3 Posts

Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Cards required for two players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does this game require duplicates of any of the base sets or expansions? Please read below first before answering.

I found this at the FFG website description of LCGs:

... ten dollars a month will get a player at least one copy of every card, and thirty dollars a month will provide an entire tournament playset of cards.

This isn't quite as crazy as the cost of trying to "keep up" with MtG, but it's a lot for one game. Even more so if you need 2 x USD 30 per month for two players. The text above reads as though it's intended to mislead ("first hit's free"), and without further information ensures I will never buy any LCG.

I know it's the wrong forum, I'd also be interested to know the cost of the multiplayer LCG (A Game of Thrones). With 4 players, does that work out to USD 120 per month?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PenumbraPenguin
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG initially had monthly packs (Asylum packs, chapter packs, battle packs, depending on which game) which contained 3 copies each of 10 cards and 1 copy each of another 10 cards. If you wanted 3 of each card, you needed to buy 3 of each pack.

They have since changed their model to slightly larger packs which contain 3 copies each of all 20 cards (and have begun reprinting older packs in this format). These are slightly more expensive (eg $15 rather than $10), but you only need one for a complete set.

You also probably don't need to buy a complete set for each player - just use factions that they are not.

For AGOT, the deal is the same, except they printed more chapter packs before changing the distribution (4 cycles have the old distribution, I believe), and they have not announced any plans to reprint the old ones in the new format. (However, presumably they will begin to do so as existing stocks run dry. This is pure speculation on my part.). Again, rather than buying complete sets for every player, just don't use the same cards as one another. There are plenty of decks to be made that don't overlap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're just getting into the game now, you're actually in luck

Most of the older pack are out of print and, at least in the case of CoC and likely in AGoT's case in the near future, reprints of the older packs are being released under the "3 of everything" standard.

FF has never and thus far will never release a core with 3 of every card, however it's only the Unique cards that are singles. Further, especially in AGoT, you really do not want or need 3 of every unique as it's generally counter productive. There are cases where you want a full set for CoC, but there are ways around that as well.

Getting into the game now you'd really only need a core and then purchasing the current expansions will give you a full set at $15 a month; a real bargain IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.