Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinda strange since protester is in the next little town over from me.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/cityregi...

Quote:
"I have questions: Who are these people? Are they American citizens? Has anyone done a background check on them?" said Tucci, whose church is part of a national network of Bible-based churches with headquarters in Reserve, La., according to its website. "I'm not saying all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslims. We need more information about these people before they are allowed to move in and ruin a community."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Always nice to come across someone who's never heard of the IRA, the Tamil Tigers, the Rote Armee Fraktion etc. etc. etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tscook wrote:
Latrobe and the rest of Westmoreland county are just rural shitholes comprised mostly of those too stupid to leave, so I'm not surprised.

Thanks. Maybe one day I'll be smart enough to leave and you can buy me a congratulatory beer. Not Rolling Rock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
How dare that SOB link muslims and terrorists?!?!?

He should have known his dumbass neighbors and the local media would pretend to not know what he means.

Yeah! All he means is that anytime a muslim does something in America we should utilize enhanced surveillance. Freedom is for real American's only. And by real American's, we mean the European colonial American's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald wrote:
tscook wrote:
Latrobe and the rest of Westmoreland county are just rural shitholes comprised mostly of those too stupid to leave, so I'm not surprised.

Thanks. Maybe one day I'll be smart enough to leave and you can buy me a congratulatory beer. Not Rolling Rock.

Yeah, you and that Arnold Palmer character - he never did look that smart! Those of us in Beaver County laugh in your general direction!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

He should have known his dumbass neighbors and the local media would pretend to not know what he means.

Yeah, dumb ass media writing down what he said and not what he meant.

tscook wrote:
but Allegheny county is obviously the best county.

Sure is. I will feel bad about making you pay the Allegheny county drink tax though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
How dare that SOB link muslims and terrorists?!?!?

Not all men are rapists, but all* rapists are men?

(*OK, 99 %)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah right, there are virtually no terrorists on this world without muslim background...oh wait...hundreds. But never let facts get in the way of a good story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
StefanSasse wrote:
Yeah right, there are virtually no terrorists on this world without muslim background...oh wait...hundreds. But never let facts get in the way of a good story.

I forgot, in BGG-world the real terrorist was George Bush.

Carry on with the blather. For a moment I forgot the population I was dealing with.

Oh snap! Stefan thought Koldfoot wasn't going to have a good comeback to his facts and stuff, but then he was all "SHAZAM! I said something that makes no sense!" and Stefan had to eat his words. I guess we all learned a valuable lesson here. You mess with the bull, and you get a nonsensical ad hominem attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
I think people have the perception that "Westernized" Islam is identical to what you see in Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc.

In the Middle Eastern countries, there truly is no separation of church and state. The government will act - often violently - upon the laws of the Koran. Those terrifying "terrorist camp" mosques that teach the youth that America is evil definitely do exist and definitely do exist in great numbers. But that has to do with the government and the environment, not the mosque itself. It would be equally silly to judge all churches based on the actions of Westboro Baptist Church.

So, the fear that people feel from mosques moving into their neighborhood is misguided, but completely understandable if they're thinking that the mosques/muslim communities are going to be like the mosques/muslim communities in the Middle East.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Aurendrosl wrote:
I think people have the perception that "Westernized" Islam is identical to what you see in Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc.

In the Middle Eastern countries, there truly is no separation of church and state. The government will act - often violently - upon the laws of the Koran. Those terrifying "terrorist camp" mosques that teach the youth that America is evil definitely do exist and definitely do exist in great numbers. But that has to do with the government and the environment, not the mosque itself. It would be equally silly to judge all churches based on the actions of Westboro Baptist Church.

So, the fear that people feel from mosques moving into their neighborhood is misguided, but completely understandable if they're thinking that the mosques/muslim communities are going to be like the mosques/muslim communities in the Middle East.

Is it completely understandable if they're just stupid, ill-informed, and xenophobic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Aurendrosl wrote:

Is it completely understandable if they're just stupid, ill-informed, and xenophobic?

Hindisght is 20/20. We still imprisoned the Japanese during WWII. We still went to war against a lot of Communist countries for no other real reason other than that they had a different governmental ideology than us.

Some Muslims crashed into some buildings on some day in September. It doesn't justify the fear in a moral/ethical sense, but it makes the fear of muslims understandable, as in "I can see the cause and effect nature of this situation, therefore it is understandable even though their fears are misguided".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
OK. Name a non-muslim terrorist group that is a threat to this guy. Name one that is of any significance whatsoever to most Americans.

You might consider the TSA, NRA, Tea Party patrons or the republicans to fit the bill. But really.... hide your true emotions and try to answer after you've thought for a moment.

