Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Am I going to have to subscribe to cable again!? surprise

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2011/06/14/neil-gaimans-american-go...

They better not screw it up. Then they better make the most awesome Sandman movie, and not screw it up, either. Dave McKean needs to be involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The 480-page story is being pitched as a six-season series, with about 10-12 episodes per season.

6 years to tell the story? That's entirely too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather see an adaptation of Anansi Boys, which I found more entertaining than AG. Then again, having read both books, I probably wouldn't bother with either series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer AG, but truth be told I can't find the time to watch any long-term series. Dr Who and the latest (3 part?) Sherlock Holmes are about as much as I can manage. There are at least a dozen series I'm interested in, but I know I won't keep up to them, so I never start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Time for me to reread American Gods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
They better not screw it up. Then they better make the most awesome Sandman movie, and not screw it up, either. Dave McKean needs to be involved.

AG could be pulled off pretty well I think. Very excited to see HBO doing AG (I really enjoy their series...just wish Carnivale would have gone more than 2 seasons!!!!) and yeah I really enjoyed AG more than AB though it was cool too.

I was pleased with both Coraline and Stardust though the latter had some deviations from the book it was a fun film.

I have always feared a Sandman movie. I was one of those who bought the books monthly from local comic shop. I'd devour the newest edition and have to wait another month for the next installment. Over the course of the month the book would be reread many times. I of course now have the collected volumes for easier revisiting but suffice it to say that the story of Sandman is hugely important to me. I can not conceive the work ever being created in live action format that would do it justice. I sincerely hope it never comes to the light of day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
So true thoia, re: Sandman. I am a johnny-come-lately who only ever did the trades, but I've done them twice, in pretty quick order, and I can't believe for a minute that TV could do it justice.

But they said that about Watchmen, and I'm a fan of the movie, so who knows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:
But they said that about Watchmen, and I'm a fan of the movie, so who knows?

I was never a huge fan of Watchmen but respected the story none the less. The movie I felt did it justice but still wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of it. It just was what it was.

My feelings aside the storyline of Watchmen is about 20% in length and depth of Sandman...there's just too much to go into. Film makers would instantly start thinking on what portions could be trimmed out. What of this story do you leave behind? So many options as the story of his life branches off into many different tangents throughout the story and a lot of it truly is irrelevant to the overall plot lines but are incredibly important in creating the atmosphere and history of Morpheus. Leave out the bit about how he gets back his bag of sand, ruby and helm? I mean he doesn't really use them the rest of the story right? Those were icons Neil used to tie in to the old DC Sandman comic to make the publisher's happy right? Yet we learn so much about Morpheus in that battle in hell...where he became Hope and wins. It also introduces us to his relationship with Lucifer which definitely impacts later in the story.

So much of the story could be gutted and would be gutted by this sort of thought process. Personally I wouldn't be able to handle any parts of the story missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Sandman would have to just focus on one aspect of the story -- it is not something that as a whole could be made into a movie.

The fact remains that comics and movies are different media. Heck, comics, movies, TV, video games, and novels are all completely different. You can use every single one of them to tell a great story. Some particular stories are better in a certain medium than others. Some will never translate from one to another. I know many a fan will disagree with me on this, but I am often excited to see a well crafted translation into a different medium -- knowing that the new medium cannot capture every aspect of the original. I'm okay with that; it's part of what you have to give up when something is translated. Nothing can be translated and be kept 100% true.

Jeff and I used to discuss cast for a Sandman movie, praying that it would never actually be made. Then after seeing MirrorMask, I honestly believe that if Neil wrote the script and Dave did the visuals, we could have ourselves a movie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Check out this Public Radio interview thingy:

Neil Gaiman (main guest), Wil Wheaton, and Adam Savage

I don't know how long it will be up, but it starts around minute 8 or so. The whole thing is almost 3 hours. I'm only an hour in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
You had me until Wil Wheaton.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Emily Dickinson!!!

robot

(It's mainly Neil. Wil Wheaton only joins by phone for about 8 minutes or so. We watched 2/3 of it, and no Adam Savage yet. All Neil.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always feel like such a bad geek when i see people rave about this book. I read it, and beyond the parts that happen at the House on The Rock (which I've been to many times), I found it just reeeeaaaaally dull.

So I guess this is more of a plee to ask that no one throw rocks at me. At least none larger than my knee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
I always feel like such a bad geek when i see people rave about this book. I read it, and beyond the parts that happen at the House on The Rock (which I've been to many times), I found it just reeeeaaaaally dull.

So I guess this is more of a plee to ask that no one throw rocks at me. At least none larger than my knee.

S'ok. I'm a huge Neil Gaiman fan. I want to love everything he's written, but the truth is, I don't. I can take or leave Anansi Boys. There are a few graphic novels and short stories of his that I just don't care for at all.

Sandman will always be #1, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
[q="stagger lee"]S'ok. I'm a huge Neil Gaiman fan. I want to love everything he's written, but the truth is, I don't. I can take or leave Anansi Boys. There are a few graphic novels and short stories of his that I just don't care for at all.

Sandman will always be #1, though.

Agreed on all points even about Anansi Boys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:

How big is your knee?

/begins sorting rock by size

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:
stagger lee wrote:

How big is your knee?

/begins sorting rock by size

I'm ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

Emily Dickinson!!!

So much easier to pronounce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
Emily Dickinson!!!

Portrayed by Claire Danes? I'm there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

(It's mainly Neil. Wil Wheaton only joins by phone for about 8 minutes or so. We watched 2/3 of it, and no Adam Savage yet. All Neil.)

It was only worth it to watch Adam Savage's impersonation of Gollum singing I Will Survive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Returning to the topic ...

An interview with Gaiman here
(props to Brian Bankler)

The first season would be the book, subsequent seasons would be drawn from
Neil Gaiman wrote:
a giant American Gods story that goes a lot further than the novel. The novel, in my head, was always just the opening blast of the trumpet.

I think it could work. I certainly hope it does!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.