Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Glen More» Forums » General

Subject: Does component quality vary across different publishers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Meeple Me
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been several comments made about the quality of card stock used to produce Glen More. I recently saw an English Ravensburger at my local game store in Ontario, Canada. I was hesitant to purchase because I am a sucker for high quality bits. On the other hand, the price of the Ravensburger release was certainly attractive (26 CAD). I read that a Rio Grande reprint was due any time now.
Q1: Assuming I will have access to both releases, does anyone suggest the game produced by one publisher over the other from a component quality perspective?
Q2: Should I expect the retail cost of a Rio Grande release be any different?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
...
badge
...
Avatar
Having played the German edition many times, and the Rio Grande edition once or twice I'm pretty sure they're identical apart from language changes.

I don't know about Canada, but UK prices of Rio Grande versions are generally more expensive than German editions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cyakobch wrote:
There have been several comments made about the quality of card stock used to produce Glen More. I recently saw an English Ravensburger at my local game store in Ontario, Canada. I was hesitant to purchase because I am a sucker for high quality bits. On the other hand, the price of the Ravensburger release was certainly attractive (26 CAD). I read that a Rio Grande reprint was due any time now.
Q1: Assuming I will have access to both releases, does anyone suggest the game produced by one publisher over the other from a component quality perspective?
Q2: Should I expect the retail cost of a Rio Grande release be any different?


I'm pretty sure of two things:

1. The games are all made at the same place at the same time, with English components going in some boxes, German in the others.

2. I'm almost certain there isn't a Ravensburger English edition. Most of the RGG Alea games still have "Ravensburger" printed on them somewhere along with their own logo, sometimes more prominently than others.

Q2: Being that side of the pond, I'd have thought an RGG one won't be much more expensive than an Alea one. However, I'd be surprised if you can get it for less than 26CAD, which is an excellent price.

My guess is that 26CAD is a German copy, but the German copy is completely playable (if you're happy with the odd German title of a building).

If you can't find English rules and player aids here on BGG, email me for mine.



N.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Me
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Steve and Nick, for you feedback.

Quote:
I'm almost certain there isn't a Ravensburger English edition. Most of the RGG Alea games still have "Ravensburger" printed on them somewhere along with their own logo, sometimes more prominently than others.

The box I saw did in fact have both Alea and Ravensburger logos printed on the box. I just elected to use one of the two names for simplicity when asking my question (I arbitrarily picked Ravensburger because its logo was more prominent).

Quote:
Having played the German edition many times, and the Rio Grande edition once or twice I'm pretty sure they're identical apart from language changes.

I'm pretty sure the back of the box had a description in English, but I am relatively new to German board games, so perhaps some of the contents/components were still written in German.

If I need some rules/aids in English, I'll let you know. Of course, a trip back to my FLGS to pick up this gem is required first. Cheers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.