While I'm sure you think that's a fascinating question, you're missing the point entirely. "Mosque" does not equal "terrorists." If this guy wants to hide under his bed from the big bad muslim terrorists like the brave American hero he is, good for him. That has nothing to do with building a mosque in his neighborhood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Aurendrosl wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Aurendrosl wrote:

Hindisght is 20/20. We still imprisoned the Japanese during WWII. We still went to war against a lot of Communist countries for no other real reason other than that they had a different governmental ideology than us.

Some Muslims crashed into some buildings on some day in September. It doesn't justify the fear in a moral/ethical sense, but it makes the fear of muslims understandable, as in "I can see the cause and effect nature of this situation, therefore it is understandable even though their fears are misguided".

You keep saying "misguided" where I think you mean "idiotic."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aurendrosl wrote:
Hindisght is 20/20. We still imprisoned the Japanese during WWII.

You know, if you want to argue that animus against Muslims is "understandable," you might not want to use one of if not the major anti-minority policy/legal decision in American history that is widely construed to be completely morally and ethically wrong as your example thereof.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
You know, if you want to argue that animus against Muslims is "understandable," you might not want to use one of if not the major anti-minority policy/legal decision in American history that is widely construed to be completely morally and ethically wrong as your example thereof.

So you're saying that an irrational fear against a people group is not understandable in the context of history and that it makes no sense? I'm not arguing ethics here. I'm saying that it's perfectly understandable that people would misapply their fear to a people group. It's happened before and it'll happen again.

djgutierrez77 wrote:

You're saying these people should have no fear at all of extremist Islamic terrorists in any circumstances?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koldfoot wrote:
OK. Name a non-muslim terrorist group that is a threat to this guy. Name one that is of any significance whatsoever to most Americans.

For instance, IRA and ETA are two groups with deeply Catholic roots that during my lifetime have had an impact on the level of Hamas or Hezbollah. Shall we ban Catholic churches, too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
"Mosque" does not equal "terrorists."

In your world, where do terrorists congregate?

If someone was building a baptist church, a mormon temple, a hindu temple and a muslim mosque in your neighborhood, which pastor/priest/cleric behind the building of the structure would you want more information on before you feel secure?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waco_siege

Can't speak for anyone else here, but as a Christian who is aware of Christian history, I am just as wary of a new church moving into town as a mosque.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koldfoot wrote:
HeinzGuderian wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

For instance, IRA and ETA are two groups with deeply Catholic roots that during my lifetime have had an impact on the level of Hamas or Hezbollah. Shall we ban Catholic churches, too?

Congratulations. You named two terrorist groups.

Now answer the question.

The significance and threat to most Americans is on the same level. Their economic impact is probably larger, since these groups have been messing with the economy of direct trade partners of the USA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
"Mosque" does not equal "terrorists."

In your world, where do terrorists congregate?

If someone was building a baptist church, a mormon temple, a hindu temple and a muslim mosque in your neighborhood, which pastor/priest/cleric behind the building of the structure would you want more information on before you feel secure?

You're asking the wrong guy. I hate religions. All of them equally. I'd rather not have any of them. But I'd say in this country, at this point in time, the baptist church is the one that presents the greatest threat to the things I hold dear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Aurendrosl wrote:
mightygodking wrote:

So you're saying that an irrational fear against a people group is not understandable in the context of history and that it makes no sense? I'm not arguing ethics here. I'm saying that it's perfectly understandable that people would misapply their fear to a people group. It's happened before and it'll happen again.

djgutierrez77 wrote:

You're saying these people should have no fear at all of extremist Islamic terrorists in any circumstances?

I'm saying that it's idiotic to let your fear of terrorists bleed over to a fear of an entire group of people. I'm afraid of lions, but that doesn't mean I avoid housecats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
I'm saying that it's idiotic to let your fear of terrorists bleed over to a fear of an entire group of people. I'm afraid of lions, but that doesn't mean I avoid housecats.

Which is exactly why I used the term "misplaced fear". I don't see why this was even a discussion in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koldfoot wrote:
Soooooo, shall we add China and the Federal Reserve to your list.

Soooooo you basically have no argument to defend. Don't let that prevent you from staying xenophobic for Murika's sake, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm biased, since I've come close to death or severe injury due to terrorism only once and it was a Christian terrorist group...but it was also outside of the U.S.

It's not correct that all terrorists who threaten U.S. citizens (even if we limit ourselves to citizens on U.S. soil) are Muslim, but let's assume for the moment that it was true. If there are ballpark two million Muslims, what percentage of Muslims are terrorists? As has been pointed out, virtually all rapists are male. Should we exercise additional scrutiny on places men hang out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

You're asking the wrong guy. I hate religions. All of them equally. I'd rather not have any of them. But I'd say in this country, at this point in time, the baptist church is the one that presents the greatest threat to the things I hold dear.

And on that note we have established who is the lion seeking to act like a housecat.

Thank you for showing your true colors. I have a plane to catch.

I'm not sure what you mean, but I do like sleeping in the sun and licking myself clean, for whatever that's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.