8 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » General

Subject: Can this game be played by yourself (solo mode) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
Or do you need another player for putting down the clues within the game?.

I know that the keeper place down clues. if you are playing both sides, you [as the keeper] will know where you place the clues [as the invesigators].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you know where a Clue is, you usually have to find the Clue before it to get the key to be able to get Clue. So knowing Clue 1 is in the Library won't help, you still need to track down all the other Clues first. Clue 3 points you to Clue 2 and gives you the Brass Key, then Clue 2 points you to Clue 1 and gives you the Silver Key (for a short 3-clue scenario). You're unable to jump to Clue 2 or 1 before finding the preceeding ones, so even if you set up the game yourself, you won't help yourself in that sense. Mythos and Trauma cards are a different matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
So basicly the answer is no, you can't play this game by yourself...right?

by setting up the clues starting with clue 3, you'll know where it is that means as you said you cannot go to Clue #2 or #1 without finding the preceeding one (#3) first thereby making the game unplayable without another player...right?

What are the Mythos and Trauma cards and why are they a different matter? you can't use the two cards at the same time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Issac, glad you are interested in this fine game.

The rules are available for free download here. They will answer most of your questions.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/mansions-of-ma...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgamefreak2geek wrote:

by setting up the clues starting with clue 3, you'll know where it is that means as you said you cannot go to Clue #2 or #1 without finding the preceeding one (#3) first thereby making the game unplayable without another player...right?

No, I meant you can, since you still must follow the Clues from the highest number to the smallest. Further, scenario intro text gives tips as to where to find the highest number clue. Knowing where C is doesn't really matter since you still need to go A -> B -> C.

Quote:
What are the Mythos and Trauma cards and why are they a different matter? you can't use the two cards at the same time?

These are key tools for the Keeper to screw the investigators. Many Mythos cards have requirements of a certain room that the investigators might not go into (unless absolutely necessary) if they knew the Keeper had a nasty card waiting for them. But playing the investigators as if they had no knowledge of the Keeper's cards isn't necessarily all that hard IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thornton
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgamefreak2geek wrote:

Mythos cards can only be played during the Investigators' turn, while trauma cards can be played anytime an investigator takes damage or horror.

While the general consensus is that you can not play this game solo as is, some users have adapted the scenarios from card to story form (I think it's in the files section, if not check under variants.)

Additionally, I have been brainstorming automating the investigators, (as was done in a limited fashion by another user for a keeper "training scenario) as they have less choices to make and their path is fairly linear anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Kreiner-Møller
Denmark
København Ø
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/67668/story-1-v3
It's a paragraph system that lets you play solo. That link is for story 1 but there also exist systems for the 4 other stories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just finished my first solo game using the above mentioned link...it was really fun, and I am excited to try a scenario I haven't played before...I would suggest being familiar with the game before attempting to play the solo variant...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.