Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Quarriors!» Forums » General

Subject: Terrible, terrible name... but looks interesting! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
I don't know how many weeks this thing has been on "the Hotness" but I was never tempted to click on the link to learn more as the name seemed pretty goofy/lame.

I only ended up on the game page after following a photo of the dice and everything that I read/saw said "this is my sort of game!"

Shame about the name though...
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the name.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Qurriors, sounds like warriors to me. Lucky that game titles do not bother me at all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the name, but it doesn't bother me. This is an insta-buy for me.

"Quarriors, come out to playyyy."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One way to draw attention in this crowded business is to make inquiring minds want to know. Quirky names often work in this regard.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The quantity of q words doesn't nessassarily disqualify the game from deserving praise; rather is quaint to make up words like "quiddity" to quantify the currency in the game. I'm sure they quickly went through a list of qualifying words and picked a quantity of them to include (or in some cases, make up.)

I am sure the prospect of a quality game that has been done such justice in a Components Breakdown quickens the desire for the game and quiets concerns the game itself with the strange q word "Quarriors."

I had a quirky idea that it was a game about fighting while working in a quarry.

need to work 'Quests' in there somewhere...
4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
It turns out "quiddity" is a real word.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kakupacal wrote:
I don't know how many weeks this thing has been on "the Hotness" but I was never tempted to click on the link to learn more as the name seemed pretty goofy/lame.

I only ended up on the game page after following a photo of the dice and everything that I read/saw said "this is my sort of game!"

Shame about the name though...


Ditto, but I'll go one step further and say that the siliness of the name + the logo used for the representative image here on BGG make it seem like the latest SJG munchkin-derivative.

It's a crying shame.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
kakupacal wrote:
I don't know how many weeks this thing has been on "the Hotness" but I was never tempted to click on the link to learn more as the name seemed pretty goofy/lame.

I only ended up on the game page after following a photo of the dice and everything that I read/saw said "this is my sort of game!"

Shame about the name though...


Ditto, but I'll go one step further and say that the siliness of the name + the logo used for the representative image here on BGG make it seem like the latest SJG munchkin-derivative.

It's a crying shame.


I disagree completely. I've never heard of anyone buying or not buying a game based on the name unless it was tied into a licensed product.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
rickert wrote:
Asmor wrote:
kakupacal wrote:
I don't know how many weeks this thing has been on "the Hotness" but I was never tempted to click on the link to learn more as the name seemed pretty goofy/lame.

I only ended up on the game page after following a photo of the dice and everything that I read/saw said "this is my sort of game!"

Shame about the name though...


Ditto, but I'll go one step further and say that the siliness of the name + the logo used for the representative image here on BGG make it seem like the latest SJG munchkin-derivative.

It's a crying shame.


I disagree completely. I've never heard of anyone buying or not buying a game based on the name unless it was tied into a licensed product.


You would have heard of it in this instance because I would not have investigated the game based on simply seeing the name.

But you're misunderstanding my point - it's not as though a person would learn about this game, check out the components, peruse the online rules and then decide to pass because they didn't like the name. That's not what I'm saying at all... I'm saying that without ANY other info to go by, the goofy name didn't do much to draw my interest to seeing what it was about BEYOND the name.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
But you have a quirky avatar
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The name is kind of odd, but not in an offensive way.

Cameron
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the name. Most people would find it catchy. It is a name that "oozes" "what the heck is this?"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:
It turns out "quiddity" is a real word.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Reynolds
United States
Greenwood
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall times in my youth when people would walk up to a group of us and say "hey, what are you playing"? and I would have to respond "Magic"... Heaven forbid one add "The Gathering" as well. I don't really like the name Quarriors, but it's in no way a deterrent from the game itself.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dubya
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I know where you live, and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will CRY when they see what I've done to you.
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
"Quarriors, come out to playyyy."

This should really be the marketing tagline for the game, as I know it's one of the first things I thought of - plus, the whole "come out to play" makes more sense as it's like a game and all...

For those that don't get it:
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the rulebook, the "qu," theme continues, as each die is called a "Quarry," and you spend, "Quiddity," to get them. You are apparently trying to deliver your quarry to Empress Quiana, while everyone else is trying to stop you.

"Empress Quiana?" Seems like a missed opportunity. I can see them thinking that "Queen Quiana," would be too much, but after going this far, why not?

Maybe the theme isn't "qu" words, but "nonsense 'qu' words."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Queen Quiana's Quarriors fighting quantities of quarry.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the name and imagery.

Its unique so that internet searches are limited only to it, and obviously a quirky warrior game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Geosphere wrote:

Its unique so that internet searches are limited only to it, and obviously a quirky warrior game.


Not that obvious, really. Seeing it in the Hotness for a time, I assumed it was some weird abstract game with shapes like Blokus or somesuch.

This reminds me (slightly) of a current situation where I guy I work with has a band with a name so quirky and odd that I literally cannot remember the name of it 10 minutes after he's told me (again). It's quirky, sure, but not particularly memorable or evocative.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Neal
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kakupacal wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

Its unique so that internet searches are limited only to it, and obviously a quirky warrior game.


Not that obvious, really. Seeing it in the Hotness for a time, I assumed it was some weird abstract game with shapes like Blokus or somesuch.

This reminds me (slightly) of a current situation where I guy I work with has a band with a name so quirky and odd that I literally cannot remember the name of it 10 minutes after he's told me (again). It's quirky, sure, but not particularly memorable or evocative.



and while I get what you are saying here, and your previous points on the matter, I do not think this is quite the same. As Quarriors, while (Q)wirky....to say the least. IS close enough to a real word that it would seem to have SOME staying power at least. As far as attention grabbing names go in this biz. While not sure what it was I assure you there was no danger of me forgetting the name after the first viewing for this very reason. Alls fair in gaming and naming I suppose, anyway thumbs up for pre-ordering, AND for looking past the name obfuscation and digging into the goodness underneath! I look forward to this one myself!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sims
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kakupacal wrote:
I don't know how many weeks this thing has been on "the Hotness" but I was never tempted to click on the link to learn more as the name seemed pretty goofy/lame.


Same here, I've only just clicked on it now after ignoring it for the past few weeks. I had the same issue with Yspahan.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They might be on to something with the name, as Qwirkle just won the SDJ.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, there are so many great games with strange/foreign names that I didn't even give it a second thought. Agricola? Caylus? Olympos? Yinsh? Carcassone? Yomi?

What's in a name? Apparently nothing, especially when it comes to boardgames. If it's in the hotness, do yourself a favor and at least give it a look.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.