the Filosofia website is not in English....

http://www.filosofiagames.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Trimby
England
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if this means that new Pocket Battles editions are released more regularly I'm all for it.

I'm convinced that game could be huge, but we need more sets!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls