Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Tigris & Euphrates» Forums » Rules

Subject: Civilization Buildings: Two different versions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I (finally) played with the civilization buildings, and some questions arose. I came here to refresh on them and discovered the Mayfair and Pegasus versions are worded differently.

Mayfair version wrote:
A tile supporting a building counts in conflicts; however, such a tile is never removed. Catastrophe tiles may not be played onto a tile supporting a building.

...which seems to imply that all the tiles 'supporting' the building are safe from removal.
{so...the three initial tiles are supporting? Or is the supporting tile just the single tile under the single building?}

Pegasus wrote:
...He simply places the appropriate building onto any one of the connected civilisation tiles of the appropriate row or column. This tile still counts during an external conflict; however after a lost conflict it is not removed from the board. {emphasis mine}
Once a civilisation building has been built, it remains there even if in the course of play the chain of civilization tiles should fall below three pieces. A catastrophe tile cannot be played directly on a civilisation tile that has a building on it.

So... is it just poor/ambiguous wording on Mayfair's part? Or did they change the rules (perhaps to eliminate questions like the one below)?

A rules question:

You cannot initially place a building unless you have a line of at least 3 tiles of the same color. But, if two of those tiles are later removed {see Pegasus rules above}, can the building be stolen/moved by someone making a line of two tiles, or do they need to make a line of three tiles (to satisfy the 'initial' building placement rule)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it is ambiguous, but when I read the mayfair rules I took "supporting tiles" to mean "tiles directly under buildings." If you go with this assumption, then the rule sets agree.

And you always need a line of at least three tiles to acquire a building. That is clearly state, and nowhere does it say that destroying tiles of the current building owner changes that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was tempted to agree with you, but now I just noticed (how do I miss things like this?):

Mayfair wrote:
If you turn over a tile supporting a building in order to build a monument or ziggurat, remove the building and place beside the board for future use.

Example 6: The horizontal line of 3 blue farms (A) supports the Granary. The vertical trio of red temples (B) supports the Library. {emphasis mine}

...so Mayfair did change the meaning of supports.

I understand what they are establishing: the line of tiles corresponding to a building can only grow in size (unless a monument or ziggurat is built). But from my severely limited experience, I think the Pegasus rules might be better: the building could change hands more often. I wonder which rules-set the good Doctor supports?

Can anyone out there chime in on the play of these expansions, one rules-set or the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schmitt
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posing the question... I own the Mayfair version and I too found the wording ambiguous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the french edition (Matagot) there's an example where a player plays a disaster tile on a tile supporting a monument, but not the tile directly under this monument, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can blame Mayfair - I've seen RK's original rules and they were a lot clearer. Still not quite perfect though, there are quite a few corner cases to handle here, some never asked on the Geek (well, not in the Rules forum anyway).

I'd recommend getting hold of the new FFG rulebook when it is released. I think it may clean up this whole area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.